• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WL Toys Owners Thread

Just a heads up that these are now available to actually pre-order from Banggood as of this morning.  They had been on 'arrival notice'  for weeks but now you can actually add them to your basket and pay,

EDIT:  Think the 124017 is coming much sooner which is typical when I have gone for the 124016 😏

Edited by MrCake
Edit

• 3 weeks later...

At least these ones have a 3 wire servo and separate esc, so you could easily get a radio with a bit more range on it. 

Cogging might be a trickier fix. 

I was already thinking of sticking in  a spare dumborc receiver so that part doesnt bother me too much.  I probably also wouldn't run in tall grass as I have 1/10 stuff for that but frustrating all the same.  Cue the threads on how to convert them to brushed 🤣

Think I am more annoyed that I bought this as I got bored waiting for my EMB-MT (wanted something small to chuck in a rucksack) and it turns out it has some pretty bad flaws 😏

I did see a press release for a sensored 380 size brushless motor from Surpass Hobby on some of the LC Racing Facebook groups this week. That might help things quite a bit, when paired with a new esc, once they are available. 

Edit:

https://www.rcfans.com/article-17659-1.html?fbclid=IwAR1CQDG9sAHHO8fekuc9_lOZrlNAhrC2BzQN96vJjZxCs1Cl0DzxYbyzLXo

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

Anyone else got either of these yet?  I am in two minds whether to keep mine but then I am not sure of how easy it is to return something to Banggood.  The cogging is pretty awful and while there might be some solutions, I do feel cheated that they sent them out like this.

I probably need to take it outside to where I was going to run this kind of thing but if it is rubbish then it would probably be too late to send it back as it will have got dirty/scratched at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MrCake said:

And just like that, Banggood have removed the 124016 from their website for purchase!

Hmm, so they have. I wonder why they've just discontinued that model & not the '017...

If you're keeping this and want to try and fix the cogging then there is a helpful guide on some options for this at QuadifyRC now:

https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/wl-toys-124016-124017-eat14-cogging-issue-solved

3 hours ago, BigGinge said:

If you're keeping this and want to try and fix the cogging then there is a helpful guide on some options for this at QuadifyRC now:

https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/wl-toys-124016-124017-eat14-cogging-issue-solved

Thanks for that, will take a look!  Did keep it in the end as Banggood were being a bit of a pain and in the end they offered me a partial refund which I accepted. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 22:12, James.S said:

it says it cant ship to uk though.

what is that about?

44 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

it says it cant ship to uk though.

what is that about?

Says ships to United Kingdom on both for me. £18 for the 017 and Free for the 016.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James.S said:

Says ships to United Kingdom on both for me. £18 for the 017 and Free for the 016.

hhmmm....very strange, maybe they dont like me 😄 😄 

il try again later, thanks man 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Team, 

Have any of you guys bought a 124017 yet.

I watched the Tomley RC video (great presentation BTW) and I'm thinking of buying one......and  at £112 from Banggood they seem good value.

Not wishing to sound uncool but I had never heard of Banggood until this thread - are they OK to use?

Thanks all,

Andrew

I've not had any trouble buying stuff from Banggood (or AliExpress) before; I think they are bit like amazon/ebay in that they are mostly just a storefront for other companies who actually supply the goods to you. They do seem to have control over any issues that you have with you order, which is handy, and have quickly sorted out refunds quickly whenever I've had an issue with broken/missing stuff I've bought (though I've never had to return anything to them before). 

• Like 2

On 02/12/2021 at 10:44, BigGinge said:

I've not had any trouble buying stuff from Banggood (or AliExpress) before; I think they are bit like amazon/ebay in that they are mostly just a storefront for other companies who actually supply the goods to you. They do seem to have control over any issues that you have with you order, which is handy, and have quickly sorted out refunds quickly whenever I've had an issue with broken/missing stuff I've bought (though I've never had to return anything to them before). 

Thanks for posting the info up B-G, that's really good to know.

All the best,

Andrew

3 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Probably best to hang fire on these.  @Tomley RChas released a video today on the much improved V2.  Still not got around to changing the motor in my V1 but kind of wish I had pushed more to just get the thing sent back!

Thanks for that, much appreciated - l'll take a look at his site as his first video on the 124017 was very good.

Mines arrived a few weeks ago from Banggood and it was the V2 of the 124017, well impressed with it.

I moved the wiring around the motor heatsink like @Tomley RC had done.

Moved the receiver to sit behind the battery and re routed the servo and esc wires under the drive shaft.

Hot glued them and the switch  near the servo.

Had a few alloy parts to fit.

Eventually used a reamer on the body to allow the fan to stick out.

The body sit's really flat now.

I'm sure a Phat Bodies shell would make all the difference ! 

I wonder now about the best battery 2s/3s you could fit in this car/moving the battery holder back, without changing much?

Great car for the money imo  (V2)

Just haven't been able to take it out due to the weather here recently.

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Like 2