• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

I know I might be mad, but I find cutting bodies and wings therapeutic. Before would use scissors but thought would try freehand with a scalpel. SOOO much easier and cleaner. Score few times and snap.

IMG_2207.thumb.jpg.4723fdec2f2350a2a4b58c69aeb69bd9.jpg

Edited by totlxtc
  • Like 3

On 22/02/2023 at 16:32, BlackSeaRC said:

That is the result after one night of snow...unfortunately, the downside is that we have been without power for 9 days because the snow brought down all the power lines.  I did manage to get this photo before the heavy snow and before the slipper clutch decided to malfunction.

DSC02668.thumb.JPG.7371e406526975cddce41167105f9abb.JPG

Now why would you put terrorist numberplate on your car?!

4 hours ago, totlxtc said:

I know I might be mad, but I find cutting bodies and wings therapeutic. Before would use scissors but thought would try freehand with a scalpel. SOOO much easier and cleaner. Score few times and snap.

IMG_2207.thumb.jpg.4723fdec2f2350a2a4b58c69aeb69bd9.jpg

I've seen that method on a few youtube videos I've been watching.  You're a far far braver man than me, I'm terrified of cutting out the body using straight scissors, curved scissors and a stanley knife, never mind just scoring with a stanley knife and snapping.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grogg said:

I've seen that method on a few youtube videos I've been watching.  You're a far far braver man than me, I'm terrified of cutting out the body using straight scissors, curved scissors and a stanley knife, never mind just scoring with a stanley knife and snapping.

Trick is to be light on the first pass and have the sharpest blade possible. I've been using scalpels for years so i'm used to freehanding, but feel free to use a METAL rule where possible (don't use a plastic rule...1/4 of my thumb knows that!). Then make about 3 passes around the lines. Once you have the first score, the blade (if you are patient and take your time) will just follow the score line. You can get heavier on the pressure the more cuts you do. Then just snap. I did 3 passes and that is a 1.5mm wing so far thicker than most bodies.

Edited by totlxtc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

Trick is to be light on the first pass and have the sharpest blade possible. I've been using scalpels for years so i'm used to freehanding, but feel free to use a METAL rule where possible (don't use a plastic rule...1/4 of my thumb knows that!). Then make about 3 passes around the lines. Once you have the first score, the blade (if you are patient and take your time) will just follow the score line. You can get heavier on the pressure the more cuts you do. Then just snap. I did 3 passes and that is a 1.5mm wing so far thicker than most bodies.

I plan on giving it a try on a off cut, once I get round to building my Rock Socker, but doing it on the first RC car I've ever had or made - well about to make, is a bit too much of a risk to take, especially when replacement body shells are hard to come by at the moment.  Building the rest of the car, I'm not worried about, it's the body I think I'm going to find the hardest and most stressful, it's the only thing I'm worried about doing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grogg said:

I plan on giving it a try on a off cut, once I get round to building my Rock Socker, but doing it on the first RC car I've ever had or made - well about to make, is a bit too much of a risk to take, especially when replacement body shells are hard to come by at the moment.  Building the rest of the car, I'm not worried about, it's the body I think I'm going to find the hardest and most stressful, it's the only thing I'm worried about doing.

Just take your time and dont rush. Decent quality lexan scissors (try to get straight and curved), sharp craft knife, 220 grit sandpaper and if you can some 2000 grit wet and dry.

1 hour ago, totlxtc said:

Just take your time and dont rush. Decent quality lexan scissors (try to get straight and curved), sharp craft knife, 220 grit sandpaper and if you can some 2000 grit wet and dry.

Sorted all that out, quality lexan straight and curved scissors, a jar full of Stanely and craft knives and more than enough extra new blades that I reckon I could easily invade and conquer Normandy all by myself,  reamer, brawl, a lot of grease and axle lubricant - I must have about a dozen different types, and probably around a third of the Amazon rain forest in good quality masking tape and sheets - 15cm by 18cm.  I plan to be extremely careful with the body - I spent a good hour just cutting out one of my home made templates to make sure that it was the right size, a side benefit I can do more with a printer now than I have ever been able to and am learning a tonne about graphic manipulation, creation, and stencils in GIMP and Photoshop, something I never expected or thought I would do, yet alone develop an interest in doing.  And as for sand paper I have from 220 grit up to 5000 grit wet and dry.

I figured I'd cut to within a couple of mm of where you're meant to cut the body along the cut line, and sand away the last few mm.  Then mask of the holes for lights, body mounts, and around the body where I've cut, to make sure I don't get any paint on the outside of the body, or that it works it's way under the protective plastic sheet that covers the body.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Grogg said:

Sorted all that out, quality lexan straight and curved scissors, a jar full of Stanely and craft knives and more than enough extra new blades that I reckon I could easily invade and conquer Normandy all by myself,  reamer, brawl, a lot of grease and axle lubricant - I must have about a dozen different types, and probably around a third of the Amazon rain forest in good quality masking tape and sheets - 15cm by 18cm.  I plan to be extremely careful with the body - I spent a good hour just cutting out one of my home made templates to make sure that it was the right size, a side benefit I can do more with a printer now than I have ever been able to and am learning a tonne about graphic manipulation, creation, and stencils in GIMP and Photoshop, something I never expected or thought I would do, yet alone develop an interest in doing.  And as for sand paper I have from 220 grit up to 5000 grit wet and dry.

I figured I'd cut to within a couple of mm of where you're meant to cut the body along the cut line, and sand away the last few mm.  Then mask of the holes for lights, body mounts, and around the body where I've cut, to make sure I don't get any paint on the outside of the body, or that it works it's way under the protective plastic sheet that covers the body.

Word of caution. If you are not cutting to the line and you are hoping to sand down to the line be aware that the protective film will start to fray and peel back, causing you issues when coming to paint. Its hard to mask off then as the masking tape is on the protective film and not actually attached to the body so both will peel back revealing the outer body. You could cut the protective film to the body line but you would have to be so accurate on your sanding you could still get paint on the outer body. Just trying to help.

• Like 1

It might feel scarier but I’ve definitely found using a scalpel to score the body and snapping off the excess the easiest, and cleanest, way of doing things. I doubt I’ll ever go back to trying to do this with scissors now, and haven’t needed to sand anything with this method either. 

For the last couple of shells I’ve done I’ve just started with a new scalpel blade (so nice and sharp), gone over the trim lines once with a reasonable (but not heavy) pressure and then folded along the score line before peeling the two sections apart. I’ll often cut up to the score line, from the edge of the excess, to make things easier if there are any tricky bits but not as often as shown in the video below. 

• Like 3

One of those really stupid things. The XB4 comes with this foam block to keep the battery moving around. So easy for it to fall out and be lost.

New one. Yeah, £5 for a piece of foam with a bit cut out!

9DF9043F-54A0-4CFB-9D27-0BA13B1625E5.thumb.jpeg.a7037fd37caef48c5e3364e0ab9f646e.jpeg

So i made 5 in 5 minutes from 1/10th piece of a block of £3 foam 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1