• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cross RC NT4 Unimog

Lone-wolf

sets it off well. Still think an interior/ driver figure would look excellent in it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

These are not budget models, kinda middle of road price wise but when you see little bits of overspray on body i find myself thinking i could and have done better on a clear shell, also the factory put all Hex bolts in with some kind of power tool, very tight, you try to undo them at your own risk of chewing heads even when using top quality tools, on that note i cant get shocks of to check oil. My previous Cross the motor/transmission plate was broken at 2 out of 3 mounting holes by factory, this is just my findings with the brand but TBH i have had better QC with FTX and the like so will be last cross i buy...........on the positive side i really do like the Unimog version i now have its a beast huge for 1/10th, despite my reputation for not keeping some models too long i will keep this one and put up with some minor niggles  

If you look at the cost difference between kit and RTR, it doesn't allow many hours for a skilled person to assemble it.  Unlike companies like Traxxas, Arrma, Losi, etc most of the Cross-RC products are sold in kit format.  I have found that the quality of the parts is generally pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Cross-RC product to join my AT4V and PG4A.  I would always select the kit version though so I can build it carefully and if I mess it up it is just me to blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSeaRC said:

If you look at the cost difference between kit and RTR, it doesn't allow many hours for a skilled person to assemble it.  Unlike companies like Traxxas, Arrma, Losi, etc most of the Cross-RC products are sold in kit format.  I have found that the quality of the parts is generally pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Cross-RC product to join my AT4V and PG4A.  I would always select the kit version though so I can build it carefully and if I mess it up it is just me to blame.

Not seen the NT4 as a kit yet

Ooo i like the sound of a kit version to build, its been a while since i put a kit together, think it was my Kyosho Blizzard, but i just HATE cutting out bodies with a passion.

Are spares readily available?

Edited by wolfie1

I haven't seen the NT4 available as a kit yet but virtually every other product is available as a kit so I expect it will be available in the future.  I have seen the NT6 offered as a kit but it is so new, buying options are very limited at present.  As for spare parts and upgrade parts, there are some suppliers in UK (such as Greens Models) but you will probably be relying mainly on AliExpress.  The range of parts depends upon the model.   The EMO range has quite a few parts but less popular models have limited choice.  I would say that, in general, parts are not especially readily available.

• Like 1

Yes the spares are going to be a bit of a problem, so i will only be using the Unimog as a trail truck and somewhat gentle use i have other trucks that i thoroughly enjoy like the Element Texan even the FTX Fury 2.0 has proved to be a sound rig....All this negative talk but i will say the cross seems a solid truck so providing i dont abuse it, it should last a good while

• Like 3

On 20/01/2024 at 13:13, Lone-wolf said:

So this turned up good and fast from Aliexpress but with post came in at £5.60, very pricey for a 1/12th Mercedes 3 point star but only place i could get something like this, but i feel its worth it as the cross Unimog looked odd wit out it, yes the badge is centred its the fake winch that i had to fit to one side

badge.JPG

front grille.JPG

Looks great!

Have you got a link for this?

I have tried searching Ali over and over again with no luck

• Like 1

Cheers dude, located and ordered👍

Going back to spare availability... Not that I need any yet.

I was surprised that mine came with no manual or exploded diagram showing part numbers in the box?

Only the manual for the transmitter - which is already playing up🙄

Doesn't bode well😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, racing shed said:

I was surprised that mine came with no manual or exploded diagram showing part numbers in the box?

Doesn't bode well😂

Now you mention it same here, did not get a manual with it, if you get stuck with faulty radio let me know as I have upgraded my TX

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2023 at 18:53, Lone-wolf said:

Right one little niggle with this cross Unimog is the way the shell is held, we have 2 post and pins in the rear bed, then 2 small posts the back of the cab slides onto one in each lower corner of back of cab then 2 hidden posts in front under the grille, its a bit tricky getting body back on but with a 5200-6200mah not like you have to keep taking body of to change lipo`s.....however there is this hard body bed that stays fitted and just the cab then comes of but at the moment another £60 is a hard ask, but i am thinking i may get it in the near future, it has a lift up hatch to get to battery, next time i have the truck out i will try and show the mounts, the stock rear bed is held to cab with a good amount of screws

Capture.JPG

Still wondering about this hard rear bed, it would make battery plug in and swaps a doddle but i think i would have to use smaller lipo`s and Aliexpress are selling out

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

I think Hobby King are doing a 3 for 2 on lipos just now :good:

I have plenty of lipo`s just not 100% sure about spending another £80 on a part for it, sure it would make battery swap a doddle, greens models has it in stock for £80 and thats not a lot more than aliexpress

• Like 2

On 25/01/2024 at 11:01, racing shed said:

Doesn't bode well😂

Turns out there is a manual its on a little flash/stick drive in the box with tools ....

I have removed the amber roof light, and made repairs to the mounting holes, ordered a 5 lamp spot light bar to fit instead, this is not the LED strip light but 5 spots on a steel tube 125mm long, this will be on a switch on the radio  and the hard bed conversion looks to be on slow delivery, seller has got payment but not processed order, though Chinese new year will factor in  this

• Like 1

So I have thrown about £60 at mine,..on

Wheels

Lights

Paint - tamiya mustard yellow and racing green

Shackles and 'scale' rope

Paint stripper

Some decals

Quite a lot of time mind😂

Done about 6hrs of motoring, both trail and rocks.... It is surprisingly good at both despite the tall body.

20240208_130949.jpg

Edited by racing shed
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, racing shed said:

So I have thrown about £60 at mine,..on

Wheels

Lights

Paint - tamiya mustard yellow and racing green

Shackles and 'scale' rope

Paint stripper

Some decals

Quite a lot of time mind😂

Done about 6hrs of motoring, both trail and rocks.... It is surprisingly good at both despite the tall body.

20240208_130949.jpg

Looking good, the wheels look very "Unimog" scale and the colour works well, are the lights on bumper wired up and working

Sorry, clearly having issues with the pics,

The yellow are wired and working but even behind the tinted lenses they are too cool and bright

So I'm swapping them out for 3mm warm white LEDs, the bigger spots are not wired yet, they are mounted so far back to try and protect them,  the LEDs will have to come through the bottom now as they are closed to the front grille

• Like 2