• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Blackout

wolfie1

So after 13-14 years this car had was now refusing to start, even put a battery drill on the crankshaft to spin it over faster, was getting fuel and spark and nothing so decided with the cost of a replacement engine v the cost pf a new piston, ring and head there wasnt much in it as wheelspin had a clearance deal on an engine, so that's it in and had it idling for 20 minutes, will do more break in tomorrow but over all happy with the result. Did find some very perished fuel hose so replaced that too as well, as swapping over the standard air filter to the baja 1 that i run, 7000 rpm clutch spring and tuned pipe, i kinda forgot to take pics but here are some. An upgrade all in as originally was a 30cc and this 1 is a 32cc

IMG_1957.jpeg

IMG_1956.jpeg

IMG_1954.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg

IMG_1959.jpeg

IMG_1960.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes hopefully, have it sitting idiling outside just now as the instruction booklet says not to take it above 5000rpm for the first 4 hours, and i have a 7000rpm clutch spring, its had 2 hours now, 1 yesterday and 1 today. I need to take 1 of my cats to the vet soon so will get more time later today hopefully

• 2 months later...

So the new engine failed 😞 sent it back to wheelspin who in turn returned it to hpi and the answer i got back was a manufacturing defect, so since hpi have discontinued the blackout they no longer sell an engine for it, so i got my money back. So my question is what engine does anyone recommend? I have gotten a refund of £229 so thats the ball park figure im looking at, i am after a straight drop in engine as i have a tuned pipe and dont want to be cutting the chassis to make it fit. Was looking at something like these  https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/engines/complete-engines/zenoah-g320rc-31-8cc-engine-stock-clutch-housing.html  or preferably this https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/engines/complete-engines/rovan-36cc-4-bolt-engine.html or is there something better in the same price range?

Edited by wolfie1

44 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

Zenoah motor...decent.

Rovan engine a cheaper knock off copy.

Yes thats what i was thinking thanks, but doing my research i dont think that particular zenoah engine fits the blackout, apparently a “shorty clutch housing” is required as since the g320 has bigger bearings the oe clutch housing doesnt fit, so i reckons the 29cc will be the 1 i will get and swap over the fan shroud and clutch housings from my original engine, its taken me since before i posted that above today to come to this conclusion, unless you have a better option? 🙂

2 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Nope ...the 4 bolt Zenoah 29cc motor is a very good motor. 

It's what I would go for in your situation. A good quality engine is worth the money.

Thank you for the advice 🙂

• 1 month later...

Well i bought a replacement 29cc zenoah engine with the refund i got from the 32cc engine as it was still under warranty, when hpi got it back they said there was a manufacturing defect and it had destroyed itself, the carb that came on the zenoah engine the choke was part of the air box but i wanted to run by baja filter, so i swapped the carb off my original engine and its running great now, so yea i got it sorted great