• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Transmitters & receivers

Mr Fro

I'm in a bit of a pickle with transmitters & receivers.

I've got a bunch of 27 & 40 MHz on AM and FM with a load of crystals and I've spent HOURS trying to match them up.

For reasons I don't understand, I've only had partial success which is an annoyance because when it comes to selling these models, my presumption is that they will be more salable if they come ready to run and I don't want to shell out more cash just to be able to do this.

Having said that, there are a number of models that are keepers (see, what you lot said earlier about addiction was right!). I've got loads of 2.4 GHz Planet r6m receivers and 3 matching controllers but they're the wiggly stick type, presumably for the aeroplanes and it doesn't feel right to me using them on cars.

My idea is to put the same receiver type in all the keepers and have only 1 or 2 controllers for them all. Is it the case that 2.4 GHz stuff is interchangeable or are they brand specific?

I'd also really appreciate any pointers on how to match old MHz gear before I toss them all in a heap and set fire to them out of frustration!

Cheers,

Fro

From what I remember, a lot of 27/40mhz radios were very brand/model specific. PERSONALLY in 2022, I dont think the addition of an old 27/40mhz radio makes one bit of difference in terms of desirability. Ive just bought 3x old models that came with 27mhz radio and I told the sellers to keep them to save on postage and Id only binned them anyway. Unless its a rare periodic shelfer, I wouldnt worryabout it too much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the AM/FM tamiya retro gear can be valuable Fro to the collectors apart from that most arent worth much and usually end up in joblots etc  like K said most of the retro stuff ends up on shelfers or out once in a while as it finishes the model to that certain period 👍now adays with multi model functions on 2.4ghz most people run one or two handsets for a lot of cars.

Is it the case that 2.4 GHz stuff is interchangeable or are they brand specific?

Tbf thats a good question that as i come from the older days of dont mix and match stuff but id guess so but others would have more experience than me on that i tend to stick to a TX for a good while ive ran two in the last 10yrs haha 😁in drones yes u need the right rx with the same Tx unless you use a module which some can emulate different brands 👍

• Thanks 1

my old Futaba 27mhz transmitters used to work with Acoms , Sanwa and of course Futaba receivers  

Each model had its own pair of crystals and i just changed TX crystal to suit model

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

my old Futaba 27mhz transmitters used to work with Acoms , Sanwa and of course Futaba receivers  

Each model had its own pair of crystals and i just changed TX crystal to suit model

I guess the challenge for me is figuring out what's compatible. 

If I've got say a 2 channel 40MHz FM transmitter, will it work with a 4 or 6 channel receiver of the same brand, carrier, range & frequency?

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

i dont think so 

but it may work other way a more than 2 ch tx may work a 2 ch rx

My enthusiasm to spend any more time buggering about with then has just gone down another notch.

• Haha 1