• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Jang (Ultimate RC)

gazzab

Anybody that is a member of Ultimate RC should know who i'm talking about here, is it just me or is that guy unable to take any sort of criticism on his reviews ?

He recently reviewed the Thunder Tiger Mini Rally car and absolutely slaughtered it, one my mates own this car as the ARTR version and i think it is a superb car and very well build and put together, so i questioned his comment and he then accuses me of a personal attack on him !!!!

I think that when he reviews something he thinks he's right and everybody else is wrong.

Has anybody else noticed this ?

I think Jang is THE MOST honest, down to earth and knowledgeable reviewers out there! As said above he is always criticised of being sponsored but does it out of the kindness and helpfulness of his heart.

IMO, he takes criticism well IF it is put in a constructive way. Nobody wants or likes d!ckheads commenting loads of rubbish about them on their own videos ?

Edited by UltimateRC

I've heard similar things, but in the virtual world it's a little difficult to prove anything. It's possible that he gets so much criticism that he's built a simple defence mechanism whereby he just tells people to "sod off"? I don't rate him as an RC god, just a guy who loves all aspects of RC, makes great videos and is probably making a nice living off his hobby.

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 2

I dont have any issues with the guy at all. He said the HPI Gymkhana i have is one of the best he's tested but to me if you watch his review on the thunder tiger there is no way hes driving it in the way he's capable of. It seems hes taking jumps at speeds where the car will fail then changes things on the car and drives it the way he should so he looks like a hero.

Sorry if I'm digging this thread up a bit, But i'm kinda glade some of you hold Jang in high regard, See I was having a discussion around Here about how a RTR should be just that, And you shouldn't have to lock tight stuff, And do this and do that, The product is sold as RTR, and so should be, I felt a little out there on my own, But it was a good discussion.

But I was have a little watch through some of Jang's reviews(Cos I think there pretty good to be honest) and found myself watching one about the

It then gets to about 2 minutes 50 seconds, At last, Someone thought in higher regard than me, That has the exact same feelings as me, I feel all gushy inside.

At the end of the day. any review will contain a degree of opinion mixed with whatever testing the reviewer did. The kit is only on test for a short while, so it will never reflect the reality of longer term ownership...but it does give a guide for people buying.

There will always be people who do not experience teh problems a reviewer did, or experience issues the reviewer didn't. That's life...and why I always try and read a few different reviews on a product if I can.

Personally...I find Jang's reviews are pretty comprehensive. His voice sends me to sleep....but the reviews are spot on :)

• Like 2

His voice sends me to sleep....but the reviews are spot on :)

summed up perfectly :xd: :xd:

he is a one man cure for insomnia, but his reviews of brand new cars is about as good as you can possibly get to be honest....

which on the flip side of that is completely different review of say a 6 month old car and this is where the arguements lie......

we need reviews of r/c thats been used regularly for say 6 months of use then find what needs doing to keep it bashworthy...

the end comparrison will probably be very different.....

thats my thoughts :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't see how owning a car for longer has any relevance on a review.

Using the TT Mini rally car as an example, the stock tyres will still be rubbish, and only TT's wheels and tyres for that specific car will fit, stones will still get caught in the wheels and the handling will still be the same on the same surfaces.

Only way to review would be different is if he carried out mods and upgrades on the car.

Problem then is, your reviewing the mods NOT the car, plus to be fair he would have to try every manufacturer of each upgrade as well, it starts getting a noggin expensive then.

I'm sure i've seen some of his vids where he modifies cars, but you can't expect him to hop up every single car he tests with every single hop up.

Again using this example he did try to change the wheels and tyres but they didn't fit.

Some good YT channels out there for RC stuff, i think the best bet is to watch a few, do some searching and reading and form an opinion somewhere between the haters and the fan boys.

It's also important to read to between the lines.

If you go on the USA crawler forums you'd think the XR10 is the best crawler ever made, the truth is it's absolutely terrible out of the box barely fit for purpose never mind the best crawler there is, the Losi MRC is exactly the same.

It's only when you read the build logs and find that the comp XR10's really have very little Axial parts left on them that the penny drops.

Good luck trying to point out any problems with it as stock or any problems with many of the upgrade parts companies though. :banghead:

So you just have to sensible and draw your buying advice from as many sources as you can .

When I was choosing cars for my son and I, I watched loads of reviews from friends of rc, jang, squirrelod, etc for information.

Got to say tho, for presentability, informative facts and good advice, I favoured the jang. Just think he puts everything across very well as if you are watching a dedicated rc programme. You may not always agree with his view but its always put across very well and he never comes across as a d@&khead.

theres always one to argue a point and low and behold, here he his :xd: :xd: :xd:

so what your saying is that a box stock brand new r/c whether it be kit or rtr will perform exactly the same after "x" amount of batteries run through it or "x" amount of months running???

i fear your very wrong with this fella, im no fly by night rookie here either my friend :thumbsup:

what my point was jang does a great if not one of the best reviews of new r/c but it would be nice as a buyer to read/watch a review of say 6 months ownership to weed out the little problems a r/c may develop.

no doubt ill be wrong though...... :thumbsup:

• Like 3

theres always one to argue a point and low and behold, here he his :xd: :xd: :xd:

so what your saying is that a box stock brand new r/c whether it be kit or rtr will perform exactly the same after "x" amount of batteries run through it or "x" amount of months running???

i fear your very wrong with this fella, im no fly by night rookie here either my friend :thumbsup:

what my point was jang does a great if not one of the best reviews of new r/c but it would be nice as a buyer to read/watch a review of say 6 months ownership to weed out the little problems a r/c may develop.

no doubt ill be wrong though...... :thumbsup:

Come on Gaz, there are already enough drama queens here without you starting to swing that way as well.

I'm not arguing anything, just talking about my opinion on something, no need to start throwing a wobbly.

My point is what will change after 6 months?

If you keep the car stock then what ever flaws it had after 6 to 10 battery packs are still going to be there 6 months later.

As an example, if he bought a XR10 to try, then as soon as he started to put it through some serious use it's strip it's gears.

If he then replaced those gears with more stock gears, they'd strip again, and again, and again.

It's not like the 4th set of gears will somehow miraculously work better.

On the few vids i've watched he isn't doing quick tests, the cars i've seen him review have had a good old bashing over weeks not days and where needed on various terrains and tracks.

I'd say that if there was a inherent problem with a model then there is an extremely good chance it would show up in his tests, just take a look at his crash tests as an example.

Plus, it's not like the guy is getting for his contribution is it, why the hell would he stick with a fundamentally flawed car that is no fun to drive for 6 months :scared:

i aint throwing a wobbly or being a drama queen mate, not my style and theres enough of those about anyway :thumbsup:

im not pointing the finger at jang to do some older reviews either, we all have very different experiences of same r/c`s in lots of cases.

for one very valid casing point, jang is in the u.s where the temerature is considerably warmer than the u.k, therefore the plastics will act slightly differently more brittle in colder climates etc.

and also after 6 months of running could come up with a whole host of wear and tear items that might not be found on a review done over a few weeks and so many packs......

personally when buying a r/c i want to know what its like new (most of my r/c come new) and it would be nice to see what the main issues could be down the line.....at present i just hop them up to within a inch of there lives. i could be wasting money which could go towards another r/c.

or,

your a parent coming up to the christmas buying time, would you like to buy your child a car that will not just last the christmas holidays or last a fair old while before the need to spend any more money??

and following on from that, your child will then not lose interest as the car is always breaking and welcomes more newcomers into the hobby for little outlay.

im sure you can see what im getting at here?? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't always agree with his reviews because his requirements and mine aren't the same - even on the track the needs of a US dirt track are very different from a UK astro one. But he calls it as he sees it and I respect that.

That is the critical point - Your Mileage May Vary.

Reviews are worthwhile to get a comparison but a bad review does not mean its a bad RC. Just that it doesn't do what the reviewer wanted/expected it to do, whereas brand X's model does.

i have to agree with gaz on this one. with some of my cars, my second firestorm for example for the first 3-4 months it was great however after that i had massive wear issues with dog bones and cups i also had quite a number of failures. i think jang provides a very good baseline to guide purchases but also to direct further research. with certain cars like the merv he admits there are faults HE hasn't come across yet so he does himself accept that long term users may find a different result from his own

Everyone has their own taste the place would be a boring place if everyone was the same.

There is one solution really to all this, If you don't like his videos, don't watch them. If you do like his videos, watch them!

Simples really isn't it? Stop causing a rufase over it!

• Like 1

The way i look at jang reviews is very simple its all based on his experience with the said vehicle and said amount of time .. There a base line for guys to go off its not written in stone and you choose weather or not you want to take on what he says ..Your not forced to watch or forced to take on what he says .. They are there purely to try and make a fair judgement of a said vehicle from a guy with a huge amount of knowledge in the RC world .. If you don't agree with what he has to say great if you do great .. Why some folk's feel the need to post up weather they think he is wrong or right i just don't know ..

At the end of the day these are his thoughts that he has taken the time and effort to share and if he makes a few quid along the way then good luck to the guy

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 2

Using the TT Mini rally car as an example, the stock tyres will still be rubbish, and only TT's wheels and tyres for that specific car will fit, stones will still get caught in the wheels and the handling will still be the same on the same surfaces.

Only way to review would be different is if he carried out mods and upgrades on the car.

Problem then is, your reviewing the mods NOT the car, plus to be fair he would have to try every manufacturer of each upgrade as well, it starts getting a noggin expensive then.

I'm sure i've seen some of his vids where he modifies cars, but you can't expect him to hop up every single car he tests with every single hop up.

Again using this example he did try to change the wheels and tyres but they didn't fit.

Some good YT channels out there for RC stuff, i think the best bet is to watch a few, do some searching and reading and form an opinion somewhere between the haters and the fan boys.

It's also important to read to between the lines.

If you go on the USA crawler forums you'd think the XR10 is the best crawler ever made, the truth is it's absolutely terrible out of the box barely fit for purpose never mind the best crawler there is, the Losi MRC is exactly the same.

It's only when you read the build logs and find that the comp XR10's really have very little Axial parts left on them that the penny drops.

Good luck trying to point out any problems with it as stock or any problems with many of the upgrade parts companies though. :banghead:

So you just have to sensible and draw your buying advice from as many sources as you can .

It does matter, for example, If you bought a brand new MCD V4 and used it for a little while and done a review, you would not find the problem that people have found 2-3months down the line of the drive cups being cheese and the pin seriously eating into them. MCD have addressed the issue though, with a very expensive upgrade set...

This is what reviewers can miss.

• Like 2