• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losing interest in electric, do I commit to nitro?

nareik72

Hi, as the title suggests, I'm losing interest in electric rc.

I have had numerous RC's of all kinds. Micro, large scale, electric, nitro etc. I recently got a typhon 6s and quickly fell in love. However, a few months ago I picked up a hpi trophy truggy 4.6, my first nitro for a couple of years.

I remember one day taking the typhon and hpi for a bash, first running the hpi and having a great time. I then switched to the typhon and it almost felt boring. It was fast and jumped high, but it just felt like nothing.

I've run the typon once since then and it was okay until the steering servo died and since then its been sat on the shelf and I have no real motivation to sort it.

I'm considering selling it and getting a nitro buggy to run alongside the hpi truggy at a local track. Is this a good decision? It would mean that both of my main RC's are nitro and while I do have areas to run them, I know how much hassle they can be sometimes.

I have a few smaller electric RC's to mess with, but nothing else like the typhon.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I like the idea of having one of each, but I'm just not liking electric at the moment. What should I do? and if I were to buy a new nitro, what would be recommended? Thanks

I would recommend a Hyper 7 TQ sport  if you buy a nitro buggy :good:

However im going opposite direction and converting to leccy having just converted my Hyper ST and Hyper 7 to leccy as i really cant be bothered with all the faffing about with nitro like getting it started , getting it tuned and at end of day its not as fast as leccy or the fast response leccy has :cheers:

But after saying that i will keep a couple of 1/10ths or smaller for nitro but main trucks cars will be leccy , dunno maybe im getting old lol :insane:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I would recommend a Hyper 7 TQ sport  if you buy a nitro buggy :good:

However im going opposite direction and converting to leccy having just converted my Hyper ST and Hyper 7 to leccy as i really cant be bothered with all the faffing about with nitro like getting it started , getting it tuned and at end of day its not as fast as leccy or the fast response leccy has :cheers:

But after saying that i will keep a couple of 1/10ths or smaller for nitro but main trucks cars will be leccy , dunno maybe im getting old lol :insane:

What he said! I have one of his Mac28 engines and put it in a Hobao dominator yesterday...turned it on, one by one the neighbours started coming out 🤪

Turned it off and asked niece and brother to finish it off at theirs 😁

Anyway, another vote for the Hyper 7 TQ sport, then again I may be biased as I have one myself. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Bert_w164 said:

What he said! I have one of his Mac28 engines and put it in a Hobao dominator yesterday...turned it on, one by one the neighbours started coming out 🤪

Turned it off and asked niece and brother to finish it off at theirs 😁

Anyway, another vote for the Hyper 7 TQ sport, then again I may be biased as I have one myself. 

So have i converted to leccy and its more nuts now than when nitro lol :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dad and i are going the other way and converting nitro cars to leccy ones, got bored off all the faffing about nitro can bring plus the noise means finding places to run can be challenging, converted a hyper 7 tq recently and its more insane than when it was nitro plus can run it out side the house lol

im gonna echo the other guys and say the hyper 7 tq if getting a new nitro 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, you've all given me the motivation to at least get the typhon out and spend a bit of time with it and get it out when the weather clears up. Maybe I'll fall in love again.

Thanks for your recommendations, too 😁

• Like 2

After growing up with electric only and then getting in to nitro in the early 2000s through to late noughties before going back to electric, but back to nitro again a few years ago, and I race AND bash, I can honestly say, that with a good engine, nitro still brings a smile.  Electric is impressive, but somewhat sterile.

When I say a good engine, I don't mean a macstar 28, or the hyper 21 3 port, or anything like that, I mean a good engine.  I have the original thunder tiger 21 engine in my MGT still, but thunder tiger make engines to actually work.  

I've had the hypers, macstars, and sh 26s, and really, they're crap.  I used to try and race with them and they were not reliable at all, thus making me frustrated with nitro.  Now I'm more experienced and have a bit of spare income, I buy better, eg: something that isn't 80 quid from china.  I use better fuel, and I afterun it and keep it stored at bdc.  Loads of fun.  The sound, the smell.  It's an aural delight.

• Like 1

I think a buggy doesn't have much character in the chassis so an electric buggy is very boring to drive. A nitro buggy handles amazing so you can focus on the engine. I think if you get something electric the excitement needs to be in the chassis as the engine is not. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jumper said:

I think a buggy doesn't have much character in the chassis so an electric buggy is very boring to drive. A nitro buggy handles amazing so you can focus on the engine. I think if you get something electric the excitement needs to be in the chassis as the engine is not. 

This is a really interesting viewpoint and one I’ve never thought of before 👌

I never thought of that. The trophy truggy glides over rough surfaces and you can see the suspension working. It dives under braking and lifts a front wheel under hard acceleration and turning. It has so much more control in the air.

The typhon is low and suspension is hard meaning you really don't get any of this, it doesn't have the same character that the truggy has. That coupled with the lack of noise, smell and tuning, doesn't leave you with much.

Now I have another dilemma! Maybe it isn't electric vs nitro, it's truggy vs buggy 🤯

Personally I’ve found myself shying away from modern buggies as I think I’d find them deeply boring as I don’t race competitively, I’ve a fleet of 7 and the only buggy is basically a design from the early 80’s - modern buggies that I’ve seen so far are too planted, too predictable, I like a bit of random excitement in my machine. 

I’d never thought about the boredom of excellent handling before it was pointed out up there 👆

1 hour ago, nareik72 said:

Now I have another dilemma! Maybe it isn't electric vs nitro, it's truggy vs buggy 🤯

My favourite runner to date is a cheap-ass FTX Outlaw that handles like crap, even “tuned” it’s a total bag of nuts but it’s properly hilarious and the challenge of keeping it on all for wheels whilst racing my colleagues just keeps me coming back for more. 

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

Personally I’ve found myself shying away from modern buggies as I think I’d find them deeply boring as I don’t race competitively, I’ve a fleet of 7 and the only buggy is basically a design from the early 80’s - modern buggies that I’ve seen so far are too planted, too predictable, I like a bit of random excitement in my machine. 

I’d never thought about the boredom of excellent handling before it was pointed out up there 👆

exactly, they are practically on rails :lol: its too good.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nareik72 said:

The trophy truggy glides over rough surfaces and you can see the suspension working. It dives under braking and lifts a front wheel under hard acceleration and turning.

What truggy do you have?

I love my ultra 4 Outlaw for that very reason. 

Its just a stock hpi trophy truggy 4.6 i picked up 2nd hand. I used to have a hobbyking bsr berserker 6s truggy, it was huge and was too powerful for its own good, it practically ripped itself apart. This massively put me off truggies until I got the hpi. 

Perhaps I ought to look into something of higher quality like the new corally/arrma truggy options rather than the typhon.