• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

18 hours ago, GMballistic said:

No doubt he is a great speed runner but not sure about him breaking any world records.
There are a few guys ahead of him (James McCoy, Peter Dirks) speed wise now but either way doing the kind of speeds they are now gaining even an extra mph or two can be very difficult as the forces involved on the RC's are crazy. 

Raz seems to have very good driving technique , good at keeping it straight at speed also he seems to be able to set a chassis up well....................just a case of more power! and he is at the Desert road now

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

What happened at the end of the run @Redback ? 
Just heard "big crash", ...did it flip or something else. 

Can't wait to see how you get on with that in August. 

Clipped some grass as it was a bit twitchy when getting up there, white hoons didnt grip well i did another warmup pass and had lots of sliding also, might be the road or the tires.... either way, clipped the grass car launched about a foot, spun 1080 and landed on its wheels the clang you hear!
Was so lucky there was no damage and it didnt flip over, I wont be running again till the event, i dont mind a bit of street shake downs but i stuggle to find the confidence to max the big rigs on small roads.
Thank you G, looking forward to seeing your Typhoon fly through the traps too, 1/8th buggies vs 1/10 cars imo the buggies a right handful.

• Like 2

We can check the buggies set up when you're there if you think you have any issues with it, ...MP really knows his Hobao's so he'll be the main man for helping you get that thing set up perfectly. :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey chaps,

What's the go to speed running wheels (12mm hex) hex I believe? Edit: general consensus is 1/10 wheels with a 1mm washer, so I guess I'm after recommendations for 1/10 speed running wheels. 

It's for a Losi mini 8.

Edited by Bert_w164

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hey chaps,

What's the go to speed running wheels (12mm hex) hex I believe? Edit: general consensus is 1/10 wheels with a 1mm washer, so I guess I'm after recommendations for 1/10 speed running wheels. 

It's for a Losi mini 8.

contact foams are usually best, i got a set but dont use them now

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hey chaps,

It's for a Losi mini 8.

I agree with Contact Foams. Cheap but effective. I might have a cheap set for sale, I bought the wrong size. Can't remember whether it was a pair or all 4 though

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 13:54, Bert_w164 said:

Hey chaps,

It's for a Losi mini 8.

I run 42 shore SP foams on my mini 8ight, been 107mph so far so more than up to the job 👍

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

I run 42 shore SP foams on my mini 8ight, been 107mph so far so more than up to the job 👍

Incredible 😳 would you be happy to share details of which electronics you're running? 

37 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Incredible 😳 would you be happy to share details of which electronics you're running? 

Sure, its running a mamba monster 2, 2700mah 65c 4s nanotech and converted to run a 1/10th scale 5700kv castle 2 pole motor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redback said:

Heres my ROSSA results, didn't manage to get 100 out the hyper 7 as i had hoped, lots of cutouts on the hobbywing setups.
So ended up putting in a castle xlx for 8s and got 83 should go faster than that tho, blew a drive shaft out the cup so did that with 3 wheel drive.
Limitless finally did 100 with the hobbywing setup, overall dissapointed in it, will try gearing down and see if that results in more speed.
Hyper 10 did a decent speed for 2s and stock gearing, went very easy on it, has way more to give will push it to 3s next time and get a full run from her, 60 for sure is in the bag.
Only one 3/4 pass as the Banzai took off like a plane on the 2nd full pull, its a 120mph car for sure just need to balance the airo.
I was most impressed with the DR10 looking at the logs motor was only 62% power output on the 3s run, could have pulled harder and gone faster, so 85 i feel is a realistic new goal.

Hyper 7
6s - 61, 76, 67 Mph
8s - 84 Mph New PB!

Limitless
8s - 92, 88, 83, 101 Mph New PB!

Hyper 10
2s - 45 Mph (1st benchmark speed.)

Banzai
3s - 70, 84 Mph
4s - 108 Mph New PB! *(fastest banzai in the uk), unknown (115+)

Dr10
2s - 63 Mph New PB!
3s - 76 Mph New PB!

The hobbywings really holding the 1/8+ scales back, Got to drop low voltage cut off to low or off, even at med it causes cutouts from voltage sag. I wouldnt waste a dime on a max 8 or max 6 system again if your wanting to speed run, go straight for a castle xlx or bigger, the power delivery is night and day. The hobbywing motors are great tho the 4274 took 8s like a dream and is only rated to 6s.
*Chris's Banzai did 108 also but on 6s, so technically im faster 😉

Well done mate :cheers:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Toying with selling some rigs and getting a new speed run car, maybe build something over coming winter, maybe it's time to let the Blackfoot go, sell the vantage and maverick, but if I do I would stick to 1/10

Whats wrong with the vantage, not fast enough? Send it over ill make it fast 😉

10 minutes ago, Redback said:

You had one and sold it because you didnt get along with it, why the change of heart? Or you just going to cruise it rather than speed run it?

I originally wanted 1/10th to start, or even 1/12, also found a road close by thats good for it, but nothing set in stone, but due may just not bother

23 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Wasnt it 1/8th scale tho and he said wants to keep to 1/10th 

The strada evercleare sent to 101 was Jacks i thought?

26 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I originally wanted 1/10th to start, or even 1/12, also found a road close by thats good for it, but nothing set in stone, but due may just not bother

the hobao wasnt right and honestly the smaller you go the better surface you need as they hop and skip loads. Best trying before you buy, maybe attend a speedrun event if your mates are going, if they have something you like try it out? Theres a free rc speedrun event at santa pod not sure if its closer to you than rossa or speed frenzy, dont know about BRCA licences for santa pod as usally you need insurace to run high speed machines.

• Like 1