• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC with Drag Brake??

ZaphodB

Hi,

Trying to determine if the (cheap) ESC supplied with my TT-02 has a drag brake or not.

ESC is a Carson Dragster Brushed 70A Brushed 500906264 from Modelsport

Instruction sheet is minimal but from online research it appears not to offer this.

So, as everyone seems to rate them (as a cheap ESC) does a Hobbywing 1060 (or 1080) have a drag brake setting?

My son's TT-02 came with a  Tamiya TBLE-04S ESC which does seem to have a drag brake setting , so that may be a possibility.

Zaph

18 hours ago, Alex97 said:

I believe if you remove the jump plug for the movement selection by default you'll get forward/ reverse and drag break is set to 100%. 

So, remove the upper plug completely (i.e. set the ESC to 'Crawler')?

1802145897_CarsonESC.thumb.JPG.1485ae69f9b76f09c965cb0e9d7b74ae.JPG

18 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Why do you want a drag brake in a TT02? Or is for use in something else?

With respect, why does it matter?

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that a drag brake is an 'off throttle' brake (i.e. when the throttle is in neutral) and can typically be set from values between 0 and 45%.

If this is incorrect, please clarify what the drag brake is.

Regarding the Hobbywing 1060 (or 1080), can anyone confirm whether this has a drag brake or not?

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB

5 hours ago, ZaphodB said:

With respect, why does it matter?

Sorry, wasn’t trying to be confrontational, just curious about what you were trying to achieve. 

I’m not familiar with the drag brake on the 1060, or most of the other ESCs discussed above. However I do have a 1080 in my trail truck which has the drag brake turned up all the way for crawling. When I forget about this and take my finger off the trigger at trail speeds my TRX4 will quite happily flip its self over with the deceleration from the drag brake.

If the drag brake setting in the 1060 is on at the equivalent of 100% in the 1080 then I’d expect it to have a similarly dramatic effect. Though I guess that would be very unlikely to flip a TT02 like it does with the TRX4. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2023 at 18:10, Shergar said:

Find the settings out yourself! Being curt to anyone who offered advice here isn’t exactly in the spirit of things!

Thanks!

I did say that "With respect, why does it matter?"  then outlined my reason for the question.

I like to think that I am respectful on the forum as usually I am asking for help and unlike the majority of folks, remember to thank folks that have helped with the solution to my problem.

Currently, I am trying to corner by lifting off the throttle whilst steering and forgetting to apply any brake.  If my understanding of the drag brake is correct, then I will apply the brakes simply by lifting off.  Whether I can live with 100% brake or not I'll have to see.  Further research indicates that the 1060 has an 'all or nothing' drag brake but the 1080's is adjustable.

Thanks to those that have offered help or answered queries.  It is much appreciated.

Zaph

• Like 1

I tend not to use the crawling setting on the esc on our trx4's, because if you forget and drive at speed when trailing. Letting go of the accelerator would apply full braking effect and if the terrain is grippy, there's a high chance of stripping a gear, twisting a driveshaft, etc as the truck comes to an aggressive stop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I removed the plug/jumper as suggested by Alex and Monkeyboy and yes, this activated a drag brake.  Thank you.

I think this will suit me - however in this particuar ESC it is an ON/OFF option and the car was rather stop/starty

Possibly an ESC with a selectable drag brake - usually between 0 and 40/45% - would be better.

An 'all or nothing' drag brake might suit a crawler but it doesn't really work for 1/10 indoor TC racing.

So, looking to get a Hobbywing 1060 or 1080.

So this leads to the question of whether the 1060 has a selectable drag brake setting or is it the ON/OFF option I already have with the Carson?

I believe that the 1080 has a range of drag brake settings but would welcome confirmation on this (and the range/steps available if possible).

Thanks in advance,

Zaph

I'm pretty sure that teh 1060 is just a simple on/off setting as it just has the jumpers to configure it like your current carson. The 1080 comes with a little LED programming box that lets you configure a few parameters for the drag brake one of which is the drag brake force which can be set between 0% and 100% in 9 steps.

You should be able to get an idea of the different configuration setting from the manual here (the older, non-G2 version looks to have the same drag brake setting as the new version linked below):

https://www.hobbywing.com/en/uploads/file/20221206/8b87f6b7ce53b31e7b5fbd3a4c6c149c.pdf

Really, if you are going to use a drag brake for an onroad car, where the surfaces are pretty grippy... then it would be well worth getting a slightly better ESC that lets you control the level of braking you get.

Having the brakes apply full on when you throttle off is going to make things a little jittery.

I understand what you are trying to achieve, and thats basically just slowing the car into corners when you let off the gas. If you don't 'coast' but rather drive to the point you want to brake, brake....turn and get on the gas again.... being able to tune that braking is going to be something that will improve the experience.

Thanks Nitro.

Can you recommend a sutable ESC?

Thanks also to Alex and Big Ginge for their input - much appreciated.  I rather suspected (being £20-odd cheaper) that the 1060 was simply ON/OFF for the drag brake.  Thanks also for the link which I'll check out.

UPDATE:  That was a useful document - seems that the 1080 is tunable to a reasonable degree - e.g. can set the drag brake to 0 / 5 / 10 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 and 100%.  Also the rate at which the drag brake is applied which affects how aggressively the brake is applied when triggered.  Can also set the maximum throttle in 4 steps - 25 / 50 / 75 and 100% which would be useful I suspect for "training" purposes - in other words, don't go full chat into a corner until you know you can brake/steer approprately to negotiate it).

Looks like the 1080 might be the way to go - until I go brushless that is!

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB
Additional info

The 1080 seems to be one of the better brushed ESCs out there. Can’t think of anything I’d rather run in its place off the top of my head. 

If you have a spare channel on your transmitter and receiver you can even set the G2 version up so you can control the drag brake force remotely. Wish this was about when I put one in my TRX4. 

16 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

The 1080 seems to be one of the better brushed ESCs out there. Can’t think of anything I’d rather run in its place off the top of my head. 

If you have a spare channel on your transmitter and receiver you can even set the G2 version up so you can control the drag brake force remotely. Wish this was about when I put one in my TRX4. 

Thanks.  1080 is now on the shopping list 🙂

Sadly my "cheapo" RC transmitter is only 2-channel.  Looking at possibly getting a Planet Proteus 6Ch (if they are any good)  -  subject of a question in a different thread.

Current receiver is 3-channel + BEC (which gives throttle, steering, fan power and MRT transponder power.

Zaph