• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wiring an RC car, I’m totally stuck

Carl H

Hi, I’m in real need of help. I’m not an expert as is probably very obvious but I need some advice to get me going. As a kid I did a lot of this with my dad but as time goes by I tried to get back into this as an adult with my son and I’m out of my depth now. I brought a Schumacher icon F1 and assembled the chassis etc... but I just can’t get it wired up. I’ve tried researching as much as I can but I am getting nowhere. I have replaced

the connectors so they all connect now but please tell me what I am doing wrong. Couple of issues:

1.) is this how you connect a 2s shorty lipo battery? The white but I use when charging but does it need connecting anywhere on the actual rc car? Also I have a 6 prong motor cable that connects to my esc but my brushless motor has no port for it. Is that right?

2.) when I try to sync my controller up the esc flashes purple, sometimes blue, sometime red. Once I got the controller to operate the servo but now even that’s stoped and the service is locked in place. The motor has never worked though.

3.) Basically I’m in a total mess now and spending hours with no plan or way out. Probably I was a bit stupid trying to do this one first but I’m in it now.

If anyone as any advice on how I can wire this up and sync my controller that would be great, like I said I’ve tried lots but i can’t find any step by steps that apply to what I have 

thanks 

Carl

A68DD4F9-FD79-41E7-86BE-4F72EE80BD16.jpeg

669ED2B9-5089-4A00-925B-B3DB06AD3592.jpeg

97FA3129-C1C4-423D-B8AA-6C58A6667B6F.jpeg

211C9D12-29C1-4F11-A502-4CC77785E5AC.jpeg

887749F1-E3ED-4FB3-B4AF-B31FDAF1C19D.jpeg

B1931FD4-E05B-493D-BB7A-908766065602.jpeg

The white balance plug doesn't need plugged into the car. Only when charging.

Make sure the servo is plugged into port number 1 on the receiver and the ESC in port number 2. Also make sure the plugs have the metal-exposed side facing up, if that makes sense?

The "6 port motor cable" you're referring to, is it a sensor cable? It could be you have a sensored ESC, but a sensorless motor. This should still work, but might be glitchy/stuttery. Do you have a picture of it?

That lead is a sensor lead.

connections to the motor/ESC all look fine, and as mentioned, the white battery plug is a balance lead and only used for charging.

You will need to go to the instructions for your ESC ....and there should be a section in there telling you how to seteup and calibrate the ESC. This basically tells it where zero is, full brake and full stop/reverse. It won;t work until you do that.
The process usually invovles making sure all the transmitter trims are set to zero, and then powering on the ESC ( sometimes with full throttle), then getting a beep/flash of LED...then setting neutral, then full reverse. Then you should get a beep/flash sequence that tells you it's worked. Switch off...and when you switch on, it will just work.

The ESC manual should also confirm whether or not it will work with a motor without sensors.

If you didn;t get a paper manual with the EXC, you should be able to locate one online. I can't help with that right now...as you haven;t said what make and model of ESC you have. If you can;t find the setup instructions...let us know that and we should be able to find them

Like Nitro says you probably need to bind the transmitter to receiver and then calibrate, Its not like the old days when you just made sure you had the correct matching crystal's 

Here is the manual for your radio gear...the first step is the binding process.

https://www.racing-cars.com/content/files/Instruction-Sheets/CR277_Radio_instruction.pdf

2.4Ghz radio gear has to be paired up with a receiver, and doesn;t just use a frequency as the old am/fm stuff did. On the plus side....you can't interference due to someone using the same crystal you are and confusing the situation as you drive...but on the flip side, uless your transmitter and receiver are paired, they won't talk at all.  That's what 'binding' does.

If that has worked, and you have setup the wires into your receiver as mentioned above and have steering and throttle onthe correct channels... your steering should work. Then you can set up the ESC.

• Like 1