• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 6s on a budget?

MrCake

22 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

also the corally cars are I believe getting revised and the buggy gets a new front suspension set up so might be worth waiting.

Yes, I saw an Instagram teaser the other day about new stuff coming.  I think that is one of my worries that I will start looking at something out now and then be distracted when stuff starts to get refreshed or new releases 🤣

I know the 4S Arrmas were meant to appear last year but didnt for some reason so might show up early 2022.

My personal choice would be:

Used Losi 8ight 4.0 nitro roller - £150

Hobbywing Max 8/BL150 - £50-100

Motor - anything 4274/68 off Ali X/banggood - £30

Losi conversion kit - £85

Or Hyper 7/8/VSE.

The Hypers are tried and tested, no weird quality control issues, take a beating and there's a reason why some on here have had theirs over 10 years and still rate them.

£500 is a huge budget for a 1/8 buggy, well in the used market - you could pretty much run a top tier race buggy or a durable basher if you buy used. If it's something you're going to use, the moment you take it out and do a few jumps, it's used, will show signs of usage etc. Unless it's a shelf queen I don't feel there's much sense in buying new. Especially with the weird pricing as of late.

I've crashed my hyper into a brick and the brick broke lol...otherwise the only time something broke is when I didn't lock the pinion grub screw properly, and it met a 295mm car tyre at 30-40mph...just a broken wheel hub and a bent adjustment arm...

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 3

I'm not sure as I haven't ever bothered to dabble with the newer stuff as I've been satisfied with the Hyper 7/8 and used losis. 

I've been out the loop for a couple of months, but just noticed this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/1339840?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm30sD-8WjT44hEjYTIgxgk0VoCXEvKT3nzAksnze_qIRMhvInvlcrRoCHSQQAvD_BwE

Even with the purchase price of that, I think you can easily achieve your goal...

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

I'm not sure as I haven't ever bothered to dabble with the newer stuff as I've been satisfied with the Hyper 7/8 and used losis. 

I've been out the loop for a couple of months, but just noticed this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/1339840?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm30sD-8WjT44hEjYTIgxgk0VoCXEvKT3nzAksnze_qIRMhvInvlcrRoCHSQQAvD_BwE

Even with the purchase price of that, I think you can easily achieve your goal...

I don't think that is worth anywhere near £330, Not when an extra 15 quid gets you the 6s Python RTR, And not if it's for bashing.

I do agree with the second hand bit, That's why you used to see so many brand new never run hopped to the hilt Losi 5ives on eBay for silly money, Because the owners new that after just a half hour run that 2 grand 5ive is now only worth 15 hundred quid, Run it another few hours and it's down to a grand, That's a lot of money for a 3 hour drive.

Problem with second hand is prices are silly, You can get a nitro to convert, But buy the time you mess with the the mount and battery box the price gets you up to the price of a Hyper VS which can be had for £206 as a roller, I got a Nitro RB One roller off eBay the other day for 55 quid, Gonna need a strip and good clean, But loads on here were buying the brushless version for 100 quid from MBModels when RB went to the wall, And here I am paying 55 quid for a second hand 10 year old roller with no wheels and calling it a bit of a bargain.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, babylon said:

I don't think that is worth anywhere near £330, Not when an extra 15 quid gets you the 6s Python RTR, And not if it's for bashing.

I do agree with the second hand bit, That's why you used to see so many brand new never run hopped to the hilt Losi 5ives on eBay for silly money, Because the owners new that after just a half hour run that 2 grand 5ive is now only worth 15 hundred quid, Run it another few hours and it's down to a grand, That's a lot of money for a 3 hour drive.

Problem with second hand is prices are silly, You can get a nitro to convert, But buy the time you mess with the the mount and battery box the price gets you up to the price of a Hyper VS which can be had for £206 as a roller, I got a Nitro RB One roller off eBay the other day for 55 quid, Gonna need a strip and good clean, But loads on here were buying the brushless version for 100 quid from MBModels when RB went to the wall, And here I am paying 55 quid for a second hand 10 year old roller with no wheels and calling it a bit of a bargain.

Cheers Babylon, that's exactly the kind of information I was after too, how the market gauge the VSE2 is something I'm unaware of. 6S python RTR for £15 more, okay I totally missed that. Yeah fair enough, the vse2 isn't at all a compelling choice. Nor did I realise the VS is at £206 as a roller. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I agree, second hand can be bit of a pain, I've had a losi diff chew itself up as the previous owner didn't bother to fit a pinion shaft (hidden inside the gearbox) and presumably couldn't figure it out himself as he fitted a new diff and sold it on to me...I put it right by stripping the whole thing again and it was a pain as it's such a small part...and the new diff wasn't new after I had run it and realised what was wrong...

Pricing is a funny thing for sure in this hobby, there's a lot of opportunists, dreamers and borderline challenged people around. Though since I've learnt about the hobby I've been quick to filter the rubbish out and find the genuine deals and people. As ever, your milage may vary. 👍🏽

Corally do seem quite cheap at the moment.  I suspect there might be a V3 'soon' and saw they have some new 1/8th ESCs that I guess might be part of the new package.

Still planning and waiting to see what is around in March and go from there.

I look forward to quoting this thread to moan why I didn't just buy now as nothing is in stock anywhere and prices are even worse than they are now! 🤣

• Haha 1

You have to look everyday, Which I do, And I have had a lot of bargains.

This cost me £55

spacer.png

After a good clean and strip it turned into this 

spacer.png

Paid £130 for this

spacer.pngspacer.png

Biggest win was £160 for this, Brand new and unused with starter box, So there are bargains out there, You just have to keep looking.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

On 05/01/2022 at 22:20, MrCake said:

Ha ha that Jronos looks mental!  Reminds me of that kids toy RC that can work upside down as well!

Was it the VSe's that you were reinforcing the shock towers as they bent easily?

not bent the vse one yet but i did reinforce it just to be safe after what i done to my hyper 7 one lol

aXFxQqO.jpg

wJwQ0AD.jpg

the only bit on  the vse's that we noticed to have a weak spot is the front rear suspension pin holder, we upgraded to the cnc alloy ones, i did try reinforcing it first lol

PglBsLG.jpg

UghyegX.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i did reinforce just to be sure on my vse, im not the most placid of controllers 😛

QxrHHIk.jpg

just to be safe

oZgxnv3.jpg

we have never bent a shock tower but my chassis on the vse is slightly bent, but thats to be expected with the abuse i put it through 😛

15wf3IA.jpg

ohh my kronos, a skid plate plus reinforced 🙂

2Fvp2Hk.jpg

for a laugh this is my vse at moment

MxebwGf.jpg

2 kyosho dbx chassis got some use

EhZnsNq.jpg

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did see that and the DR8 is on my shortlist.  The only thing I am not sure about is the handling as it always looks very heavy (if that makes sense??)  Definitely has the speed and power but never looks that nimble (in the videos I have seen)

• 3 weeks later...