• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

well that was a waste of time and money.  i used a whole can just on the small areas  im sure traxxas paint the shells a different way as the paint just didn't work right.  But was hard trying to match the color of the shell

IMGgg_20210722_095619.jpg

IMG_20210720_173200.jpg

Blew it up!!’

Short lived and costly mistake, forgot to replace the spur cover and the battery strap (which I hadn’t tightened) got pulled into the spur and pinion and pop lots of sparks and smoke, brand new ESC is toast😤What an idiot!

57FDF346-A82E-4FC9-9779-4B001D5167C6.jpeg

A6F77687-6B2B-4816-B955-1E0B21EEAF07.jpeg

• Sad 9

14 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Blew it up!!’

Short lived and costly mistake, forgot to replace the spur cover and the battery strap (which I hadn’t tightened) got pulled into the spur and pinion and pop lots of sparks and smoke, brand new ESC is toast😤What an idiot!

57FDF346-A82E-4FC9-9779-4B001D5167C6.jpeg

A6F77687-6B2B-4816-B955-1E0B21EEAF07.jpeg

NO NO!!! ok so was this on 4s? Geared correctly? I dont see a strap stuck in anything 👀 .... castle will warrenty it imo if thats the way you want to go.... Just be smart about it, maybe dont mention the strap...
Really feel for ya, when mine popped i freaked out.

Edited by Redback
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redback said:

NO NO!!! ok so was this on 4s? Geared correctly? I dont see a strap stuck in anything 👀 .... castle will warrenty it imo if thats the way you want to go....

Yes 4 s and same gearing as previous motor, it was literally crawling along as I was testing how smooth it was at low speeds, it just stopped, heard a pop and smoke billowed out from under the shell, luckily managed to pull the battery as it was just on the point of fully igniting, the amount and speed  of smoke was pretty scary. I don’t think Castle will warrantee it’s totally my fault, I’m so annoyed at myself, it was fine, and  was going to pack it away, then I thought I give it one quick go.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Yes 4 s and same gearing as previous motor, it was literally crawling along as I was testing how smooth it was at low speeds, it just stopped, heard a pop and smoke billowed out from under the shell, luckily managed to pull the battery as it was just on the point of fully igniting, the amount and speed  of smoke was pretty scary. I don’t think Castle will warrantee it’s totally my fault, I’m so annoyed at myself, it was fine, and  was going to pack it away, then I thought I give it one quick go.

I really do feel your pain its a horrible feeling 🤗 a hug for you brother!
I hope you consider your options, a very costly mistake and really it should have cut off rather than popping, maybe contact them, whats the worst that can happen they say no?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Castle will replace it for you under their "Two Tier Non-Warranty". 

Info & form here: https://home.castlecreations.com/warranty-and-service

I bought a used XLX from eBay which turned out to be FUBAR. Another speed runner mentioned about the two tier warranty Castle offer so I filled in the "Non-Warranty RMA" form, selected what I wanted as a replacement (XLX2) and sent the ESC off to the USA via tracked delivery.  When they get it they will then email you for payment of your new replacement ESC plus postage back to the UK which will be less than the cost of buying new again. 
You can even select a different ESC to the one you broke if you like. 

I had emailed them before I read your post, that looks encouraging, will speak with them tomorrow, thanks for the help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Redback said:

I really do feel your pain its a horrible feeling 🤗 a hug for you brother!
I hope you consider your options, a very costly mistake and really it should have cut off rather than popping, maybe contact them, whats the worst that can happen they say no?

Thank you, I have emailed them, will see what they say and thanks for the hug😀

11 minutes ago, Tug said:

null_zps419b8549.jpg

I paid to have mine done. 

Was going to do mine black, but decided on a nice metalic green for the main colour. will be posting pic in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Quick update; cycled the affected pack a few times to get the cells balanced, this worked, albeit under very little load as the charger can only apply approx 1.6 Amps when discharging. However, I knew the true test would be under full load when driving in anger, it's been tested. 

The cell that was dropped has held up perfectly, it stayed in balance with the other five throughout an entire run. With the current set-up, I achieved approximately 25 minutes. 

Motor peaked at 75C, ESC 40C and cells 40C.

Bottom left is cell 4, the affected cell. As you can see it is looking good at 15% and not dropped lower than the others. 

20210723_150051

20210723_150129

20210723_150056

Temp reading isn't coming out well, but it was 53 after five minutes rest. 

20210723_150104

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Redback said:

You put tons of work into "bug" love to see her running again 🙂

im a bit mixed up with it at moment as i have 2  also got load of new parts  but cannot remember what im supposed to be doing.

• Like 1

Might have to give this pup and motor mount some 6S abuse down the line 😜IMG_20210723_204447.thumb.jpg.a4454bc401e7badae0d01abacdf45f41.jpg

P.s., I did buy the combo used, no this isn't a complaint. The seller was up front about the combos age and condition, this is more so me just being a bit extra and tearing it down because I like to tinker. But it brings it home that at a point my own motor is going to need a clean etc 

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1