• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How do you wind shock ends on?

TommyC

As per title really. How does everyone else do it. On my maverick I just wrap some electrical tape around the shaft to get a grip on it. But building some yeah racing shocks for my tamiya and I can’t wind them all the way onto the shafts. Is there a knack?

2 hours ago, markymarky said:

I found the easiest thing to do is to pre-tap the shock ends using a bolt of the right diameter. 

I have never understood how they expect you to tap the plastic end while trying to get it on a round shaft. 

That's what I do with rod ends that are tight. 

Get some shock shaft grips. I used to use pliers with insulation tape on for years. The right tool for the job is way better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steephill said:

That's what I do with rod ends that are tight. 

Get some shock shaft grips. I used to use pliers with insulation tape on for years. The right tool for the job is way better. 

+1  for proper shock pliers, makes the job a lot easier. Get some with a pin attachment and you can wind rod ends on easily

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TommyC said:

More money then!

Mine cost £4.50 from aliexpress

• Like 1

I got the job done by tapping the threads first using the ball joints supplied, then using some taped up pliers. Would rather spend money elsewhere for now. For instance today I’ve bought some servo connectors so I can tidy up the wiring on all my models. 

49 minutes ago, TommyC said:

I got the job done by tapping the threads first using the ball joints supplied, then using some taped up pliers. Would rather spend money elsewhere for now. For instance today I’ve bought some servo connectors so I can tidy up the wiring on all my models. 

Depends, if you build a lot of kits, I think it pays to sacrifice buying another RC and investing in some proper tools. I dread to think whatmy RC tool kit cost, probably the same as a Tamiya Avante, but I wouldnt be without it!

• Like 1

I get Amazon vouchers every time I fit a boiler so I’ll pick some up next time I do one. Spent the last lot on some injora shocks for my trx4m. Cost a few quid more but feels like it’s free!