• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

4s basher buggies?

Hey,

well, after seeing my wifes new Typhon 3s today, the bug kinda bit me. Had a bit of a look around, there doesn't appear to be much in terms of 1/8th 4s buggies around, other than the Radix4? 

What kind of reasonably priced kits are decent - i know that the EB48.3 2.0 exists, but i don't intend to spend £800 on a 4s basher buggy that i'd like to run alongside my other stuff. I was considering a Typhon 6s, but i feel like it might not be "the thing" on 4s for me, i'd always ache to run 6s, which.. I dunno, i've got a taste for decent 4s setups at the moment and would like to stick with it for now. 

I got no idea, and "reasonably priced" kits seem to be far apart, in fact i might've only found one in the Hyper VS which appears to have some reliability issues?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Why not just get a 3s Typhon?

To be honest I am in a very similar position, I ran my Senton today with the body off for easy access when testing this dodgy ESC for the seller and I really really fancy a Typhon 3s now!

image.thumb.png.2116e80865dfcf79f246a6be797545ba.png

Because as i said, we got one today - and i fancy a little more oomph, but not 6s kinda oomph 😉

7 minutes ago, Twotone said:

I’ve got a hyper vs and love it, it’s only had a few packs run through it so far but the mrs ran it almost full throttle into a brick wall and it came away unscathed. It’s great value for money.

Yeah, might need to look into that, pricewise it's certainly attractive. 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

image.thumb.png.2116e80865dfcf79f246a6be797545ba.png

Because as i said, we got one today - and i fancy a little more oomph, but not 6s kinda oomph 😉

You said your wife got one, so I figured why not have one yourself, if you really want to, plonk a 4s system in it?

Hyper VS seems the obvious and only option to me if you don't want to do that though.

Just now, Oh How Original said:

You said your wife got one, so I figured why not have one yourself, if you really want to, plonk a 4s system in it?

Hyper VS seems the obvious and only option to me if you don't want to do that though.

Well yeah, but if i say wife, i mean "i wanted one, and she got it, so i kinda have one now". 😄

I guess i could chuck a 4s system at it, but then i paid £330 (well i paid £300) for a full plastic roller, which there's bound to be better deals around. Price isn't even that much an issue, i'm just interested really in what could even be used as a basher buggy. A MP9e is probably not a great choice regardless of price.

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well yeah, but if i say wife, i mean "i wanted one, and she got it, so i kinda have one now". 😄

I guess i could chuck a 4s system at it, but then i paid £330 (well i paid £300) for a full plastic roller, which there's bound to be better deals around. Price isn't even that much an issue, i'm just interested really in what could even be used as a basher buggy. A MP9e is probably not a great choice regardless of price.

Perhaps try to find a Typhon 6s roller and put 4s elecs in? Although I think the 3s would be a better option for that personally.

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Perhaps try to find a Typhon 6s roller and put 4s elecs in? Although I think the 3s would be a better option for that personally.

It's weird, i'm not gonna lie - i'd really like something in between. Not as much plastic as in the 3s, but not as much metal as in the 6s. 

I do love how light the 3s is, but driveshafts etc need to be metal for me to be comfy. I'll have a look at the Hyper VSe kit, at £200 you can't actually go that wrong, it won't end that much more expensive than a 3s RTR. Considering i still have another RC en route that's bound to arrive probably next week (coincidentally another 3s buggy), so i'll wait until that happened and then consider the options. 

I'm just trying to figure out the options at the moment, because honestly apart from the Hyper 7 and Typhons (and Radix/Phyton or whatever, but i'm done with Corally), i wouldn't know what a decent basher buggy is even if it bit me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

It's weird, i'm not gonna lie - i'd really like something in between. Not as much plastic as in the 3s, but not as much metal as in the 6s. 

I do love how light the 3s is, but driveshafts etc need to be metal for me to be comfy. I'll have a look at the Hyper VSe kit, at £200 you can't actually go that wrong, it won't end that much more expensive than a 3s RTR. Considering i still have another RC en route that's bound to arrive probably next week (coincidentally another 3s buggy), so i'll wait until that happened and then consider the options. 

I'm just trying to figure out the options at the moment, because honestly apart from the Hyper 7 and Typhons (and Radix/Phyton or whatever, but i'm done with Corally), i wouldn't know what a decent basher buggy is even if it bit me.

I know what you mean about plastic driveshafts, but Maxx? The 3s Typhon will be fine on 4s, no doubt in my mind 😄 

Be good to know your thoughts on the VS if you do go that route, since I appear to be in the market now lol.

Just now, Oh How Original said:

I know what you mean about plastic driveshafts, but Maxx? The 3s Typhon will be fine on 4s, no doubt in my mind 😄 

Be good to know your thoughts on the VS if you do go that route, since I appear to be in the market now lol.

I've said before that i don't actually like them on the Maxx either - but there's a key difference, and that's that i have reason to believe that Arrma is using an inferior composite ever since they got acquired by HH, whereas Traxxas plastics are genuinely pretty stout. 

It's not just the driveshafts either, it's the shocks too - i do want metal shocks, rather than plastic which are a known issue anyway (and i'm not entirely certain if they're fixed for good on the v3 either). 

The VS at the moment seems very likely (unless i decide to go used), though it is a little hard to resist the urge to look at the Radix4. 

1 minute ago, Guns said:

The RTR Hyper VSE sounds perfect? 4s only and well priced

It does, kinda, actually. Though, can't argue with a £180 new roller either. 

Do you by chance know how spare availability is? Would be my first HoBao. 

28 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I've said before that i don't actually like them on the Maxx either - but there's a key difference, and that's that i have reason to believe that Arrma is using an inferior composite ever since they got acquired by HH, whereas Traxxas plastics are genuinely pretty stout. 

It's not just the driveshafts either, it's the shocks too - i do want metal shocks, rather than plastic which are a known issue anyway (and i'm not entirely certain if they're fixed for good on the v3 either). 

The VS at the moment seems very likely (unless i decide to go used), though it is a little hard to resist the urge to look at the Radix4. 

Nothing wrong with the driveshafts at all, I have broken one in about three years, I maybe only using mine on 3s but I drive harder than you and it's got a higher kv motor so probably as fast as something on 4s.

I did a speed test yesterday, on half throttle I was doing 46mph, I reckon it'll easily do 60 if the tyres would last and it didn't parachute.

I blew a tyre out lol.

spacer.png

I'm currently running a Team Associated RC8B3.1E as my main basher. Specs and prices as follows:

RC8B3.1E (£350 from DMS racing clearance)

Max8 combo (£160)

SRT servo (£70)

Wheels tyres (£50 for a set of bandlands)

Tworks and DE racing bumpers/skid plates (£25 only "required" upgrade)

Futaba Tx/Rx

Hobbyking 4S batteries

Body paint

Excluding the tx/rx and batteries I think for ~£550 I've got a much better buggy than an Arrma typhon, Hyper VS or Corally python etc. Obviously racing buggies aren't £350 normally but if you picked up something secondhand in decent condition I think you'd be pleased. I haven't owned those other buggies but I honestly think most racing kits are a joy to own and most basher RTRs feel lacking afterwards.

Keep an eye out facebook groups etc for a roller from Associated, Xray, Mugen, Agama, Kyosho etc, there are deals to be had if you aren't fussy on brand.

Edited by lorrylemming
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Nothing wrong with the driveshafts at all, I have broken one in about three years, I maybe only using mine on 3s but I drive harder than you and it's got a higher kv motor so probably as fast as something on 4s.

I did a speed test yesterday, on half throttle I was doing 46mph, I reckon it'll easily do 60 if the tyres would last and it didn't parachute.

I blew a tyre out lol.

I guess, it's just a "comfy" thing. I'm not even that opposed to be honest, maybe i will pick up a used Typhon 3s and chuck something 2660ish kv at it. Or stick with the VS kit, £180 at mibi is really hard to argue with, or £330 for the RTR and just be done. 

3 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

I'm currently running a Team Associated RC8B3.1E as my main basher. Specs and prices as follows:

RC8B3.1E (£350 from DMS racing clearance)

Max8 combo (£160)

SRT servo (£70)

Wheels tyres (£50 for a set of bandlands)

Tworks and DE racing bumpers/skid plates (£25 only "required" upgrade)

Futaba Tx/Rx

Hobbyking 4S batteries

Body paint

Excluding the tx/rx and batteries I think for ~£550 I've got a much better buggy than an Arrma typhon, Hyper VS or Corally python etc. Obviously racing buggies aren't £350 normally but if you picked up something secondhand in decent condition I think you'd be pleased. I haven't owned those other buggies but I honestly think most racing kits are a joy to own and most basher RTRs feel lacking afterwards.

Keep an eye out facebook groups etc for a roller from Associated, Xray, Mugen, Agama, Kyosho etc, there are deals to be had if you aren't fussy on brand.

xrgna7p8amk61.webp 83.69 kB · 1 download

I couldn't care less about brands as long as the rig does what i want it to, so that's not an issue. That said: the kit is £445 now, and that's way more than i'd want to spend. It probably is better than the VS, of course - but after all said and done it's like 2-3 times the price, too. 

I certainly will keep an eye out for second hand stuff of course, i'm not necessarily opposed to racing kits - it's just the price that you pay for things that aren't that important for a basher buggy that makes me think it's a waste to go for one, if that makes sense. I don't need razorblade kind of handling on a basher, tuneable to the last iota of my preference - i'm just mashing throttle and steering, that's about it.

That said.. nice stuff is certainly nice, and it wouldn't be the first time i've paid way too much for what i actually needed.. lol.

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I certainly will keep an eye out for second hand stuff of course, i'm not necessarily opposed to racing kits - it's just the price that you pay for things that aren't that important for a basher buggy that makes me think it's a waste to go for one, if that makes sense. I don't need razorblade kind of handling on a basher, tuneable to the last iota of my preference - i'm just mashing throttle and steering, that's about it.

That said.. nice stuff is certainly nice, and it wouldn't be the first time i've paid way too much for what i actually needed.. lol.

If you look at the upgrades people do to Arrma typhons and Hobaos you can see where the extra money goes in the race kits. Once you add a 7075 chassis and shock towers to them you getting closer to the cost of the race kits, those parts are just as useful to a basher as a racer and come standard on the race brands. I completely get the whole cost comparison because you are looking at double a typhon 3S but for me its my main bashing car so its worth it. If you have a whole fleet to manage then maybe you won't put enough miles on the buggy to justify the extra cash.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

If you look at the upgrades people do to Arrma typhons and Hobaos you can see where the extra money goes in the race kits. Once you add a 7075 chassis and shock towers to them you getting closer to the cost of the race kits, those parts are just as useful to a basher as a racer and come standard on the race brands. I completely get the whole cost comparison because you are looking at double a typhon 3S but for me its my main bashing car so its worth it. If you have a whole fleet to manage then maybe you won't put enough miles on the buggy to justify the extra cash.

Yeah, nail and head and stuff - got my Maxx and X-Maxx as the main RCs, got a stupendously overpowered Kraton EXB - and i've got a Tenacity DB Pro on the way, so whatever i'm getting will be the RC that i run after whatever i'm taking out, not a main basher.

If it was my main basher, i'd probably look at something EB48 2.0 etc as well, but as it is, it doesn't make much sense for me. Not that it generally would stop me, but i want to at the very least try to be sensible this time around lol.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, collective itch said:

I’ve got the VS, admittedly mine is the Pro version so has some upgrades out the box, but I’ve launched this thing and all I’ve broke is a wheel and a rear camber link. Great buggy, especially for what it costs imo

What's the difference between lets say the VSe Roller (the 80% assembled one) and the Pro?

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I am really hovering over the Typhon 3s buy button now 🙄

I've never seen a Senton 3s so i can't comment on the difference, nor can i comment on the reliability etc since we only got it today - but it does drive nice. We only took it on a cricket field, so no huge bashing, but it was fun honestly. It's a good RC.

edit: yeah that's where we ordered/what we paid. It's pretty cracking value imho. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Just now, m4inbrain said:

I've never seen a Senton 3s so i can't comment on the difference, nor can i comment on the reliability etc since we only got it today - but it does drive nice. We only took it on a cricket field, so no huge bashing, but it was fun honestly. It's a good RC.

Well I went to something of a new spot today, we used to bash the Bajas there, it's really more speed oriented, no big jumps or anything, just grass, but it's kept short thanks to the horses and sheep lol.

It would be ideal for a buggy I think, when you can really open the taps without getting the parachute effect.

That said, someones offered me a 4s Kraton for £250, hmmm.

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Well I went to something of a new spot today, we used to bash the Bajas there, it's really more speed oriented, no big jumps or anything, just grass, but it's kept short thanks to the horses and sheep lol.

It would be ideal for a buggy I think, when you can really open the taps without getting the parachute effect.

That said, someones offered me a 4s Kraton for £250, hmmm.

Good price to be honest. If it were an Outcast i'd be tempted too. 

With the EXB, i kinda have a Kraton, so getting a smaller one.. I dunno. That's just me though.