• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

glow plugs keep burning out HELP?

jason3249

hi all...........

iv just got a traxxas t maxx 3.3

it was going fine iv had it for afew days

last owner left a tank of fuel in it

so the fuel has run out obviously i thank it was a yellowy colour

iv gon down to my model shop for some more and they give me BIG BANG 25

and now its just decided to blow 2 plougs after about 3mins of useing

i cant get hold of the last owner all i no is the old fuel what was in it when i got it was a yellowy colour

when i went to buy it i had a go for about 20mins and it was fine then i got it home and it was fine on the last tank it come with

any help wil gr8

Edited by jason3249

Plugs burn if its lean normally and will fail over-time if its rich due to being fauled by oil. But i guess you were useing those **** traxxas plugs? they're rubbish whey die all the time. If i were you i would buy a few os or o'donnell glow plugs as both are good.

Check the tune - been lean burns them out

Running rich coats them in slime - so when you do burn it off testing the plug it smokes alot

the plugs - Make sure you have the correct plug

The 3.3 is a Small block engine, running on 25% - you will need a medium/medium cold plug

I would have thought an OS #8 plug would be fine tho

I run a .21 with 25% no problems :)

Ziggy

iv just managed to get hold of the last owner and he says that it was on a traxxas plug and it was fine when he had it

there is no smoke when running....... and its very hard to start

and the shop sed that the 3,3 traxxas engine is a hot engine so i would need a hot plug or some think

what you lot think if its tuning where do i start.......

Edited by jason3249

it way to lean mate, richen it up by at least 1/4 of a turn to start with , then go back to 1/8 increments

im not good with all this tuning right do i turn it now...or if i turn the screw all the way in how many turns out sorry if im a pain...

Best bet is to tune from scratch.

No smoke and blowing plugs means it's very lean. This can potentially do a lot of harm to your engine, so be thankful the plugs blew fast!

Go find the manual...and if it didn;t come with one you can download it from the Traxxas website. Find the stock settings for your TRX 3.3 motor. The stock settings are deliberately rich and are intended for break in, so expect it to smoke a lot and run poorly. Least you won;t damage the motor like that.

Then, when you have warmed it up a bit, you can start tuning the motor. Lean off the high speed needle in 1/8 turns and run it each time. You should start to see the performance increase...but you should also ALWAYS have a healthy smoke trail at full throttle. When you think you have it ...richen it up by 1/8 of a turn for safety. I use an IR thermometer to keep an eye on temperatures when tuning, but you can also use the 'spit test'. Drop a blob of water down the cooling fins where the glowplug is and watch. If it sizzles, spits and boils off...it's too hot. If it just sits there...it's too cold. If it simmers away gently..you are about right. It's called the spit test becuase if you don;t have any water to hand...guess what you use :)

Always tuen from too rich towards lean, as lean running can lead to a siezed motor, which is only good for use as a paperweight. Those Traxxas motors are expensive paperweights.....

• Like 1

thanks m8

Best bet is to tune from scratch.

No smoke and blowing plugs means it's very lean. This can potentially do a lot of harm to your engine, so be thankful the plugs blew fast!

Go find the manual...and if it didn;t come with one you can download it from the Traxxas website. Find the stock settings for your TRX 3.3 motor. The stock settings are deliberately rich and are intended for break in, so expect it to smoke a lot and run poorly. Least you won;t damage the motor like that.

Then, when you have warmed it up a bit, you can start tuning the motor. Lean off the high speed needle in 1/8 turns and run it each time. You should start to see the performance increase...but you should also ALWAYS have a healthy smoke trail at full throttle. When you think you have it ...richen it up by 1/8 of a turn for safety. I use an IR thermometer to keep an eye on temperatures when tuning, but you can also use the 'spit test'. Drop a blob of water down the cooling fins where the glowplug is and watch. If it sizzles, spits and boils off...it's too hot. If it just sits there...it's too cold. If it simmers away gently..you are about right. It's called the spit test becuase if you don;t have any water to hand...guess what you use :)

Always tuen from too rich towards lean, as lean running can lead to a siezed motor, which is only good for use as a paperweight. Those Traxxas motors are expensive paperweights.....

thanks m8 i think it come with a thermoter...........

im not good with all this tuning right do i turn it now...or if i turn the screw all the way in how many turns out sorry if im a pain...

best easy to remember way to tune , think of the needles as water taps, anticlockwise lets more water out, same with tuning anticlockwise lets more fuel pass = richer

and the same applies to clockwise = leaner,

if starting from scratch tune in 1/8 of a turn

sorry i thought your post said you werent sure which way to turn ,, read it to fast sorry

Edited by dazj10

best easy to remember way to tune , think of the needles as water taps, anticlockwise lets more water out, same with tuning anticlockwise lets more fuel pass = richer

and the same applies to clockwise = leaner,

if starting from scratch tune in 1/8 of a turn

sorry i thought your post said you werent sure which way to turn ,, read it to fast sorry

hi m8

i dont no what way to go if i start from scratch then what do i do....... take the screw out then put it in abit then start.......... or turn it out all the way and till its just slighty to the end of dropping out or what

i mite sound thick is just im not that good with nitro thats why i went electric.....

iv just gon through the box of bits it come with there is a thermometer in there its got a looped wire obviously wraps around the head

what tempreature im i looking for

Edited by jason3249

fasten needle all in the way in,, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN just fasten up until you feel the slightest of resistance , then undo them to the manufacturers settings then start from there

HSN - 4 turns out

LSN - flush with valve or 1.5-1.75 turns out

IDLE 0.70-1mm open.

Edited by dazj10
  • Like 1

definately not normal mate, fuel shouldnt be anywhere near your airfilter and i never heard of any one with that problem before, how long is the tube that comes off the carb before it hits your filter

Fuel coming and soaking the filter is a sign that fuel is splashing back up - or a leak in the fuel line thats spraying the filter

And the 3.3 engine is a .198CC engine, on 25% it DOES NOT REQUIRE A HOT PLUG

A hot plug is for .15 engines running 16% nitro

You need a Warm / Warm cold plug - such as the os #8

As for running hot - they do but not hot like your saying

your hot because its running lean

Ziggy

and sort those fuel line too....

All thatll be doing is heating the fuel before it in the engine - it can affect tune alot once upto temperature

the oily cack all over the place wont help either, a dirty nitro is good, but too much = Overheating

Ziggy

Feel free to ignore me as I am fairly new to all this but :-

That black bit, is it not supposed to cover the fuel lin as it crosses the muffler.?

I.E Filter-.Fuel tube-Cut of-Black stuff covered fuel tube

I take it the fuel tube doesn't actually touch the header of the exhaust system. If it does re route, the fuel inlet can be swiveled, perhaps run the fuel tube the far side of the airfilter (mind you you would need to be careful routing it past(passed) that gear wheel).

The pressure line from the exhaust does not cause so much concern, but I would be worried about the fuel line passing over the header/muffler like that

Feel free to ignore me as I am fairly new to all this but :-

That black bit, is it not supposed to cover the fuel lin as it crosses the muffler.?

I.E Filter-.Fuel tube-Cut of-Black stuff covered fuel tube

I take it the fuel tube doesn't actually touch the header of the exhaust system. If it does re route, the fuel inlet can be swiveled, perhaps run the fuel tube the far side of the airfilter (mind you you would need to be careful routing it past(passed) that gear wheel).

The pressure line from the exhaust does not cause so much concern, but I would be worried about the fuel line passing over the header/muffler like that

??? i only put the top line like that for the pic so every one can see the air filter.....

Edited by jason3249

hi.......

iv just got in from the model shop

and they dont sell o'donnell plugs they sed its a hot plug i need

so i sed every one on here sed i dont need one of them i need a warm plug so he went through the book then they phoned some one and they sed i deffinatly need a hot plug

and they give me ENYA glow plug no3 hot plug

any good it cost me

I have been using enya plugs and they are spot on mate my picco has had 4 ltrs with the enya plug in it and is still fine, os plugs are also good, stay away from fastrax plugs they are gash i had one and only lasted 2ltrs although it did do my break in on my engine so i might try them again just to see how long they last on a good tune but for the enya plug i cant fault them the coils are slightly thicker so are robust to heat, but to be honest even the toughest plugs will burn out on a crap lean tune mate always stay on the rich side of a good tune by doing what nitroholic says by backing it off an 1/8th of a turn when your hitting high rpm.