• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show us your Buggy!

On 07/08/2017 at 01:28, MissT said:

Hi, here's my DF-02 Gravel Hound! 

I bought it secondhand to help amuse the kids and found myself immersed in it too.

It had front and rear alloy shock towers and a sport motor fitted. It hadn't been used much.

Within 10 minutes I'd whacked it into my car wheel on the drive and broke the front shock tower. Fixed with cable ties, 10 minutes later a front shock had lost it's bottom collar.

Back indoors I realised a lot of screws had come loose as well. I'm still working on curing this a month later with loctite as and when something comes loose. Feel free to offer advice on this problem!

Much internet perusal and forum has ensued recently :lol:

The next day I hit something else hard and snapped a shock this time, so I ordered some very pretty blue and yellow metal ones, some ballraces, and an alloy propshaft and waited impatiently for them to arrive.:crying:  

I dismantled the gearboxes and cleaned and greased them while I was waiting.

While it was in pieces I realised the suspension could be raised a bit higher. With the new parts fitted I wound the preload adjusters down to match stifness front and rear. It's transformed the car with much tighter handling and less snagging obstacles that my iffy driving can't avoid! :lol:

Perhaps inadvisedly I fitted a Tamiya dirt tuned motor a few days ago. It's now really fast and quite a handful but the kids giggle a lot and it really flies off our home made ramp.

One of the lovely new shocks took a big whack the other day, it completely bent the piston shaft (if that's the right name for it)

Much dismayed I took it my workshop-equipped motorbike enthusiast neighbour who unbelievably (to me) stripped it down and patiently tapped it perfectly straight again using a vice, a little hammer and a piece of glass (to roll it on and check for straightness) 

Refitted, it's perfect and leak free. Hooray! :D

Another bump on the front today and a bottom spring cup fell off of the other front shock, I did find it though.

I need to find a way to-

A. Stop hitting immovable objects.

B. Make the front of the car more resistant to immovable objects!

This evening I filled the underbody voids with epoxy as an offering to the gods of RC car crashes, I've yet to research crash resistance methods or driver improvement :P

Other material upgrades in the future could be a turnbuckle set and steering linkage. I've ordered a set of road tyres and wheels too, for a bit of variety.

I know I talk too much :rolleyes:

2017-08-07 00.27.51.jpg

The Df-02 is a good fun buggy iv'e had mine a good few years now  and was the first buggy i ever upgraded i love getting it out on the very rare occasion these days but it always puts a smile on my face. i put a piece of 2mm aluminium on the front which i made fit close but not right up against the gearbox casing  it just slips under the shock tower and fixes with the gearbox screw to hold it in place there's a small gap behind it like a crumple zone it also keeps that front hinge pin in check i also turned the whole thing silver with gpm parts from asiatees  that's quite expensive to do but i don't regret it one bit i just wish there was an alloy chassis available id of probably got that too, The wing is hand made from the same aluminium as the front protection 1 single piece just cut and shaped as per the original plastic wing   anyway here's a couple of pic's for inspiration hope they give you a couple of ideas.

DF 02 gravel hound.jpg

gh df02.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, spikeot said:

Kyosho Turbo Scorpion that I have just built. Before and after a good run at the park.

It's running a 4000Kv motor on 2S and it's almost frighteningly quick to me. Apart from the Lunch Box I just built for my 7 year old daughter a few weeks ago, this is my first car in almost 30 years! Brushless and LiPo performance are incredible to me as I was raised on standard 540 motors and NiCad batteries. The shocks, while good quality are far too soft for messing around/ jumping, so I'll need to get some stiffer springs and damper oil, but apart from that, it's fantastic. I bought it so that I'd have something to play with while my daughter ran the Lunch Box. Now I've been bitten by the bug again and have a brushless Mad Van following on soon. D'oh.

IMG_1896.JPEG

IMG_1898.JPEG

IMG_1900.JPEG

Love it 

4 hours ago, spikeot said:

IMG_1896.JPEG

Fantastic looking buggy mate, I really like that  :good:

4 hours ago, spikeot said:

It's running a 4000Kv motor on 2S and it's almost frighteningly quick to me. 

And yes I bet it's plenty fast on 2s with that motor! :rc_car:

Edited by James RC

• 2 weeks later...

Schumacher Cougar Laydown.

Came to me used, but very clean looking. Basically a plug and play, including one lipo, for £190 including a small tub of spares.

2 more of the same lipo arrived on the same day, and an alternative shell the other day. OMG, I haven't painted any body shells in years! 🙄

Heh, it won't stay that clean for long. Apparently it was raced mostly indoors, and infrequently. Which is why it got sold on. So I'll have to thrash it up and down the road for now. Race tires are on the way too.IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.15d501d56f33ada4c7e55bfdb749e79e.JPG

Edited by cheapo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 11:57, cheapo said:

Schumacher Cougar Laydown.

Came to me used, but very clean looking. Basically a plug and play, including one lipo, for £190 including a small tub of spares.

2 more of the same lipo arrived on the same day, and an alternative shell the other day. OMG, I haven't painted any body shells in years! 🙄

Heh, it won't stay that clean for long. Apparently it was raced mostly indoors, and infrequently. Which is why it got sold on. So I'll have to thrash it up and down the road for now. Race tires are on the way too.IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.15d501d56f33ada4c7e55bfdb749e79e.JPG

Nice 👍👍

my old hyper 7 black that has been dormant for years is now a leccy, finished it earlier and it survived the first run while been mad and trying to wheely on 4s lol 🙂

Qxk6VuV.jpg

tEQpOy4.jpg

well impressed with it 🙂

• Like 2