• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best scale sub £200 1/10 rc crawler

Popu noodle

Hello,

I am getting into the rc Hobby and am trying to find a good looking/scale rc crawler for less that 200. I have 150 to spend but can stretch to 200. I have looked at ftx kanyon but do not want it because of the size. I was looking at the ftx outback 2 tundra and like the body on it. Is there and rc with a scale hard body for £200 or less? I don’t mind a non hard body but I like hardbodies a lot. I don’t mind about the motor sizes and servo all that stuff because that is easily upgradable

thanks,

Hardbodies on light chassis are pretty top heavy, if your getting into it a lexan shell fiber taped is much more durable too.
The outbacks are shortwheelbase with a small motor making them a bit harder to modify, a ftx outback highrock is much bigger and really capable, they are also sold as the RGT EX86110 the 50£ extra vs the outback is worth it imo.

• Like 2

@Redbackthe only problem with the rgt ex86110 is that it is difficult to find any that ship to the uk. The Banggood one doesn’t and many other companies dont. also I have 200 max I cannot go over that I do not have enough money unless I want to wait another 6 months. I don’t need anything fancy just kinda upgradable and a decent body 

Your out of budget for anything that has a decent body or can be upgraded easily, short of a 2nd hand rig, theres quite a few on the facebook crawler groups.
You just missed out on this bargain.

I'd wait and get a better rig than dissapointing yourself when you know you want something better.

Edited by Redback

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

Your out of budget for anything that has a decent body or can be upgraded, short of a 2nd hand rig, theres quite a few on the facebook crawler groups.
You just missed out on this bargain.

I'd wait and get a better rig than dissapointing yourself when you know you want something better.

Thank you. Tbh I just need a rig now. I don’t mind if I could get a better one for a bit more money I’m not looking for anything to over the top. If it has a decent size motor and drag brake then I won’t have to upgrade much. I really don’t care if the servo is rubbish they are cheap and I could get one after I bought a crawler

1 minute ago, Popu noodle said:

@Jack Reachermy friend is getting a ftx outback 2 for Christmas so I am going to drive it and see if I like it. I like the ftx outback fury too. It doesn’t look too bad. 

Just be ware they use small motors one of the key componets to a good crawler is a good motor and esc at some point you might want to upgrade thus check the details and ensure it comes with a 540 motor if its 1/10 scale.

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

Just be ware they use small motors one of the key componets to a good crawler is a good motor and esc at some point you might want to upgrade thus check the details and ensure it comes with a 540 motor if its 1/10 scale.

Yes thank you I will make sure that it has a 540 motor and good esc. The outback 2 has a receiver+ Esc joined together without a drag brake so upgrading that would be expensive. That is my biggest reason why the outback 2 isn’t worth it

Have you had a look at the outback 3 ? If you want something for trailing rather than rock crawling then it's worth a  look. The outback is fairly lite so the 390 motor has plenty of  torque for a rig that size. You could upgrade later as and when with metal wheels (outback 3 has stronger axles) , different shocks or shock oil. As a starter it's good little car IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkshireman said:

Have you had a look at the outback 3 ? If you want something for trailing rather than rock crawling then it's worth a  look. The outback is fairly lite so the 390 motor has plenty of  torque for a rig that size. You could upgrade later as and when with metal wheels (outback 3 has stronger axles) , different shocks or shock oil. As a starter it's good little car IMO. 

Is that the ftx outback 3.0 1/24 scale. I can’t find a 1/10 of one of those. If you have a link please send to me

32 minutes ago, Yorkshireman said:

I have it now. I will take a look. Thank you

Genuinely think that going used is your best bet. Even if you go with a mediocre model, you'll save over new - and as you said, you'll replace parts eventually anyway. No point in spending new, in my mind. 

For £200 you can get some pretty decent rigs (i've seen TRX4 Sport go for that money). 

edit: Indeed, a DC1 and Enduro sold recently here for that kind of money. Or you could check if you find a Reely Free Men somewhere, SCX10 clone with part compatibility.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Hi just my opinion but recently was in your position and considering new had two options.

The FS RACING Axial SCX Clone from Nitro Tek which was 189.99 or the Carisma Coyote 2.1 from model sport 209.99.

I went with the Carisma as my first crawler and have not been disappointed, plus the service from modelsport is brilliant. Great out of the box and reliable, upgraded now and cheap/easy to work on.

Links here - 

https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/fs-racing-1-10-scale-rc-rock-crawler-with-pc-body-shell.html?ff=3&fp=11500

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/1335002?gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUlbDlvB3y7C3GmJAKTYdHwj3HhbXCVzYSecELM1u53b4TvG6Y0qpwRoCiqgQAvD_BwE

Karl

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an upgraded Gmade Komodo GS02 for sale (in the for sale section), if that's of any interest? Even standard, it's a premium truck and miles better than the Outback & Kanyon. It's had a lot of money spent on it.

The shell is a little beat up, though. Feel free to check it out. :good: