• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why The Price Disparity Between Model Shops

Buggy Malone

Hi All,

I'm just getting into the hobby and having bought my most recent RC model 2-weeks ago (for top dollar I may add), I'm now looking at something else - I suspect this is called 'RC Car addiction' which I now appear to have, lol.

That being said, I've taken a few cost examples from 9 (*) seperate model shops/suppliers and in some cases I'm questioning why the price difference is so noticeable.

Example: I looked at 4 different FTX kits and in each case I noted the different costs to buy:

1.  DR8: 339, 349, 359, 379, 420.

2.  Outlaw BL:  193, 199, 213, 215, 240.

3.  Vantage BL:  179, 188, 198, 199, 200, 220.

4.  Vantage 2.0:  118, 119, 120, 133, 139.

I appreciate that there's a whole load of variables in pricing but the internet is a useful tool for interrogating the various prices so why the difference?

One more question:  If your local model shop had the model you wanted then would any of you ask for a price match or would you simply use an internet 'search and purchase' to buy it in the first place.

Cheers guys,

Andrew

(*) = RC Geeks, Howes Models, Kings Lynn Models, North East Model Centre, ModelSport, eBay, CML, Redfin, Wheelspin.

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

The price difference will be largely down to buying power, shops like MS can buy in larger quantities and some might be down to greed and or overheads

Good points indeed, many thanks ;-)

I bought my FTX Outlaw BL for £240 from my local shop whereas I could have bought it for £40+ cheaper and that included free P&P too.

The missus said that we should buy local or else we'll lose the shop if people didn't use it but I've got to admit that I had a hard time paying the extra dosh.

I now need extra lipo batteries, chargers and a few spares, plus potentially a new RC model so that bundle will cost another £100 if I go local - so I'm now torn between buying local and saving my hard earned cash - and £110 is a whole load of money which I can use for other things.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Hobbyking is the go to place for Lipo`s and chargers, but only order from the EU not global and watch shipping cost, even look at ebay for charger, and HK for lipo`s

I appreciate the top tip. Many thanks ;-)

• Thanks 1

I always used to try and buy local at model shops but i noticed they started marking prices up in the end dont get me wrong i know they have to survive but they mark there self out the market to a piont it drove people would rather buy online etc shame theres less and less of them about but in this day and age its just hard for a brick and mortar to compete with online etc 

• Like 1

I have a local modelshop that do a few bits for my speed run RC's that most other modelshop's don't do, imported bodyshells from the USA & tyres from Italy but for everything else I will always shops around for the best prices. 

Tbh every single RC that I have bought brand new in the last 2 years bar one has been from Modelsport UK as if you ask them they will price match anywhere else providing they can. :good:

• Like 2

I also use a local model shop for quick fixes, screws what not, hes not cheaper than online but they are a dime a dozen and need supporting, free biscuts too!
Just one bloke trying to cut a living, sadly due to retire soon so hopefully some one takes up the investment and keeps it going. Might aswell give Mark at Hobbyhut in Redditch a shout out hes been good to me.

• Like 2

Honestly working 5 days a week with a bit of travel for work a local hobby shop isn't actually convenient for me. If an online order arrives in 5 working days that's normally quicker than I could get to my local hobby shop. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bajadre said:

I always used to try and buy local at model shops but i noticed they started marking prices up in the end dont get me wrong i know they have to survive but they mark there self out the market to a piont it drove people would rather buy online etc shame theres less and less of them about but in this day and age its just hard for a brick and mortar to compete with online etc 

It's a real shame that the number of model shops is diminishing these days but the internet and its cheap prices seem to be knocking the smaller establishments. My two frequent haunts have both gone since I last participated in the hobby many moons ago - a sad loss indeed.

The thing about my local shop is that all of the kits and RTR cars are listed at RRP whereas their part & replacement prices are very reasonable so I'm a bit torn!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I have a local modelshop that do a few bits for my speed run RC's that most other modelshop's don't do, imported bodyshells from the USA & tyres from Italy but for everything else I will always shops around for the best prices. 

Tbh every single RC that I have bought brand new in the last 2 years bar one has been from Modelsport UK as if you ask them they will price match anywhere else providing they can. :good:

Cheers mate, that's really good to know about the potential ModelSport price match offer. 

MS is quite a distance in the car to me but I've seen the internal shop photos on the internet and I would like to take a visit one day. Due to CV19 I don't think we can visit the store for a rummage yet though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redback said:

I also use a local model shop for quick fixes, screws what not, hes not cheaper than online but they are a dime a dozen and need supporting, free biscuts too!
Just one bloke trying to cut a living, sadly due to retire soon so hopefully some one takes up the investment and keeps it going. Might aswell give Mark at Hobbyhut in Redditch a shout out hes been good to me.

I don't even get free biscuits at home as I'm on a diet now, according to the missus ;-)

The Hobbyhut has exceptional reviews from what I've just read but it only seems to trade via FaceBook and I don't have an account. 

12 hours ago, lorrylemming said:

Honestly working 5 days a week with a bit of travel for work a local hobby shop isn't actually convenient for me. If an online order arrives in 5 working days that's normally quicker than I could get to my local hobby shop. 

Yep, totally agree.......I think you've hit the nail on the head for many of us.

My two local shops are 40 and 50 minutes away so not exactly handy, plus the rocketing price of fuel doesn't exactly make it a cheap trip.

That said, I do like walking into a modelshop and feeling the ambience; it takes me back a few years and it certainly puts a grinning smile on the old chops :good:

I used to love going to my local model shop on a Saturday and browse their stock but they moved to another town with bigger premises to concentrate on the online selling and no longer open at weekends and now find it really hard to visit now 🥴

Its basically a warehouse with a really small front shop with not a lot to browse 😞

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

I don't even get free biscuits at home as I'm on a diet now, according to the missus 😉

The Hobbyhut has exceptional reviews from what I've just read but it only seems to trade via FaceBook and I don't have an account. 

Thats old, he hasnt updated or used the facebook in ages afaik, to much work managing social and the shop, just constant questions on facebook too id assume would be pretty demotivating not getting work from it.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 14:13, Shergar said:

Timetunnel is the worlds smallest shop, to the rafters but he's keen on his FTX prices and ships well.

Thanks good mate, some top advice there. I've just checked the Time Tunnel Model website and as per your advice; their FTX kits are the cheapest on the net (£194 for an Outlaw BL and £110 for a Vantage 2.0).......free P&P too.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 15:45, Bajadre said:

totally agree brother all we have left in bristol now is an antics last time i rang about a part the dude didnt understand anything i was saying and told me to buy it online haha theres still a cool little rc shop down in Weston super mare town which i love to pop in that type its tiny but crammed with planes hanging from the roof and dusty boxes piled up lol i love it cos he does part exchange stuff so i always check out the small 2nd hand rc for sales find a bargain once in a while, i went away on holiday for a weekend down there once with the missus and she was like leave the RCs for 3 days i ended buying a heng long tank and a 2nd hand rustler her face when i turned up at the caravan was priceless haha 🤣

She's a very lucky girl to have you mate :cheers:

It's also a blessing in disguise for her that you're running off with a plastic model and not a gorgeous blonde, lol.

I like your style ;-)

All the best,

Andrew