• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Savage Project ;-)

Kpowell911

Right here we go, ITs came today, First impression are, Nitro is so dirty and greasy! And it looks like its been put together using a B&Q Screw kit, Other than that, ITs in pretty good condition, nothing missing (apart from screws) So ive stripped it and cleaned it best i could. Its in 2 piles, What I need and what I dont lol.

Additional parts I need are:

A Wheel wrench, £100+ of EDS Tools and I dont have the right tool, What size do I need?

A Slipper Clutch rebuild kit (mad not to put a new one on whilts its out

Roll bar, Its currently got the Savage X rollbar with engine protector, which i dont need

Screws. Lots of Screws. Easiest option? Full Screw kit.

Anyway, Heres what I got for my moneys.

A Savage Roller, Spektrum HTMG Servo, .25 Engine with Rotor Start, 2 Shells, 2 Sets of wheels, Glow Starter.

IMG_0614.jpg

Savage on its own:

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Cleaning Gear

IMG_0618.jpg

Now bear in mind I originally bought a Saavge minus the Centre box? I bought a sparecentre gear box for this, So Have 2. I pulled this one out and its a bit tatty and worn, So im going to use the spare one I bought.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Then I started on the RX Box, Suprisingly its complete and unmodified (Anyone with a Savage will know they are a pain in the arse so people dremel them)

Ive put a nice telemetry Spektrum RX and Spektrum Servo in for now :)

DSCF0307.jpg

I know this seems weird, And ive missed alot of pics, But basically, All this is surplus to requirements:

DSCF0308.jpg

And this is what Im left with :)

DSCF0309.jpg

Roll on new parts :D

Edited by 19 Inch Guns

Seeing as you're going brushless,i'd strongly consider upgrading the diff gears,crown and bevel to the bulletproof ones that HPI do,if it isnt a Savage X which be the TVPs it looks as though it isn't,it'll also have the plastic diff cases,i'd upgrade those too with the Savage X alloy cases,apart from those i'd say its a great basis for a top BL truck and should weigh in a lot less than getting a Flux.

I'd stick with the red fibre brakes unless you plan on getting Craddocks and the SS outdrives and axle cups are a good upgrade too,after the drivetrain upgrades its all personal add ons from there,get a nice shell to top it off....wink.gif

Heres What I've got coming from Vortex :)

http://www.shrani.si/?23/A4/2Ai6FJCJ/dscn1497.jpg

Just PMed a guy about a roll bar, And ordered a screw kit, servo horn and slipper clutch, Oh and a box wrench to get the wheels off.

Just need some brushings/Bearings for the steering posts, The plasic ones come as part of a parts tree for

Seeing as you're going brushless,i'd strongly consider upgrading the diff gears,crown and bevel to the bulletproof ones that HPI do,if it isnt a Savage X which be the TVPs it looks as though it isn't,it'll also have the plastic diff cases,i'd upgrade those too with the Savage X alloy cases,apart from those i'd say its a great basis for a top BL truck and should weigh in a lot less than getting a Flux.

I'd stick with the red fibre brakes unless you plan on getting Craddocks and the SS outdrives and axle cups are a good upgrade too,after the drivetrain upgrades its all personal add ons from there,get a nice shell to top it off....wink.gif

See post above :) Its started life as a Savage .25, So i've got most of the diff bits coming from Vortex on this forum :) Im only going to run 4S too, Which should be less stress on this diffs. Im going to stick all those upgrades in, Then see what breaks, If anything does, Ill upgrade it there and then.

Reagrding brakes, I considered having manual brakes, But ive decided to get rid of all the linkage etc And run the Electronic brakes included on whatever ESC im going to buy, Stopping doesnt seem to be an issue on any of the trucks im running right now, So binning the servo, linkage and brakes will save some weight.

Fantastic project i love **** like this :good:

Quick question though please.

Will a mildly hopped up converted Nitro Savage turn out better than a out the box E-savage?

Also is there a certain Nitro savage that makes a better platform than another?

Cheers

Mark

Fantastic project i love **** like this :good:

Quick question though please.

Will a mildly hopped up converted Nitro Savage turn out better than a out the box E-savage?

Also is there a certain Nitro savage that makes a better platform than another?

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, I must admit its really excited turning a nitro in to an electric. But seriously, IT costs FAR more than you think.

Regarding the E-Savage Vs Savage, Its a completely different platform. The E-Savage is alot smaller and runs twin Brushed motors. this is larger and will run a single but more pwoerful 8th scale BL system, So it should be better, But also more money! There are cheaper ways of doing it, And I've been very lucky to get parts cheap, But im basically going to end up with something very close to a Savage Flux, Which is a

Ok thanks.

Been eyeing up a few projects for this winter.

I really fancy doing a 1/5th Baja brushless conversion, one of my tenants has one that's been sitting in the store room for a couple of years, he owes me some rent so a deal might well be done on that.

If that falls through i kinda like the idea of a BL Savage conversion.

Cheers

Mark

I've got to ask, why , if going leccy, would people still use a braking system? The motor does this for you.

Ok thanks.

Been eyeing up a few projects for this winter.

I really fancy doing a 1/5th Baja brushless conversion, one of my tenants has one that's been sitting in the store room for a couple of years, he owes me some rent so a deal might well be done on that.

If that falls through i kinda like the idea of a BL Savage conversion.

Cheers

Mark

I'm thinking a buggy next, Not sure the technology is affordable (for me) to do a Baja.

IF it was I'd do a 5th Scale FG Monster truck.

Update now.

I've ordered:

Screw Kit

Wheel Wrench

Servo Horn

4x Steering post bearings (Plastic Bushing = FAIL)

I'm waiting on:

Steel Spur

2 sets of HD Drive Cups

Flux Idler Gear

Flux TCS TVP's

Flux Shocks

Flux Battery Trays

Flux Battery Tray Mounts

Flux Diffs Gears

Flux Crown Gears

I still need:

Roll Bar, Sent PM

Flux Motor Mount (One on watch list for

Just need some brushings/Bearings for the steering posts

I know bearings don't cost much, And I don't know if there all the same size, But I had a couple of broken Towerpro 995 servo's(If that's the right number), Well the bearings in them(2 in each) were the same size as the plastic bushes on my Savage 25 steering posts, apart from being a wee fraction slimmer, So just took up a bit of the play by rolling a o'ring from a shock seal onto the post first.

Just worth a try if you've got a couple of old ball-raced servos knocking around, Which most of us have, Or in my case, Had.

I will add one thing thou, Doing a brushless conversion will entail some standard costs, I.E, The Brushless combo and Batterys, After that the cost comes down to how much "You" want to spend, And how much you want to try and knock stuff up yourself.

I've seen it so many times here when people have asked about converting, And the first thing that is nearly always said is that you got to get a MMM at £280, Well that sort of thing puts people right off straight away.

I can see that Gun's is getting a lot of the upgrade stuff straight away, Cos that's how he wants to do it, But he would have to agree that probably over half of that stuff would not be needed straight off, If ever. So far, Not including the combo or batterys, I have converted a CRT Truggy,Kyosho Inferno and a savage and only bought the Idler gear for the Savage.

I've just got in after a couple of hours out with the Savage, And still not broke anything, My crown and bevel gears are still going strong, My plastic diff cases are still there, Yes it likes to have a little roll over sometimes but the shocks are still working, There not great, But there working pretty well.

What I'm saying is don't be put off by all the "you've got to get such and such, And change this and change that, Upgrade that, Upgrade this" Do the conversion , And if it aint broke, Don't fix it until it is broke, And save yourself a couple of quid.

Edited by babylon

:yes::good:

Lookin good Guns, I'd strongly recommend the BP diffs and alum diff cases/4 bevel spiders too, as Mr T suggests. TCS Crawlers does them for $25 :ohttp://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Racing-MACHINED-BULLETPROOF-DIFF-BEVEL-GEAR-29T-9T-SET-102692-p-17874.html Before I got them I was killing diffs all the time on my nitro Sav, even on 4s the standard diffs aren't up to the job.

I see your re-building your slipper, if you need a new slipper pad I got a couple spare lying around, shoot me your addy and I'll send ya one ;)

Oh and steering post bearings are 6x10x3mm if you ain't found out already. :)

Edited by londoner

First of all guys, Never go by what I'm doing on a build. I always go over budget and pay a little extra for stuff. This is my hobby, I HONESTLY prefer all the forum stuff, sourcing parts, taking pictures and building the trucks up more than I enjoy using them. Seriously, I have more fun searching for parts online and posting pics on forums than I do using them. Builds can always be done cheaper, more efficently and faster than the way I do them, But hey.

Im not 100% on what Im going to do with the Diffs, I dont know enough about the Savage to make a decision. Theres that many varieties of the damn thing I dont know what ive got and what I havent. Im going to build it all up with what ive got and see from there. Its very hard for me to see whats what when all I have is a pile of parts. I appreciate im going to need to address the diff issue, But I really need to stop spending money until I've got everything in front of me and built up. I can then visualise what I need next and where I need to upgrade. Let me get it rolling as a 100% Electric powered model. Then I can decide on how im going to power it, And what I need to make it handle the power

I have some diff parts coming from Vortex? Arent they the same as the one in your TCCS link?

Ordered the bearings, A quick google found them for me for £4 :)

I just need to play the waiting game, Get it all built up, see whats missing and go from there. I hate waiting lol!

Edited by 19 Inch Guns

Don't know anything about the Savage but have enjoyed reading this build tbh! Hope you get your money back regarding the car which didn't turn up.

After reading this and a few other threads on builds and progress I may do my own progress thread in the next few days biggrin.gif

More orf an update or "written" note for me ratehrthan you guys, IF this is going to annoy the mods, Please delete.

I managed to find a Motor mount, Motor plate and the shafts that hold it to the TVPs off a Brand Spanking Flux ( I guess there is big business Stripping these?) for

Sorted that now for pics :)

The parts:

DSCF0310.jpg

Can finally screw the skid plates down

DSCF0311.jpg

2 of the 4 Plastic Steering bushings were missing, So swapped to bearings

DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

Added a Servo Horn

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

Then fitted the idler gear after alot of head scratching :)

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

those gears look good, what sort of build cost are you expecting?

Erm, Probably more than a stock Flux by the end of it lol!

ID like to get the Roller sorted for £250, That includes the original purchase price. IF it needs somethign though, Im going to buy it, Im not going to bodge it, Even if it takes longer. I've done really well with buying parts from ebay us off stripped Flux's and Vortex has sorted me a load of parts cheap

So Far:

Savage .21 £100

Screw Kit £25

Roll Bar & Bearings £10

Flux Idler £7

Flux Spur £25

2x HD Drive Cups £12

Flux Motor Mount £40

Flux Radio Tray £8

Then the Bargains off Vortex

Flux TVPs

Flux Battery Trays and Mounts

Flux Shocks

Misc Flux Gears for £35, That would retail at close to a tonne!

Theres prob stuff ive missed out, And i still need stuff, So ill add it up properly when its rolling. Wont be cheap, but it will be worth it im sure

Edited by 19 Inch Guns