• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Rustler VXL….

A few years ago on the Traxxas forum  i said the price of the rustler arms should have dropped in price as it was so old  but a MOD said they will once tooling costs  were made back. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So Santa has been, and he delivered some upgrades too. Now, it didnt need much but I do love a slightly modified Rustler….. so as Boxing Days are boring….

Here’s the start, all it REALLY needed was a new rear tyre as its running a front on the rear:

DcQ6caQ.jpg

ccQUOXx.jpg

Some upgrades:

Stock set of wheels and Tyres

Alloy Shock Caps

Alloy Rear Hubs

Alloy Front Hubs

Alloy Castor Blocks

Alloy Front Bulkhead

Alloy Steering Bellcranks

RPM Arms

Stock new style chassis and upper deck. This one has a longer battery tray, I also dyed it black

J7r6uHm.jpg

nphalY1.jpg

Ill get a better transmission case and MIP driveshafts soon:

57IaWax.jpg

jR97DDQ.jpg

nPd3WMv.jpg

aFTtB6I.jpg

E clip has been fitted since

TtfZ3D1.jpg

jhmmEhR.jpg

I dont like running wheelie bars, but I like the cage to support the motor, and its only £5ish

5Q02ACn.jpg

A new servo and driveshafts are on order, not really got a use for this, but its nice to have. May pick up a new shell too

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, steephill said:

Looking good👍 The black chassis chassis looks way better. What transmission case are you going to be using? I had the rpm case on a 2wd slash but prefer the hot racing aluminium case. 

Probably a black alloy hot racing one

• 4 weeks later...

Few bits and bobs

Was struggling to find some upgraded rear axles in the UK, so went with A Main:

MIP Rear CVDs

STRC Blue alloy Battery Bar. I forgot to dye the grey one so wasted some cash on this 

RPM Front and Rear Towers. Because RPM

I browse eBay/etc every day for used Traxxas stuff and snagged the following:

Traxxas Turnbuckle set (blue alloy)

Used Traxxas rear tyres. When I got this it came with 3 fronts. This gives me a second complete set

NYcMElN.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty decent Rustler now if I dont say so myself. Fitted all the above, the MIPs were a pain as they needed a 1mm allen key…. Which is rare. Also added a Power HD 18kg servo for some reason?

NbZFdtm.jpg

JoRinvr.jpg

TTtaNxP.jpg

Ive rectified the toe/camber post pic. 

I could do with better shocks, but we will see. 

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, better late than never. 

Waited ages for this, its just a cheap aluminium transmission from china. But the quality is genuinely amazing. However it doesnt seem to come with any screws that fit? So Ive used my own. 

Ive also took the opportunity to gear up

Lighting is terrible in my new room, so will need to sort that

XCOrKli.jpg

Old vs new

C7ufSs9.jpg

All in good order internally

O7vee9I.jpg

I need to get a new style hinge pin screw as its a horrible Cross Head

JkmVjKG.jpg

Q8bKw87.jpg

As you can see, doesnt really protect the motor, so Im going to look at “adapting” the stock motor cage. 

I didnt get any further as I went to see The Batman 🦇😄

• Like 2

Good to have memories like that of when you first got into RC.  I remember being proportionally far more chuffed / happier back then with what I would consider now to be a fairly small or insignificant upgrade.  When you have less of everything, even the little things mean so much more... think there's a lesson in there somewhere!

• Like 1

Full Spec:

Traxxas Rustler VXL

Stock VXL ESC & Motor

Traxxas Motor Cage

Power HD Servo

Dyed Black 2022 Chassis and Upper Deck

Blue Aluminium Steering Bellcranks

Blue Aluminium C Hubs

Blue Aluminium Steering Knuckles

Blue Aluminium Rear Hubs

Blue Aluminium Front Bulkhead

Blue Aluminium Shock Caps

Blue Aluminium Turnbuckles

Blue Aluminium Steering Links

Black  Aluminium Transmission Housing

STRC Blue Aluminium Battery Strap

RPM Front Arms

RPM Rear Arms

RPM Front Shock Tower

RPM Rear Shock Tower

MIP CVDs

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Good to have memories like that of when you first got into RC.  I remember being proportionally far more chuffed / happier back then with what I would consider now to be a fairly small or insignificant upgrade.  When you have less of everything, even the little things mean so much more... think there's a lesson in there somewhere!

I remember having that Novak brushless SS5800 ESC/Motor. I was 15 I think working at Sainsburys but the way the wages worked was a Sunday was paid at an hourly rate plus a premium rate. I was on £2.86 I think an hour but the premium part was adult rate, was maybe £6? So Id be on £8.86, not paying Tax. Thats the only way I could afford it.  I brought the Novak system from Tower, it was alien to have a brushless set up then! Especially in a budget Rustler!

I just typed the spec of this above, this would have been like the absolute dream ultimate RC back then!

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 16:17, Kpowell911 said:

So managed to fab up something to use the motor cage for motor protection

4oP8Fjf.jpg

hItUCwv.jpg

4oP8Fjf.jpg

2jrkYQv.jpg

Its crying out for new shocks I know. 

The Rustler 2WD platform holds a special place in my heart. I must have had 10/15 of them

over the years. My first one was a kit with a clear shell. Yes. A Traxxas kit pre RTR! Traxxas were very small in the UK, and you could phone their UK Distributor direct for parts via mail order!! I spent a lot of my teenage years staying up late on the US Traxxas forum which was immensley busy! I remember buying everything (upgrades wise) in drips and drabs from TOWER Hobbies using discount codes. I even managed to go Brushless with a Novak SS5800 system! Took me years to get the money together for that, I worked weekends at Sainsburys 4 hour shifts of a weekend to buy bits. Then my Nan and Grandad who lived in Devon bought me a Stampede when I was 15/16, and I converted all the upgrades over to it from my battered Rustler. 

Funny thing is, due to my finances compared to now, this is probably the best ever Rustler 2WD Ive ever had, and yet its probably my worst RC and wont get much use. 

Think thats why Im so close to Traxxas even though theyre a completely different company these days!

that is one tidy looking rustler and i agree that the 2wd traxxas are super fun, got a very old rustler and a bandit here and i love them 🙂

• Like 1

Gave it a run today. Honestly, in 2022, 2wd and 3S doesnt work. Its so twitchy, gets stuck on everything. Im sure this would benefit from new tyres, but dont think Im gonna put any more effort into this, may even sell it

cSBk70H.jpg

rz7cB6H.jpg

zEviu4P.jpg