• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fuel Moan....

Nitroholic

It's time to buy some more fuel, as I got less than a litre left and a bash coming up .... so I thought I would check out the prices and get myself some more.

Normally I use Byrons....but they sell it in US Gallons....which is why the bottles don;t seem to last. 1 US Gallon is less than 4 litres... 3.8 litres to be precise. Now Byrons 25% Gen2 seems to go for

Anybody tried making there own?

Years ago my dad used to make his own as there very few brands / shops to get it from. Bear in mind he 65 now so this long time go lol.

Apparently it not hard, just a matt of mixing correct quantities and actually getting hold of the stuff cheap.

5 litres methanol bout 6 quid, postage 8 quid though lol. Trying to find it local first though.

It could / should work out cheaper than buying it ready made.

i was concerned about the price of Byrons recently as well so i tried a few litres of different fuels

Tried Optifuel, too smoky. Didn't like it.

Tried Tornado, was worried i was going to see an overheated engine (and it comes in a can ffs, use bottles and charge less). Didn't like that either.

Then i tried Optifuel Race, couldn't get a tune with it. Yup you guessed it...not a huge fan.

So i closed my eyes, opened my wallet and walked into my lhs to by more awesome but expensive Byrons

I'm using optifuel. Only one I tried, tried some 25% byrons and it was horrible had a quick 5 mins on it and it wouldnt tune so I went back to optifuel seems ok to me but I'm no expert and it's only a slow car any way. Only reason I went with optifuel is coz it's cheaper lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

+1 for optifuel it is smokey but i like the smell it gives off when it burns and its sold in proper gallons so works out a lot cheaper. i tried the byrons and didnt think there was any difference other than a little easier to tune

I've been running 20% Hpi fuel, which was the cheapest I could find at the time- funnily enough I got it from wheelspin. The fuel is fine in my savage, easy to get a good tune. I was using byrons race gen 25 % previous to this and I have found the performance of the Hpi fuel just as good or very little difference anyway to the byrons- although it's a bit smokey as Hpi fuel is re-branded optifuel.

People slate model technics fuel and i did until i tried the model technics zip 20% fuel as my hobby shop said it was designed for cars and has been tried and tested, do not slate this fuel blend with the other model technics blends there are, big bang was not to bad i suppose but this fuel is good it holds a tune gives good power not to oily, 2.25ltrs costs me

25% byrons for the ZR.30 i wouldn't use opti because because its very oily and smokey i like to think of it like this

model tecnics= supermarket unleaded

opti=bp unleaded

byrons=shell V-power

I've never been bothered with the price of nitro fuel, the moment you think of the price I feel you've lost interest in the hobby.

I listen to people day in/ day out and they all say is about the price of fuel, which I answer - Sell your ****ing models. Seems to bring them back to reality.

TBH if your going to race/bash your models all year round then buy in bulk, I normally order 12 US gallons of Orange Juice (Byron's) in January as this will last me till mid March. I also store the fuel in the fridge to chill it down, as it seems to give the engines more grunt.

I feel a lot of engines will run better on different fuels, Byron's has been great for the past year, but I'm starting to lean more towards Werks fuel for some reason

I would have to agree with Nitoholic and say that Byron's is a rip off and I don't believe that this thread is anything to do with losing interest hobby, it's purely about value for money. And in my opinion value for money is something that Byron's cannot offer.

I broke my engine in on Model Technics Big Bang 25% and for the purpose of breaking an engine in it was absolutely fine. Once the engine was broken in I switched to Optifuel and I'm really happy with it, not only because it's cheaper than Byron's but my car runs very well on it.

I've never been bothered with the price of nitro fuel, the moment you think of the price I feel you've lost interest in the hobby.

I listen to people day in/ day out and they all say is about the price of fuel, which I answer - Sell your ****ing models. Seems to bring them back to reality.

TBH if your going to race/bash your models all year round then buy in bulk, I normally order 12 US gallons of Orange Juice (Byron's) in January as this will last me till mid March. I also store the fuel in the fridge to chill it down, as it seems to give the engines more grunt.

I feel a lot of engines will run better on different fuels, Byron's has been great for the past year, but I'm starting to lean more towards Werks fuel for some reason

yes but do remember that nitro attracts water. and rather than just giveing up ive switched to petrol models, at

I have to say in a sort of quote ...read the ****ing original post at this point ;) ..... I didn't moan about the price, and the financial situation the country is in right now means not everyone can afford to splash out close on

I tried the big bang 25% and couldnt get the tune right, kept stalling and spluttering what ever way you turn the needles.

I moved onto optifuel and that runs like a dream! It is very smokey but who cares if the model is running right. Like whats been said above, its also the cheapest fuel my LHS sell and it smells great!

i use optifuel race and my cars run well, bit smoky but least shows its running rich.

Thats the biggest problem with optifuel in that someone with little experience will assume that a good smoke trail means that it is running rich enough whereas in reality you can be running way too lean on optifuel and still have a smoke trail.