• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

1 minute ago, Bert_w164 said:

Fair enough, if you're fallen out of love with it / feel it's jaded no point in wasting your effort if your hearts not in this model. 

Will you be dabbling with another 1/8 scale?

No, would have to be 1/10th mate

Hi people,

Wondered if anyone can help?

I've built a speed run car; a Tamiya TT01.  After many breakages/crashes through dodgy steering, i've now got it sitting pretty and it's very fast (100A ESC on 3s Lipo).  The issue is that the tyres keep exploding/ripping apart on the ground.

I usually lose one per run (particularly when driving in large circles). I've got decent Team Orion dish wheels, which are great, have foam inside and are glued to soft/medium slick tyres.

It's a pain having to keep ordering tyres and/or rims (if i can't separate the old ones with acetone).

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, please (apart from stop driving in circles!).

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Turnipheid said:

Hi people,

Wondered if anyone can help?

I've built a speed run car; a Tamiya TT01.  After many breakages/crashes through dodgy steering, i've now got it sitting pretty and it's very fast (100A ESC on 3s Lipo).  The issue is that the tyres keep exploding/ripping apart on the ground.

I usually lose one per run (particularly when driving in large circles). I've got decent Team Orion dish wheels, which are great, have foam inside and are glued to soft/medium slick tyres.

It's a pain having to keep ordering tyres and/or rims (if i can't separate the old ones with acetone).

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, please (apart from stop driving in circles!).

Cheers

Try running a set of contact foam glued and trued 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turnipheid said:

Cheers

I'd get some foams for it, ...a high shore hardness foam. 

Few types that I would use are GRP, Matrix and SP Racing. 

Doesn't say in the advert but being 1/10th scale these should be 12mm hex like the Tamiya: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303881140744?hash=item46c0ba3a08:g:fk0AAOSwuzFgJF75

• Like 3

Thanks guys, i'll try the suggestions out. I know vintage Tamiya's were never designed to go this speed, but after upgrading the steering and shocks, it seems to be doing well...apart from the tyres. I did flip it once when I hit a stick, but no damage done. New (old) Toyota GT body did well on my run today (the back was already cut out off it), although it got airborne after hitting a pebble. Engine was on the 3 second finger rule, but fan sorted it out after 30 mins running time.

Appreciate the suggestions. Can I also ask what grade of oil you guys run in the front and back shocks? Appreciate they are different cars, but would be good to get  a general idea.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

Thanks guys, i'll try the suggestions out. I know vintage Tamiya's were never designed to go this speed, but after upgrading the steering and shocks, it seems to be doing well...apart from the tyres. I did flip it once when I hit a stick, but no damage done. New (old) Toyota GT body did well on my run today (the back was already cut out off it), although it got airborne after hitting a pebble. Engine was on the 3 second finger rule, but fan sorted it out after 30 mins running time.

Appreciate the suggestions. Can I also ask what grade of oil you guys run in the front and back shocks? Appreciate they are different cars, but would be good to get  a general idea.

Cheers

Doesn't really matter what you use for speed runs as long as you're having fun and can get it to go faster than standard. 😁
I used to have a TT02 Type SR with the Nissan R390 GT body shell that I built for speed runs although ended up not using it much as I had a lot of other builds going on at the time so sold it on to concentrate on my other builds.

I have a few speed runners and set ups are obviously all different depending on vehicles, ...just to give you an idea though I used 1K CST Core silicone oil in my Tamiya oil filled shocks. :good:

Any pics of you Tamiya then? 

• Like 2

@Turnipheid great looking Tamiya and perfect body shell for speed runs.

Have you seen "Stew-Mac" on YouTube? 
Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/StewMac570/videos
Also he is on Facebook and has a great page called "The Little Tamiya That Could".
Link: https://www.facebook.com/The-little-Tamiya-that-could-327913464379625

I enjoy his videos from time to time as I'm big into speed runs and it's also great if you like your Tamiya's. 

• Like 2

Thanks, new/old shell (bargain for £10, but lots of holes in it),. Not too bothered as it's just for speed and nice it had the back cut out of it. Wheels also too small for the body, but do the job. I'm not sure how much higher I can go diameter wise on Tamiya 12mm Hexes'.

I reckon i'm running 50mph on it, but never got it up to full speed yet in a straight line due to lack of space.

Handles well (with shims fitted) and steering upgrades. Into function over form.

When I get a proper straight-line space, I'll attach my old Garmin watch to it to see what it can do., but struggling to find clear roads. Even tried an old airstrip, but was chased off.

Cheers

• Like 2

GMBallistic, cheers, yes I checked out some of Stewmac's vids, which gave me inspiration.

I really only got back into the hobby in lockdown and kinda got obssessed with just making the car go as fast as I can, within budget!!

I think in the right hands my car would be able to go way above what i'm doing just now, but i'm still learning.

It's been a blast learning about electronics, getting my first soldering iron and learning about that etc. I know the solders on my motor aren't the best, but they work, also my motor wires are too long, but I wanted to have the option to swap the motor out.

The new body made a hell of a difference in handling and the car runs smooth now. My gfriend even had a shot and didn't kill the car for the first time! LOL.  Just those tyres....

Cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turnipheid said:

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong though. I've got a 55t spur gear and a 25t pinion. Is that an ok ratio, or can I go faster?

Cheers

You can always go faster, not sure what the question is (what you may be doing wrong?) as seems like your rigs in decent shape. Should do over 50 with that setup easily imo. Love to see some running footage.

Edited by Redback

Jack Reacher,

I guess I just caught you in time! Thanks for your advice, it was very much appreciated. I'm sure you've also helped many other people out on the speed runs forum over the years. I also have a 'mutant' Mudblaster/Monster beetle, so may well see you on the off-road forums!

Take care

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turnipheid said:

Jack Reacher,

I guess I just caught you in time! Thanks for your advice, it was very much appreciated. I'm sure you've also helped many other people out on the speed runs forum over the years. I also have a 'mutant' Mudblaster/Monster beetle, so may well see you on the off-road forums!

Take care

I am still doing a bit of speed runs but concentrating on one car. I have listed the 2 i am selling and zero interest no surprise there

13 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I am still doing a bit of speed runs but concentrating on one car. I have listed the 2 i am selling and zero interest no surprise there

Get them on Facebook mate 👍 if you can be bothered with the inevitable silly comments 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tomr said:

Get them on Facebook mate 👍 if you can be bothered with the inevitable silly comments 

Yes silly comments like " i know you want £250 but will you take £90 for it mate" yes we all have had this 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Are you selling them on here? £250 is a bit out of my budget right now, plus I'm also looking to downsize. Got a Magic Pumpkin, Monster Beetle and a TT01 I'm trying to shift...mainly as the speed run car is starting to cost alot. Have you listed yours on Ebay? Seems like a sellers market just now if you've got a good set-up. Apparently the production flow for new cars was banjaxed by Covid, so you may well still be able to catch the tail-end of it?

Cheers