• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lifes a Beech

Mr Johnty

Hi All.

just want ta ask a question regarding taking cars on to the beech is it a big 👍 or a bigger 👎??

Seen lots of vids on youtube of people with cars on the sand .

I know my cars are small fry in cost to some but my  FTX Vantage 2.0 and FTX Carnage 2.0  are my pride and joy and a dont want to wreck them with sand in ther bits😬.

Any words of wisdom please.

John

• Like 1

Hi Bajadre.

No keep away from the dunes dont want fine sand getting in the motor or berings.

If you use a spray after clean down  Like gt85 or wd/40 dosent that encurage dust and muck to stick the moving parts or im i wrong ?

I have brushed motors so just a  bit worried about getting sand in the motors or does that not  realy happen?

john

• Like 1

the sand will get everywhere mr jonty tbh i spray after (drench the bearings and diffs etc ) either a strip down or going over with a airline blower best way to remove sand ive found yes dont use it before you bash on the beach will clog the sand up on the rc.

i run brushless so doesnt really get inside the can so you need to cover the motor a friend bought a pack of cheap hair nets things on amazon he puts over the chassis then bins it after etc i use one of those dusty motors covers i bought a while ago 

https://www.dustymotors.com/

• Like 1

Don't use WD40 before or after running in sand. Some of the ingredients are linseed oil and light mineral oil, which will let the sand stick like mad. GT85 is the way to go if you want to run sand (or near salt). 

I've run my X-Maxx on the beach a few times, don't even have a rusty bolt. I do agree though, it's a faff to clean afterwards, and you can't skip the clean up since it WILL rust. Brushless motors are fine to run in sand or dust (just watch promotional videos of Traxxas etc, they all are in dustbowls), but you do have to do your due diligence to keep the RC clean. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Don't use WD40 before or after running in sand. Some of the ingredients are linseed oil and light mineral oil, which will let the sand stick like mad. GT85 is the way to go if you want to run sand (or near salt). 

I've run my X-Maxx on the beach a few times, don't even have a rusty bolt. I do agree though, it's a faff to clean afterwards, and you can't skip the clean up since it WILL rust. Brushless motors are fine to run in sand or dust (just watch promotional videos of Traxxas etc, they all are in dustbowls), but you do have to do your due diligence to keep the RC clean. 

MO94 be ok? Just a thought

1 minute ago, totlxtc said:

MO94 be ok? Just a thought

I wouldn't know, the only Muc-off stuff i have is an all purpose bike cleaner (for my ultrasonic cleaner). It does say in the blurb that it prevents dirt adhesion, so potentially it will work - i just never used it, went to GT85 after making a mistake with WD40 (that's how i know not to use it lol) and it does everything i want from it. 

Thanks for the advice guys a tin of GT85 it is then and a real good clean down after each run .

Is there any way of keeping the sand and dirt out of my Brushed motor without covering the cooling vents?

John

Not really. Some RCs offer dust covers, like this one:

61+SQ0+TozL._SL1000_.jpg

But they lead to overheating as well, anything that impedes air flow does. Otherwise you could just use some pantyhose and pull it over the motor, if you want to go that route. But, as said, anything that prevents sand and dust from moving, will also have an impact on air moving, so there's no way to protect especially against dust without impeding cooling. 

I guess thats one good thing about a brushed system it doesnt seem to get that hot at all.

so i might go down the rout of some old tights covering the motor and see how the temps are after a run.

if it starts to get hoter than normal well it will be back to the drawing board. and poss buy one of the dust protectors from ebay.

thanks again guys top advice 👍👍

If you love em dont take em. Salt eats away slowly.
If you dont mind that as they are only toys, its a blast. 

On 15/03/2023 at 16:44, Mr Johnty said:

Hi All.

just want ta ask a question regarding taking cars on to the beech is it a big 👍 or a bigger 👎??

Seen lots of vids on youtube of people with cars on the sand .

I know my cars are small fry in cost to some but my  FTX Vantage 2.0 and FTX Carnage 2.0  are my pride and joy and a dont want to wreck them with sand in ther bits😬.

Any words of wisdom please.

John