• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya to Deans Adapters

bigbadbond

Hey all,

Does anyone know if these adapters are ok to use? (Etronix Tamiya to Deans adapter) https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/39232?gclid=CjwKCAiAjPyfBhBMEiwAB2CCItVPTsG8GopR9bdfRjCFQ1027QAdzocz7xR1K67Cu9-OXmGieaLjgRoC5DUQAvD_BwE

I don't really fancy the idea of cutting off the Tamiya adapter on my ESC and soldering on a Deans plug. This seems like a simple alternative. I just wanted to check if anyone has run into any problems with using these?

Thanks

Yeah it’ll work but I would definitely consider the ol’ chop and solder. 

Deans are probably the easiest of all connectors to solder and are way more efficient than crappy tamiya connectors 👍🏻

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbadbond said:

ah ok, I thought that might be the problem. I'm assuming  the Tamiya plugs could handle 2S ok though? 

I personally wouldn’t run a Tamiya connector for anything RC in 2023, but thats just me

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 16:12, bigbadbond said:

ah ok, I thought that might be the problem. I'm assuming  the Tamiya plugs could handle 2S ok though? 

For what it's worth, all the way back in 2003, I was racing touring cars in the 27t stock motor class. On a 7.2v ni-mh battery, during a 5-minute race, the tamiya plug melted and fused into a molten lump.

As the others have said, I wouldn't use a Tamiya plug for anything.

i grew up with tamiya connectors and i had loads melt on me and fuse battery connectors together, they are highly inneficient..... on nimh or nicad

deans for 10 scales  and xt90 for 8 scales at a minimum is what i use  now 🙂

i tried using a deans adapter on my kronos to 8 scale xt90 with a adpater  and melted the deans and xt90 together.

straight out xt90 now on it now all all my 8 scales and deans are super superior to tamiya connectors 🙂

i use deans on all my 10 scales appart from my 2 grass  hoppers 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1