• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help a Newbie - £300 Budget

RC_Shaun

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Is there anything bad about the Dumbo............other than the name?

It's £35 and works however there's better out there. Personally I'd rather go one or two levels up if I'm just bashing but if the budget allows I think you should try to get the most out of your money/ budget and get something that you can grow into (model memory). 

If you are either racing or using anything with a higher value then personally I'd be looking for something better. 

Edited by Alex97

1 hour ago, Nitroholic said:

The issue is rather, how many supposedly higher end items actually contain the same cheap components as the budget items.

In my opinion, the reason stuff is cheaper isnt because of design/components (which are often just copied over) but its the quality control. Cheaper stuff doesnt have such rigorous quality control, and this where I believe costs are saved. I wouldnt trust a cheapo Radio to control a potentially expensive, heavy RC that Im more than likely using in a public place, as Im not confident in the quality control. Ive had ‘Premium’ items be faulty out the box, it happens, but Id expect it more often with ridiculously low budget stuff, and the control of my RC isnt where Id want to save money to be honest. 

Edited by Kpowell911

I think this thread is drifting off course, the OP is asking about putting a drift car package together for sub £300 and debating the merits of a £35 budget radio over a £70 budget radio seems less than helpful, and i really wonder does a drift car really need a higher level radio

The FS-BS6 receiver that comes stock with the FS-GT5 transmitter does have a gyro that can be completely set up/controlled/tuned from the menu on the hand unit. That could come in quite handy when you’re drifting outside in a load of different surfaces. 

Edit: It looks like the dumbo does have some control over the gyro function from the transmitter after all. So that may not be quite such a big advantage for the Flysky as I thought. 

https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/dumborc-rc-car-radio-review-which-one-do-i-get-and-why

Edited by BigGinge

On 11/09/2022 at 13:27, Jack Reacher said:

Is there anything bad about the Dumbo............other than the name?

Nah they're solid and use Radiolink electronics. I didn't get along with mine as it seemed to glitch out but then I remembered the cat chewed the antenna wires. My next issue was the one @Kpowell911raised, it got to the point where the build was worth a fair wedge of money, I retired the Dumbo. Aesthetics and comfort came into it, so I ended up with a 3PV. 

They're decent for the price and have great range.

Edit: didn't realise the Dumbo is now £35 lol, I paid like £21 or something daft a few years back! I'd buy a used handset at £35. However the fact remains the Dumbo will do the job...

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend going on the Modelsport website and looking at the options on there.  They helpfully suggest bundles of equipment to get your kit up and running.  You can check what they suggest for ESC, servo, battery, charger, etc.  At this budget you won't be getting anything particularly fancy.  Bear in mind that if you buy one of their bundles you will most likely save money over buying all the items individually.  300 GBP will soon disappear when you start adding everything up, especially as you are starting from nothing.  Don't forget that you will also need to budget for boring things like spray paint, masking tape, a decent set of screwdrivers and a few other tools if you are just starting.  In my opinion, Tamiya is a good product for those starting out.  They are well made and the instructions for assembly are great.  As and when your budget allows, you can start adding bling and upgrading parts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 12:07, RC_Shaun said:

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking at getting in to the hobby for a while now but I’m a little stuck so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like a decent beginner set up for outdoor  on road drifting. So far I have decided on the following…

• Tamiya tt02D chassis 
  • Dumbo x6 controller

I really want to build my own kit as well ideally

Thats as far as I’ve gotten as I’ve no idea regarding Gyro’s, ESC, Batteries, charger. I have a top budget of £300 so if anyone could compile a little shopping list with what they’d spend the budget on that would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Shaun.

£300 will get you a tt02d you could upgrade the motor and esc and a lipo