• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheapest way into nitro cars

augusvena

Hey, I have been looking into nitro rc vehicles, mainly cars and wanted to know what is the cheapest way into it? I have worked on many small engines and understand them pretty well and though nitro cars would be fun. Would eBay be a easy way to pick one up? If I’m not seriou showbox s about racing or top of the line products, can I just pick up the cheap speed test est buggy out there or will it break apart easily. (Heard the plastic gears can break easily) thanks.

Edited by augusvena

I don’t know if I’d suggest used for 1st model simply because of all the unknowns (dodgy motors, worn parts/gears, dodgy bearings etc.) but you can of course pick up some gems on the used market.

My standard response for a cheap basher (not racer) buggy would be a hobao hyper 7 though - cheapish, tough as old boots and parts are everywhere 👍🏻

• Like 2

I can only echo the advice I was given before I got my first nitro.

Look at the cheap entry level models to work out a budget. Then double it an d DO NOT buy a cheap car. Buy a well known model, with good support from a manufacturer that has been about for a bit. Read reviews on reliability and ease of tuning, not speed etc.

Having a basic understanding of engines and how things screw together is a good start point, but you will need to learn the specifics of nitro motors. Tuning, break in process, and basic care of the engine and systems.

Now....buying used can be a good tactic....but...for the love of God, buy something in good order, that is clean and tidy, has no obvious damage, and when you ask the seller things like 'what maintenance do you do' and 'how many tanks of fuel have been run through the motor' ..that the person knows the answers. I always cringe when I see people selling cars covered in mud, with rusty chewed up screws and bits hanging off. I would suggest buying from where you can collect it...and get the seller to start and demonstrate it before you pay.

Buying new, you don;t have those concerns....but you do have to break in the new motor and tune it from scratch, where a used item should already be running. If the tune and throttle setup is off ( and it can be from my experience. I bought a new truck with the throttle so far off it was basically wide open at neutral throttle ) you have to go through set up the servo, set up the idle, then break in and tune the motor. Can be good to learn...but an also be a potential series of things that could stasll getting you out there and having fun.

It is really a question of how much of a challenge you want, as opposed to the risk of a goosed motor or worn driveline.

Hyper 7 is a solid choice ( though I would suggest the .21 motor over the .28 Macstar...personally I don't like it as an engine ) , HPI Trophy now HPI is alive again but also consider when you buy new... you need a hump pack for the servo, a charger to charge it, fuel, after run oil and basic tools. Also consider getting a couple of spare glowplugs as they can die fast during break in

• Like 2

Some great advice there from @Nitroholic

I wouldn't get to hung up on things breaking as the nature of this hobby is that nothing is indestructible. If you bash, you will break something at some point. But repairing & rebuilding is also part of the fun. 

As for what to buy all I can do is echo the advice already given. 

Buy something proven (research it) to be solid. With readily available spares. No point in buying something cheap off eBay only to realise that you can't get spares anywhere.

Let us know what you get & have fun 😁