• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbywing max 8 Vs max 6?

Russell iow

Is there any disadvantage if you over spec a ESC?

I want a ESC for a 1/8 truggy, my Thunder Tiger st1.

I had fitted a max 8 and a 2200kv motor but the motor got very hot running 6s and I have since fitted that combo in my hyper vse.  It still gets warm in that at 3s.

In either case I don't think the ESC got hot but can't me sure.

I plan to run both on 4s but may occasionally go 6s on the truggy.

i run my truggy on 6s with a max 8 and cc motor (used the hw one before no problems )  only time i get heat problems is on a VERY hot day russ shouldnt even warm on 3s maybe binding in the drivetrain or something? wheel size will matter too if running MT tyres 

id try gearing it down first and see if the temps are better 👍

• Like 1

Could you please define warm? Depending on what you define as warm, this may be normal. 

What's your cooling solution like? 2200kv on 6s isn't easy to tame without some good air flow. I run the same setup (albeit sensored) and this is pretty normal. Running on 3s generates heat too, but nothing major, e.g. I can hold the motor once a 3s /4s cell is depleted without issue. Depending on the shell, e.g. when I used a narrower shell with less air flow, 4S on 16T 2200kv was a challenge...

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Russell iow said:

Is there any disadvantage if you over spec a ESC?

I want a ESC for a 1/8 truggy, my Thunder Tiger st1.

I had fitted a max 8 and a 2200kv motor but the motor got very hot running 6s and I have since fitted that combo in my hyper vse.  It still gets warm in that at 3s.

In either case I don't think the ESC got hot but can't me sure.

I plan to run both on 4s but may occasionally go 6s on the truggy.

i don't see a problem in overspeccing the esc, (a motor will draw as much current as it wants) but your motor getting hot sounds more like a gearing issue to me 🙂

the only issue would be the opposite where a motor draws too many amps from a lower specced esc and the esc goes pop 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon

Check meshing isn't too tight and what pinion gear are you running - air flow is really important, if air isn't flowing past your motor no matter what you do with gearing the heat will continue to build. 

I'm geared up beyond spec at the moment and I don't have cooling issues anymore, even on 6S - and that's all down to air flow. 

My 2200kv motors seem to run a fair bit hotter than my 2000kv of the same can size...

8 minutes ago, Russell iow said:

What's the recommended max temp for ESC and motor?

Here is the table where the brand says to you the thermal limits for this ESC:

And for the motor the image below:

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-27 a las 17.01.40.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-27 a las 17.04.19.png

On 20/10/2021 at 19:00, Nitroholic said:

a hot motor is usually a gearing issue..... but if the motor was hot, not the ESC....then the ESC was fine.

Unless you are permanently running on a grass field.

I generally have to drop about 5 teeth on the pinny if I come off the black stuff onto the grass.