• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

3 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ve been doing my first runs using my Garmin watch as the tracker, what other options are there and what makes them better?

depends on what you want to get in results and how much, you can get a speed flea gps for about £35 then all other units are more like £55 upwards

• Like 1

Just starting to have an opened ended musing in my brain and wanted to run it past you guys as folks that haves lot more experience and may already know a lot of the answers I think I need 🙂

It’s no big secret that I’m a massive Outlaw fan and also dig a bit of crawling.  Now I’m also very keen to build something that will go fast, and to see just how fast I can make it go as that’s another part of the hobby to easily get sucked into!

I love the whole U4/rock racer genre, but every kit seems to have major weaknesses along the way and I’ve watched AJ and others spend huge amounts on Ryfts and Lazernuts to get them reliable and fun - and the Outlaw platform itself is definitely limited as to how much power you can put through it before it perpetually grenades every time it’s run…

So inspired by the scratch builders of the forum and seeing that there’s an open wheel class in which buggies and bashers get run, I’m considering a ground up U4 caged style build that I could also put an aero body on for runs as desired, trying to use the pick of axles, transmission etc so that it’s built tough from the start without having to spend tonnes of extra money beefing up any of the kits that already start at several £100’s,  using a decent sensored motor so I can go slow as well as fast, maybe 4s to use the batteries I’m already invested in with the rest of my fleet. 

Trying to do too much in one project, or an interesting concept?

Thoughts?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Wow the speed run scene has died a death, i still have the Vantage set up for its final run as and when i get time (make time) should see 70+ then its done and getting sold

Are you completely hanging up your speed run spurs after that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Wow the speed run scene has died a death, i still have the Vantage set up for its final run as and when i get time (make time) should see 70+ then its done and getting sold

I've done when I set out to achieve, though I am getting tempted to see just how far I can push it 🤔 lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

I've done when I set out to achieve, though I am getting tempted to see just how far I can push it 🤔 lol

Same here, just set a higher goal, hit 102, 120 is the new goal.

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I dont think so, all the speed runners are very busy getting their cars ready for ROSSA next month.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

When and where?

Llanbedr. Gwynedd Wales - Aug 14 - 15 If your attending you need to let the ROSSA staff know and pay a deposit as you dont have facebook let me know and ill sort it with you.
@GMballistic & @pieman5 I know are getting their cars ready, looking forward to seeing Pie's 1/5th scale motorbikes do a pass, tiny things are rapid, think he got over 90mph with it.
Also the custom builds are mental, if the EDF is there thats just worth attending to watch do a pass or two 175mph!
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Is the SKYRC tracker £20 better than speed flea?   

If you were buying again, what would you buy?

I guess thats at me....now the V2 speed flea is out yes if i needed another i would not hesitate but then i also find the speed flea handy for flying 

6 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I guess thats at me....now the V2 speed flea is out yes if i needed another i would not hesitate but then i also find the speed flea handy for flying 

It wasn’t especially aimed at you - but it’s handy info as I have helicopters too

8 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

It wasn’t especially aimed at you - but it’s handy info as I have helicopters too

The speed flea in air mode shows climb angle, max altitude and speed for a flight, handy for a LOS plane with no OSD

the sky gns system either the bluetooth box or the gps unit itself is a good investment imo, not as cheap as speedflea but you can get nice graphs and tangible data from the skyrc gps logs so that would be my pick
They also do altitude and from that and speed you can get climb rates etc.

6 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

For the record, from a few more runs I reckon the front goes airborne around 45-47mph

Will discuss more in the outlaw thread if you like but sounds like you need to limit the front travel and lower it, along with limiting how much the back "digs in" causing the front to lift.

59 minutes ago, Redback said:

Another one for the diaries.
Speed Frenzy
Darley Moor Circuit. 800m Straight on smooth tarmac.

Ashbourne, DE6
2nd October.
Get it in your diaries!

Details as they are shared etc...

It’s a weekend I’m free - definitely interested in more info as I can’t get to ROSSA

• 2 weeks later...