• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Metal vs plastic spur gears

RC4WD fan

So I stripped the plastic spur gear on my stampede 4x4 vxl today and was wondering whether to get a steel spur or a couple of plastic ones? my thought is the plastic ones will strip instead of causing more damage somewhere else in the driveline anyone have metal spurs on there basher 

when i stripped my plastic one, i changed it to steel straight away and not had any problems since. but then again, people have been saying that once you mesh it right then you shouldnt have any problems but sometimes imo steel is a better choice.

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

when i stripped my plastic one, i changed it to steel straight away and not had any problems since. but then again, people have been saying that once you mesh it right then you shouldnt have any problems but sometimes imo steel is a better choice.

To be honest I should have checked it all before sticking a 3s in and letting rip 🤣 but might get a couple of plastic ones and a still one and make sure to mesh it properly but my idea was metal would be better but could also be more expensive to fix 

2 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

To be honest I should have checked it all before sticking a 3s in and letting rip 🤣 but might get a couple of plastic ones and a still one and make sure to mesh it properly but my idea was metal would be better but could also be more expensive to fix 

ive never had any other problems at all, if i am being honest i do prefer steel vs plastic, that way you know it wont strip, well that is how i am thinking.

5 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

ive never had any other problems at all, if i am being honest i do prefer steel vs plastic, that way you know it wont strip, well that is how i am thinking.

Indeed that’s why I want a steel one but have a slight concern that it might cause a lot more expensive problems now the line like damaging the motor as there not cheap 

You can get custom spur gears made to any pitch and tooth count you want out of various metals and quality of metals, and it is nowhere near as expensive as it sounds.  Plus you can always convert to metal gears, you just need to make sure that:

1, the pinion and spur pitch match

2, that you can fit them in your gear box, or modify your gear box to fit them - like the mod everybody who speed runs TT-02s do to the pinion and spur cover

This is probably the cheapest option. 

Or you can replace the gearbox/transmission with a different one, not so easy to do and requires tools - I had to drill 3 holes to fit an Elements transmission into my Tamiya's Rock Socker, as I didn't want to use the stock supplied one.

Edited by Grogg

1 minute ago, RC4WD fan said:

Indeed that’s why I want a steel one but have a slight concern that it might cause a lot more expensive problems now the line like damaging the motor as there not cheap 

like i said mate, i have never had any problems, i bought a steel one for the vorza and you know how expensive them motors were dont you? 

the only think i didnt like about steel spurs is the price, they are nearly 30 pound!!

• Like 1

Just now, froggy8 said:

like i said mate, i have never had any problems, i bought a steel one for the vorza and you know how expensive them motors were dont you? 

the only think i didnt like about steel spurs is the price, they are nearly 30 pound!!

There like £7/15 on eBay for a steel one for a stampede 

Hi, first of all sorry to hear you stripped it straight away =/

I may have the ebay steel one youre talking about, I can post it you if you like? It doesnt look like its made by an RC firm, more a machinist if that makes sense. I bought it for a Slash 4x4 years ago and never installed it. Free of charge of course? Let me know. 

My only issue with steel spurs especially on smaller scales, is you need to find a pinion that will not wear because of the spur. Id advise staying plastic for that reason, but in theory, going with metal should be fine if your mesh is perfect.

• Like 1

If you are swapping to a steel spur gear.... check what pinion you have.

Brass ones are fine on plastic, but won;t last long on a steel spur.

Shouldn't damage the motor, not if you are keeping hte same gearing anyway. Plastic spur gears are less tolerant of poor mesh...but can also die due to grit and dirt ingress. I had a Losi Mini 8ight that routinely killed spurs. The chassis did not fo a good job of keepng small stones and grit out, and the partial cover was very good at keeping them IN! Mesh it carefully and it should be fine.

Mesh too tight, and a plastic one will strip, but a steel one wont...thats where the trouble happens. Usually in the form of failed motor or gearbox bearings.

• Like 2

@Kpowell911 it’s just one of them things I’ve already ordered a steel spur so no need to send anything I appreciate the offer though 👍

@Nitroholic the pinion is steel defiantly not brass I’m going to strip it all down and inspect all parts when I put the new spur in and buy anything I need before I run it again 

@Bajadre I’m still going to get a couple of plastic ones as the cheap and good to have in the bit box but I’ll make sure to set the mesh properly 👍

• Like 1

If you go steel, listen for noise. If it's silent, as it would've been with the plastic spur, then your mesh is too loose! It must make noise, at least in my experience. 

Too tight and it'll make a hideous racket. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2023 at 14:31, Tug said:

If you go steel, listen for noise. If it's silent, as it would've been with the plastic spur, then your mesh is too loose! It must make noise, at least in my experience. 

Too tight and it'll make a hideous racket. 

Thanks for the tip 👍 still waiting for it 🙄I’m hoping that it arrives for the weekend 

4 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Let me know if youre stuck, happy to send the one from my Slash 🙂

Will do mate thank you won’t help this weekend though 🤣 really hope it arrives tomorrow 🤞