• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The whoa! thread (Coolest RC pics!)

Nick

"My only gripe is that you never seem to see a video of these rocket powered cars doing any great speeds..."

I actually totally agree! For me, it's been & is a question of finding someone I trust enough ideally to be controlling the vehicle while I video it the way only I would know how, but it may have to be the other way around. This is such a lonely hobby, not actually easy to pin anyone down for such assistance (I'm near J15 of the M1).

"My only gripe is that you never seem to see a video of these rocket powered cars doing any great speeds..."

I actually totally agree! For me, it's been & is a question of finding someone I trust enough ideally to be controlling the vehicle while I video it the way only I would know how, but it may have to be the other way around. This is such a lonely hobby, not actually easy to pin anyone down for such assistance (I'm near J15 of the M1).

Yep I completely see where you are coming from - I bash at a local BMX track and have yet to get anybody to get me some decent vids.

Oh and I would definitely be doing the controlling of the car whilst somebody else videos it!

Or ....

How to start a forest fire in one easy lesson?????????

Al.

Ha ha - indeed! The risk is seasonal.

...Oh and I would definitely be doing the controlling of the car whilst somebody else videos it!

Ha - I think I'll take your advice!  The other thing is - often a sense of speed on other videos is gotten across via jumps/skids/tricks, whatnot - whereas this thing at full pelt, you do not touch the steering at all.  So I guess it'll need to be a case of camera at a fixed location, and have the car comes towards and then fly past the camera - which I guess will need to pan? But then again, panning can play down the speed, possibly.

I'll have a go when I get some help (videoing!).

On flat, shorn grass, it'll be doing about 70/75mph quite easily.

Arif

Edited by Arif

Ha - I think I'll take your advice!  The other thing is - often a sense of speed on other videos is gotten across via jumps/skids/tricks, whatnot - whereas this thing at full pelt, you do not touch the steering at all.  So I guess it'll need to be a case of camera at a fixed location, and have the car comes towards and then fly past the camera - which I guess will need to pan? But then again, panning can play down the speed, possibly.

I'll have a go when I get some help (videoing!).

On flat, shorn grass, it'll be doing about 70/75mph quite easily.

Arif

I find the easiest way to get the speed across to the viewer is at distance - if the viewer can see just how fast it is covering the length of say a football pitch then it is much easier....specially on a slightly undulating surface where the car is up and down all the time.

75mph would be very impressive!!

How long does the tank of fuel last run wise?

JET-POWERED MAVERICK BLACKOUT

I hope that a jet-powered Maverick Blackout is worthy of mention on this thread!

The engine is the new Wren DC100 iKero - so fully digital, inc brushless starter motor and fuel pump.

peQwrRAl.jpg

3UG6m1Vl.jpg

Y5PCeZnl.jpg

And finally as requested a good few moons ago - videos of motion of some sort!

The microphone ceases to pick up the actual noise at certain RPMs, sounding more like trying to tune a radio.

On move-off, watch the tree-foliage in the further background. That was about 100,000rpm

https://youtu.be/IguVcGxH15A

And another...I just blipped the throttle to about 70% power for a few seconds, the rest was momentum:

https://youtu.be/uCFKifDL-2U

And lastly - gentle movement!

https://youtu.be/nZ-0m8pty2k

I bought a jet powered roller from a guy on eBay, was it you?

How long does the tank of fuel last run wise?

It'll get through its 4.2 litres in about 40mins of tootling, including five or six speed runs (covering about 300metres each way), and generally circuiting a double football-field-sized area around 10 times.

In its first iteration, I'd naively run it on a normal Maverick fuel tank - which was nigh-on half empty just after start-up and idling for a few minutes - as a result, it would flame out upon any real acceleration, as the fuel that was left chucked to the back of tank, away from the fuel pick-up.

That petrol tank that can be seen is simply the Maverick's tank left as it was, for a bit of ballast and to lower the centre of gravity a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Jet-powered Maverick update

Okay - a new video this time! I thought of a way of getting across what 10kg of thrust 'looks like':

HEADPHONE/EARPHONE USERS - KEEP YOUR VOLUME TURNED DOWN!!

https://youtu.be/Swl5m_PGgSI

Edited by Arif