• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hybrid crawler project GMade/Bully2

Paulnb57

GMade R1 chassis cage 

Bully 2 MOA Axles

Axial Links

Hobbywing dual ESC’s

Still very much work in progress....front links are too short, the motor hits the front of the cage......which of course means the front shock will then be too short! But thats half the fun, making it all work...this is not intended as a pro crawler, just a fun project, to run trails rocks, whatever.....

ESC’s will go back to back on the rear battery tray, battery will go onto the skid, rx probably under the yet to be made bonnet panel....might even get to put basic interior and driver in it!...

Anyone want a Bully 2 chassis assembled but unused?!.....

26AD2270-E09F-4B97-A7FC-A792B2E1EFEB.jpeg

A4FD2237-93DE-4498-B0AF-48CEBB66336B.jpeg

0A1E481B-6409-49BD-8F71-3BBA146990B8.jpeg

Edited by Paulnb57
  • Like 2

• Paulnb57 changed the title to Hybrid crawler project GMade/Bully2

A little more progress, the front motor was fouling on the bottom corners of the chassis on compression, I briefly considered  chopping the chassis, but instead sourced longer links, same as the rear, 107mm at the bottom  and  80mm at the top, (I have been donated a pair of 107mm higher clearance links, for the rear but have yet to go and pick them up.....) along with a combination of long and short ends got the motors pretty level.....one of the body side panels cracked at the crease, so Ill have to remake them, probably a bit thicker, Im  considering extending them right up to the front of the chassis too, just to be a bit different.....Im also considering putting a proper body on it too, who knows?!

The skid has captive nuts and when I was faffing with link lengths one of the screws had locked solid into a nut,  no idea why,  I had to dremel through the screw head, and ended up having to cut the skid to get the nut out, deep joy! So now there is a Delrin skid plate in the mail....

ESC’s are in, front double taped under the “bonnet” (hood) the rear double under the rear battery tray .....keeps the wiring tidy.....not decided where the rx will go yet, but Im hoping to keep the “cab”  clear so I can put a basic  interior and driver in there....its a bit long!...

Ive messed with rod ends since the photos were taken and the front motor is now pretty level...

Stay tuned for more Rock n Roll!

6154B0ED-7DBD-4007-BD6A-553BFBDAB199.jpeg

E4BE1568-7BC2-4AC9-AC05-7B17C9083C9E.jpeg

Edited by Paulnb57
  • Like 2

Postie just dropped the delrin skid plate through the letterbox, so Ive fitted it....inexpected bonus, it moves the lower links from the edge of the chassis, onboard so I get loads more steering lock = winner!

Before ( the plate is upside down for ease of access to the captive nuts if necessary, see previous post!)

B422BABB-229C-457C-95A6-991AC9831EDC.jpeg

After......result!

8B16231E-B9FE-4322-935B-B5B0CFB1EE34.jpeg

Edited by Paulnb57
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, stimpy said:

I haven't looked at the front bully axle in too much detail yet - RuffRyder may know - but it is likely one can get more steering with a bit of trimming ( And universals)...

Steering is now limited by the links and  shocks as the wheels foul on them on full lock, not sure whether to live with it or source wheel spacers and put extra strain on bearings/ kingpins....

1 hour ago, Paulnb57 said:

Steering is now limited by the links and  shocks as the wheels foul on them on full lock, not sure whether to live with it or source wheel spacers and put extra strain on bearings/ kingpins....

I guess that depends upon how little steering you have. But as you are running MOA you can always Dig yourself out of or into trouble!! So as long as you have reasonable steering you'd be fine for now... Beyond that then yes you'd have to put a wider hub on ( Better than wheel spacers if workable) . 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress, I bought another chassis cage ( they are dirt cheap) and painted it, then swapped everything over, stripped the axles, replaced and greased all the bearings, rebuilt with loctite.

Its all wired now, the wiring needs a bit of tidying, plugged a battery in and each ESC bleeped, but I still have to calibrate them....Im not happy with the body panels I made, so Ill faff around some more, or possibly pop a Kamtec Beetle body on it.....need to source suitable sized Lipo to fit and its pretty much done.

With the widest wheel hubs fitted the tyres dont rub on the links

Less waffle...photos!

504C9EB2-D35B-4055-8215-BAA56E14119A.jpeg

C93F208E-56E4-4222-84BA-FB466699AF64.jpeg

9263EF6E-307A-44EF-BBEC-852207831D89.jpeg

• Like 2