• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie looking to get into crawling - opinion on these choices...

sp0oner73

46 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Glad you got there and can now enjoy the drive!.

A shame on that broken part... 

Lipo rules!!! And 20 mins on your Tamiya?????? You lucky bugger!!! I used to get around 12!! ( At best!).... 

12 minutes perhaps i'm remembering wrong but I do know the only thing I modded on my Boomerang was the best battery I could afford.. I now want a cheap basher with lipo and long run times for taking down the park!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 23:03, sp0oner73 said:

12 minutes perhaps i'm remembering wrong but I do know the only thing I modded on my Boomerang was the best battery I could afford.. I now want a cheap basher with lipo and long run times for taking down the park!

My mate had a Boomerang , I had the Hotshot. Fond memories of those 12 minute stints!!🤣

On 14/05/2021 at 09:39, stimpy said:

My mate had a Boomerang , I had the Hotshot. Fond memories of those 12 minute stints!!🤣

Yeah my mate had the Hotshot. They were great cars at the time I remember running them full pelt at speed bumps to get air 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sp0oner73 said:

Yeah my mate had the Hotshot. They were great cars at the time I remember running them full pelt at speed bumps to get air 😁

Hehe, yes similar memories for me 👍

(#best 8 mins of my life (at that age))🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2021 at 23:05, sp0oner73 said:

Finally got there and went out with both cars tonight. Thanks for the replies on this thread help me make my mind up as to what to get:

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.8a9c55fe74fb0d9f02df55875faf09cf.JPG

Had a brilliant time going through streams and forest tracks and then this happened

20210504_203909.thumb.jpg.86ad8bdd9b0fe0b8203c251abf06d2c0.jpg

20210504_204218.thumb.jpg.0ef9fe3ed9c23485f0f5138cfe95ce4b.jpg

It caught on brambles but shear metal? I don't think that's right and shouldn't have happened after only 45 minutes of light driving. What do you think? Do they break that easily?

Hi Spooner73, 

I enjoyed following the thread today and laughed when I saw your reveal of your purchases.  I bought the same combination for my son and I a year ago.  We’ve had fantastic fun on the trails and modifying / repairing our rigs.  I do advise checking over (everything) on these FTX RTR’s as consistency in assembly quality is sketchy at best.  Great rigs, very capable for the money and cheap to repair.  Lipo definitely worth it in run time and weight.  I’ve got one 5000mah NIMH and the weight has a significant negative  impact on performance at the trails.   Wish I’d never bought it knowing how great Lipo is.  Hope you and your son continue to have great fun.

7C02AD5E-6EF8-457F-9F6E-E6E052D31E85.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2021 at 19:02, ElectronShifter said:

Hi Spooner73, 

I enjoyed following the thread today and laughed when I saw your reveal of your purchases.  I bought the same combination for my son and I a year ago.  We’ve had fantastic fun on the trails and modifying / repairing our rigs.  I do advise checking over (everything) on these FTX RTR’s as consistency in assembly quality is sketchy at best.  Great rigs, very capable for the money and cheap to repair.  Lipo definitely worth it in run time and weight.  I’ve got one 5000mah NIMH and the weight has a significant negative  impact on performance at the trails.   Wish I’d never bought it knowing how great Lipo is.  Hope you and your son continue to have great fun.

7C02AD5E-6EF8-457F-9F6E-E6E052D31E85.jpeg

Excellent! We haven't used ours over Summer and waiting for the rain and the mud to return to get out and  get filthy on trails 😎 And yes the lipo batteries still amaze me now, was out walking the dog and my Son took his car and people were saying that will have to be carried home soon they couldn't believe when I said he gets 3 hours runt time out of the battery and the dog walk is no problem for it.

I'd love one of the small scale crawlers like an outback mini 3 but the tiny battery life stops me buying one.

On 27/03/2021 at 21:55, DaveDorson said:

I was in the same situation and ended up buying Chinese radio and a  Carisma Coyote kit.  To be honest it'd be cheaper to do a RTR though, but for me the build is a part of the experience and I don't have to compromise on what goes into it.

Same, two years on, my coyote has never broken down, and I use it regularly. It’s the only crawler I’ve ever had so have nothing to compare it with, but I think it’s pretty competent. Couldn’t recommend it enough.

Can’t advise on the FTX as have never driven any of them sorry.

Re batteries, Lipo aren’t that dangerous, not if you treat them right. Get a decent charger and you’ll be fine.

I use a 2S 4200Mah and can  get 3 hours plus from it.