• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareΒ all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

7 hours ago, Wltoys 12402-a said:

Just put my dusty motors covers on my shocks plus fitted my dusty motors cover don't look to bad tbf will see if it's any good when I take it out laterΒ 

20210428_134626.jpg

20210428_122331.jpg

20210428_141054.jpg

20210428_125919.jpg

So went out with it and it works amazing don't stop everything but at least 95% better and alot easier to clean love it πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘

• Like 1

Refilling shocks with oil, what's theΒ rebound supposed to be like WITHOUT the springs on? I can't seem to get them even. Some slower than others, some further than others...help?

Β 

P.s Quantum XT wing makes a nice shock rebuild station πŸ˜„Β photo of shocks about 30 secs after compression. The ones rebounding further have LESS oil in them as well…

image.jpg

4D88B046-3725-42BA-BFC8-7C3768330F61.jpeg

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 1

Have a read of this article from way back.

http://www.rcracer.com/2009/12/how-to-match-shocks/

Β 

Another trick if you have a shock that is 'long', open the top cap and dip an Allen key into the oil a little bit. Refit the cap. On a short shock it's surprising how much difference that makes.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

Have a read of this article from way back.

http://www.rcracer.com/2009/12/how-to-match-shocks/

Β 

Another trick if you have a shock that is 'long', open the top cap and dip an Allen key into the oil a little bit. Refit the cap. On a short shock it's surprising how much difference that makes.

Nice one. Thank you. Having difficulty deciding what’s best to do now. Got them all pretty dang close to each other. Also have a slightly firmer spring. I changed oil as the original was very thick, original spring now feels quite springy compared to the new oil with new firmer spring. Want it to float over bumps better but also want a nice feeling on smallish jumps. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Nice one. Thank you. Having difficulty deciding what’s best to do now. Got them all pretty dang close to each other. Also have a slightly firmer spring. I changed oil as the original was very thick, original spring now feels quite springy compared to the new oil with new firmer spring. Want it to float over bumps better but also want a nice feeling on smallish jumps. Thoughts?

Sorry dude. Not really my area of expertise.

There are a few different things that can affect how the shocks work. Stronger springs/ more preload will generally make the car sit higher. Thicker oil, fewer or smaller holes in the piston will slow the shock down, the opposite speeds them up.

Its all a bit of a balancing act. if its too soft you'll bottom either the car or shocks out potentially loosing control, but too firm and it won't react quick enough especially on small bumps ( not meaning jumps).

Β 

Sorry, but this probably doesn't really help πŸ™

• Thanks 1

Haha no it does, thank you. I had a feeling. Very similar to real cars then. Firmer, rougher ride, softer more comfy ride. Like you say, probably a bit of a balancing act. I’ll try the 500 cSt and the original springs and see what that’s like and then change over if need be 😊 thank you πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ»

Swapped out the steering turnbuckles for these aluminum ones I got. I’m not overly happy with them I have to say. Fitment just seems…off…and I can feel the pressure in the knuckles when I move them manually. I can’t begin to imagine the force on them when on a bash. I was warned, but against better judgement I went for them anyway. Debating on taking them off and fitting the HD ones I’ve got with the plastic ends instead. Unfortunately need to wait until the rear ones come back in before I can change them from the aluminum ones. Again, notΒ overly happy with them. Had to fit an extra small nut in behind to pull them away from the shocks as well.Β 

Β 

Also redid the shocks again as I’m not happy with them. Opened one and loads of air bubbles in it, so it was the right thing to do.
Β 

Also put new suspension arms on again, just the Maverick β€œupgraded” ones until my Metsafli come in. Will probably run them until they snap πŸ˜…

Β 

also fit some aluminum body posts. Tight fit, but hopefully won’t snap…or snap the body post mounts…

Β 

job for tomorrow I believe will be stripping down the diffs and refilling them with fresh oil. Also want to investigate the rear knuckle seems to have some play in it where the pillow ball mount is at. Think it’s the actual knuckle that’s going as everything else is tight. Maybe it took a knock? Investigation needed into that one. Debating on switching the spur and pinion gears to the metal ones I got as well, but am a bit hesitant on doing that as it seems to be fine at the moment. Mind that didn’t stop me from messing about with the steering turnbuckles…or changing shock oil…or wanting to put diff oil in…
Β 

Making decent progress for my first car though and learning a canny bit about them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 3

Doesn't it just @Stormbringer! Really like that @QRC.

Β 

So, I changed out the diff oils on my Quantum Flux XT. Can tell there's a difference already. Much smoother. Decided to leave the plastic spurs and pinions in place until I need to swap them to the metal ones I bought. We for more teeth on the spur (64 compared to 48 OEM) and a 19T pinion (13 OEM I think?) Loose a bit of top speed, but it should be a bit more torquey.

Β 

Got shocks sorted finally and there's actually some rebound now! Just need to adjust the turnbuckles on the front slightly as they pull the front wheels in when the suspension compresses.

Β 

Adjusted the ESC voltage cutout from factory set 3V to 3.2V and also changed the punch up a Level πŸ˜„Β 

Β 

Didn't get many photos sadly.

Β 

Oh! And this is a weird one. Any ideas on how to fix it? Screw won’t go back in all the way? I’m guessing it’s stripped further back, but not entirely sure. Tried cleaning it out, adding a bit of paper towel to get it in, but nothing. Stuck about there where the drivers pointed.

58F6469A-09DE-416E-BC80-693702EBF955.jpeg

00EBE415-3F17-4621-BB10-DB4B7413B300.jpeg

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I’ve just come back from the shop with a bottle, the sugar free version πŸ‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£
Β 

Xtra is ok, but I never liked Diet.

Β 

Now 1901....

Β 

Ian...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, .AJ. said:

I’ve just come back from the shop with a bottle, but the sugar free version πŸ‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£
Β 

Irn-Bru Xtra is the best. Diet tastes weird. I think the sweeteners they use in Xtra have some viscosity to it which gives it body.Β 

Β 

Irn-Bru FTW. @.AJ. I'm a type 1 diabetic myself.Β 

Β 

To stay on topic...about to take it out for a run 😁

Β 

Screenshot_20210426-120530.thumb.jpg.13662902059bb6f7ef1488edee94117a.jpg

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Guns said:

That ET48 2.0 looks epic, didnt realise they had such a high RRP though !!

Β 

Yeah that's tekno 😞

Β 

You can see why when you're building it, but It's hard to show on photos as there is just so many really small details that you look at and go... "aaaah that's cool".

Β 

Even in comparison to the MT410, this kit is pretty next level stuff. Bearings on the roll bar, adjustable pills on the end of the arm for the hub carrier, flanged bearings in really logical places with mouldings in the plastic for them to sit perfectly into, UJ instead of dog bone for the rear drive shaft.... I'm really looking forward to drivign it!

Edited by Paul Busby