• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to me Arrma Typhon

everclear1984

So last night I found myself browsing Facebook marketplace again, and sure enough I now have my first Arrma! 🤣 It's a Typhon MEGA and the seller says he's upgraded the diffs to the 3s version and slipper assembly to 0.8 mod. However, I've had it apart and while the slipper assembly does indeed look to be the upgraded version, the spur is still 48dp. My question is, can I just buy and fit the 0.8 spur and pinion? I plan on going brushless and the amount of plastic on this thing scares me!

IMG20211205100600

IMG20211205102229

IMG20211205102214

11 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Lots of plastic, and i did not keep my Senton......i think the main metal parts were the brushless and the wiring...sorry cant help on the question

Ummmm. Thanks, I guess 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Ummmm. Thanks, I guess 🤷‍♂️

Arrma are good, dont let my negative feelings put the downers on it, but if your planning brushless conversion they may be a bit more parts to get, sorry i just have issue`s with Horizon hobby, hence i dont and wont ever own any of their planes

• Like 1

Plastic is resilliant and flexes metal may be stro ger but if it bends/deforms then really should be replaced

I would run it and see what the weak ponts are then upgrade it where needed :good:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Plastic is resilliant and flexes metal may be stro ger but if it bends/deforms then really should be replaced

I would run it and see what the weak ponts are then upgrade it where needed :good:

My issue isn't with the plastic chassis components but the plastic diffs! From what I've seen they don't seem to be a big issue but come on, plastic diffs??!!

I think I'll do as you say and just run it and see what happens.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Dont the Hypers like the H7,ST AND VSe have plastic diffs ?

And ive never had any diff probs with them 

The diff casing is plastic on Hobaos  but the gears are metal (ring and pinion).

I THINK this Arrma comes with plastic gears, but i think the brushless one has Plastic gears too, justa completely different ratio

https://www.arrma-rc.com/vehicle-comparison/ARA102722/ARA102694I

@everclear1984 is yours a V1, V2 or V3?

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The diff casing is plastic on Hobaos  but the gears are metal (ring and pinion).

I THINK this Arrma comes with plastic gears.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/444778?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rCr4zi11jXlOWKu7vv4jl6DfsPiT-AyUalJUhQNSjvx0C3FzDDUOvQaAnMxEALw_wcB

Ohh plastic gears puts a different slant on it then 🤔 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

Ohh plastic gears puts a different slant on it then 🤔 

I think theyre plastic on the Brushless version too?

This is a good read

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/mega-blx-comparison.9290/

As well as post 5 here

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/typhon-blx-vs-mega.26568/

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I THINK this Arrma comes with plastic gears, but i think the brushless one has Plastic gears too, justa completely different ratio

https://www.arrma-rc.com/vehicle-comparison/ARA102722/ARA102694I

That link is super helpful, thank you. I'm not 100% sure what version I have but I think it's an older model with a few of the 3s upgrades. The diffs are the 3s 37t version, the slipper assembly appears to be the 3s version, but for some reason still has the 48dp spur.

I'm really struggling with understanding what's what with all of the different models/versions. Can anyone tell me why there are two different slipper setups with the same 0.8 mod spur?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/arrma-hd-57t-slipper-set-0-8mod-ara310949-83087?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rDq6mFtWDvg84SkdPeKWJaMDJdC1xJfrVs4z4PeNPBl5WmjQ8plxQYaAhSaEALw_wcB

This is the one I have

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/arrma-50t-slipper-set-0-8-mod-ara311110-102879?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rAdr2kncGw3B0Aze5c11Nxf8Nc_rfM333GoO07864xeWsNpbffcjjcaAgzREALw_wcB

2 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Plastic has it's place in a drivetrain - namely the spur as a cheap as (should be) easily changed item.  Plastic diff gears belong on brushed rc from the before the last stone age.

Totally agree, toy you grade springs to mind. I thought Traxxas were had with their plastic drive shafts but this is next level. Thankfully upgraded metal gears are available for a small fee of £100 all-in (2 crown gears and 2 pinions) 😡

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

Here-in lies the rub - if you've gotta drop that much extra on top it becomes less of an attractive proposition... (not aimed at OP).   Even box stock I see many owners having issues, not just the drivetrain.

It used to be the done thing buying the brushed version of many RC and putting your own combo in, with the cost often being the same or less than buying the factory brushless rig even knowing the brushed electrics usually had next to no resale value.  This way you could spec the system to suit your needs better too - for cell count etc.   Such things were possible because the brushed / brushless version was identical, or essentially so, bar the electrics.

For me, these brushed arrma rigs are a total cash grab, to entice new folks to the scene / brand at a face value lower price and them milk em down the line.  Not great business sense for a brand, but when your a huge disti with many brand names under your belt I guess the long term plan could involve ditching a brand down the line.  It's a shame I guess, as I really want to like / see the value in an entry level 1/8 rig.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Here-in lies the rub - if you've gotta drop that much extra on top it becomes less of an attractive proposition... (not aimed at OP).   Even box stock I see many owners having issues, not just the drivetrain.

It used to be the done thing buying the brushed version of many RC and putting your own combo in, with the cost often being the same or less than buying the factory brushless rig even knowing the brushed electrics usually had next to no resale value.  This way you could spec the system to suit your needs better too - for cell count etc.   Such things were possible because the brushed / brushless version was identical, or essentially so, bar the electrics.

For me, these brushed arrma rigs are a total cash grab, to entice new folks to the scene / brand at a face value lower price and them milk em down the line.  Not great business sense for a brand, but when your a huge disti with many brand names under your belt I guess the long term plan could involve ditching a brand down the line.  It's a shame I guess, as I really want to like / see the value in an entry level 1/8 rig.

Gone are the days of being able to blindly buy the brushed version knowing you could drop a brushless system in it and be on your way. More research needed on my part in the future!

In fairness with what I paid for the car if I were to go all out on this thing I would be around the price of a new BLX but with the addition of a HD slipper assembly and metal spur, ring and pinion gears. Maybe not a total loss, but still a big hit to the wallet.

Edited by everclear1984

17 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Does anyone else find it impossible to remove these quote boxes if they accidentally click them?? ^^

So I went and ordered the HD slipper assembly with steel spur gear, steel pinion and metal motor mount (that's right, it had a plastic motor mount too!!). Looks like I'm all in on this one now lol.

17 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Totally agree. Traxxas 2WD confuse me the most. The brushed set ups come with the Brushless ready transmission etc. Brilliant. Then they skimp by putting bushings in the wheel hubs? Why? Surely any cost savings (if at all) are undone by having two different parts to install?!

22 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Does anyone else find it impossible to remove these quote boxes if they accidentally click them?? ^^

So I went and ordered the HD slipper assembly with steel spur gear, steel pinion and metal motor mount (that's right, it had a plastic motor mount too!!). Looks like I'm all in on this one now lol.

Maybe look at Jennys RC for parts if youre not in a rush?

@everclear1984 not sure if any use to you but I spotted a for sale this evening on Facebook in a group called " RC Cars For Sale In Uk Only"  from a guy called "Jamie Docking" for a load of Arrma parts to convert 3-4S plastic diffs to steel.

Quote: 

For sale, the parts to convert your 3/4S plastic diff, to steel.
You will need the internal gears and pins from your stock diff.
AR310885 cnc metal crown wheel. 37t
AR310886 cnc metal pinion. 13t
AR310875 diff gasket set
AR310772 composite diff case.
When bought from Modelsport these cost £60.39.

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

@everclear1984 not sure if any use to you but I spotted a for sale this evening on Facebook in a group called " RC Cars For Sale In Uk Only"  from a guy called "Jamie Docking" for a load of Arrma parts to convert 3-4S plastic diffs to steel.

Quote: 

For sale, the parts to convert your 3/4S plastic diff, to steel.
You will need the internal gears and pins from your stock diff.
AR310885 cnc metal crown wheel. 37t
AR310886 cnc metal pinion. 13t
AR310875 diff gasket set
AR310772 composite diff case.
When bought from Modelsport these cost £60.39.

Thanks for the link but that's just the parts to convert one diff. The diff case and gasket aren't really necessary so it actually works out cheaper to just buy the parts I need from MS.

I do intend to switch to steel diffs eventually but I think I'll run the plastic ones on 4s first out of curiosity to see how long they last!

• Like 1

Work has started converting this 🍋 to a useable 4s basher!

Aluminium motor plate is in, replacing the crappy stock plastic one along with a more substantial slipper setup and steel 0.8mod spur/pinion

IMG20211209144933

The weight of the motor is known to bend these motor plates on heavy landings so I went and printed a support. Not my design but I wish it was! It's very well thought out

IMG_20211209_142843

IMG20211209145019

Power wise it's running an Absima system removed from my Hyper 7. 2300kv motor, 120amp ESC

IMG_20211209_150328

I just need to shim the diffs then it'll be ready for it's first run 🙂 I'm interested to see what gives out first, the plastic drive shafts or the plastic crown/pinion gears!

• Like 1