• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

Shame to read you two struggling and even thinking of moving on some cars you've only just started with.  

It's not easy speed running despite what some think, ...definitely takes commitment, time, money and a lot of practice. 

I had a disappointing day myself as a used Castle XLX that I had bought (£145 used) and fitted in my Arrma Typhon has issues. It tested fine at first (set up on Castle link & powered up) so I left positive feedback for the seller on eBay but now after everything is fitted/soldered up and I went to run it there's a problem (runs very jerky/no full power/audible alert "motor start" issue).

Speaking to a friend of mine he thinks the first thing I should do is go over every solder joint again (could be a cold solder joint) so now I am going to have to do that all over again ~ just hope that fixes it as otherwise it could mean having to send the ESC off to Castle if they'd even accept it.  

Hopefully I can get this sorted before June as I have always ran my Typhon at ROSSA and was keen to see what I could achieve with the new set up. 

• Like 3

@GMballistic Hope you get the castle ESC working right, lets hope the seller on ebay did not sell you a duff one, keep us updated how it goes sorting it. As for me with the Hobao, i am starting to feel its a money pit and some what Jinxed, i thought it was ace but now i would rather run the Vantage, its fun, also i just dont have access to a spot long enough to get good speeds

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

@GMballistic Hope you get the castle ESC working right, lets hope the seller on ebay did not sell you a duff one, keep us updated how it goes sorting it. As for me with the Hobao, i am starting to feel its a money pit and some what Jinxed, i thought it was ace but now i would rather run the Vantage, its fun, also i just dont have access to a spot long enough to get good speeds

I think it might be a dud ESC but I am hoping it's just a soldering issue, ...thing is I am pretty confident in my soldering now which is making me worry it's the ESC. Still I've been advised by a good friend with a lot more time served experience than me so I am going to take his advice & then go from there. 

If it is a dud though I'll probably have to try to sell it as "spares or repair" on eBay to recoup some of the costs (assuming it even sells) and then get myself a new ESC.  ☹️ 

If you're not feeling the Hobao then maybe you should move it on, ...I mean I wouldn't sell it just because it's not going as fast as you'd hope as you can always make them faster but if you're not enjoying it then selling it on makes perfect sense. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

I think it might be a dud ESC but I am hoping it's just a soldering issue, ...thing is I am pretty confident in my soldering now which is making me worry it's the ESC. Still I've been advised by a good friend with a lot more time served experience than me so I am going to take his advice & then go from there. 

If it is a dud though I'll probably have to try to sell it as "spares or repair" on eBay to recoup some of the costs (assuming it even sells) and then get myself a new ESC.  ☹️ 

If you're not feeling the Hobao then maybe you should move it on, ...I mean I wouldn't sell it just because it's not going as fast as you'd hope as you can always make them faster but if you're not enjoying it then selling it on makes perfect sense. 

Good luck with it, you may get it working right, fingers crossed.

I had planned to get the Hobao TT transformer truggy 1/10th, so that may be the way forward if i decide to move the Hyper on, big decision to make

• Like 1

What 1 is the transformer truggy mate ?

We have a TT truggy but its a nitro 1/10 actually its a mini st with larger engine and wheels lol 

got a link to it not heard of that 1 

It seems to have gone a little quiet on the speed run section.

I have been mulling over the future of the 1/8 Hyper, i do feel i will be listing it in the near future, cant help think that a Buggy/Truggy can speed run on road tyres, but pop the of road wheels back on and get more use out of it, but i think the hyper 1/8 will be hard to sell at the price i would need to get back on it, but for now its grounded so it remains un damaged

Looks like it would go very fast 😁

Going to be pretty quite from me till rossa, still running just not worth posting testing as most have resulted slow speeds and crashes thus far.

Put a 2 pole motor in the fast dr10, sucks a 2s 120c 6000mha dry in about 6 min, didnt expect that, i know they are less efficent at startup but flat out a 2pole should be more efficent at max rpm.
IMG_20210425_175125.thumb.jpg.4e673da70e598aa2e45fb8c32acab65e.jpg

Anyone else running 2 poles? Are they ok for 4s or is the turn count too low. Motor has no specs to say what its rated for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redback said:

Looks like it would go very fast 😁

Going to be pretty quite from me till rossa, still running just not worth posting testing as most have resulted slow speeds and crashes thus far.

Put a 2 pole motor in the fast dr10, sucks a 2s 120c 6000mha dry in about 6 min, didnt expect that, i know they are less efficent at startup but flat out a 2pole should be more efficent at max rpm.
IMG_20210425_175125.thumb.jpg.4e673da70e598aa2e45fb8c32acab65e.jpg

Anyone else running 2 poles? Are they ok for 4s or is the turn count too low. Motor has no specs to say what its rated for.

Cant comment as i dont know a lot about car motors but if its chomping through the lipo fast suggests its maybe a fast motor.

Still not decided about the 1/8th yet, i may list it in the sales section later see if any interest

Decided................gonna keep the Hyper, it was spinning out when i came of throttle, turns out had drag brake set to high, cured that and thread locked the wheel nuts so should stay on now, also sorted the gyro on the Dumbo xf6G and its holding car dead straight tested out in street, now to decide if i keep the S7`s or choose a different tyre

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Decided................gonna keep the Hyper, it was spinning out when i came of throttle, turns out had drag brake set to high, cured that and thread locked the wheel nuts so should stay on now, also sorted the gyro on the Dumbo xf6G and its holding car dead straight tested out in street, now to decide if i keep the S7`s or choose a different tyre

Great to hear that. 
Personally I wouldn't run any drag brake at all.

Regarding the tyres personally I'd sell them on eBay or similar and use the cash back to get some S3's or softer (like I said in my PM I use S3 and have done for 2 years now successfully on my Typhon).

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Just blagged a new set of original Hyper GT wheels and tyres, gonna see about belting them inside as i found them very grippy

That's good if you liked using them. They will balloon at higher speeds so anything you can do to reduce that will help. 

I used a thick black tape before called "Scapa" tape to try to belt some 1/5th scale bike tyres which did help.
417663562_15HomemadebeltusingScapatape.thumb.jpg.e6b3a0f55127d7dff84bfe81c5202b36.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Cheers, how are you getting on with the GT?

Not to well, i love it but it does seem jinxed after getting run over on first day out, i am regretting buying it and now prefer to run the vantage, keep talking about selling it while its still mint

Just now, Jack Reacher said:

Not to well, i love it but it does seem jinxed after getting run over on first day out, i am regretting buying it and now prefer to run the vantage, keep talking about selling it while its still mint

What's up with it? From the last update it looked lush with its new paint job. 

first time out it got run over, a shame as i loved the green, but it just worked out a lot cheaper to buy the blue pre coloured shell, then next time out no grip kept spinning out and then a wheel came of so no figures, though my fault for not thread locking the wheel nuts

Ah that's unfortunate but hang in there...I had my wheel nuts undo themselves in the past, so now before every run I check they're all still torqued up. The S7s do need heat in them before they'll grab, it seems they're more so designed for racing/those with tyre heaters...

Hang in there, you'll get there 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Ah that's unfortunate but hang in there...I had my wheel nuts undo themselves in the past, so now before every run I check they're all still torqued up. The S7s do need heat in them before they'll grab, it seems they're more so designed for racing/those with tyre heaters...

Hang in there, you'll get there 🙂 

Managed to pick up a new set of Hobao GT wheels and tyres, they feel more grippy than the  S7`s  need to belt them and glue them, but still think i will rehome it, so might not run it again

Edited by Jack Reacher

Fair enough, if you're fallen out of love with it / feel it's jaded no point in wasting your effort if your hearts not in this model. 

Will you be dabbling with another 1/8 scale?