• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which rc to buy next?

iForest

So I have a Typhon 3s, and use of my sons Granite 3s, and fixing up a TT02s. 

I love the Typhon and glad I bought it, it seems so versatile, happy on road or off road and it can be made more on road which I like. I’m not big on the Granite, not a fan of having to control the wheelies.

On the one hand I would love an infraction, or felony, but I really don’t have a lot of road space near me where I could use it to it’s full potential. Maybe on Sundays during lockdown but when things get a bit more ‘normalish’ it’s less likely.

I would like something that is a bit rapid, electric, something that doesn’t wheelie. 

I would like a range of options so I don’t want to limit it too much, my Birthday is in a few weeks so it’s entirely justified!

Please make a suggestion? Thanks

As Jack said, if you like the Typhon 3s, why not turn it up to eleven with the Typhon 6s. Or a Corally Radix. 

If "not wheelie-ing" is a criteria, you're pretty much limited to buggies and on road cars - truggies, trucks etc pp all do wheelie. 

• Like 2

There is a fair bit out there thats not "Infraction price" but what you need to do is work out how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend, going fast is not cheap, if your happy with say, 60-70 MPH thats easy, once you hit the ton it gets expensive to buy and maintain 

• Like 2

I would say if you want an Infraction or Felony go for it, yes they're fast but my Infraction spends most of its time going sideways which I find is a lot more fun in a confined space than going ridiculously fast in straight line. Though you will get through tires at an alarming rate 😂 The Felony is a little more planted but will quite happily spend a majority of of its time sideways, though the rear tires on the Felony are pretty expensive and because it runs bigger and wider tires the front and rear gearboxes have different ratios so it's harder to find after market tires that will fit unlike the Infraction which you will be able to fit any 1/8th scale on road wheels on. 

Edited by supersavage
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 10:45, Guns said:

Whats your budget? 

Probably around £350, could be more but I think I might have found some speakers (hifi) to buy too so having to balance it all out.

Edited by iForest

18 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

There is a fair bit out there thats not "Infraction price" but what you need to do is work out how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend, going fast is not cheap, if your happy with say, 60-70 MPH thats easy, once you hit the ton it gets expensive to buy and maintain 

60-70 would be good enough for me

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

60-70 on a 350 budget certainly isnt easy?

1 hour ago, Guns said:

60-70 on a 350 budget certainly isnt easy?

Good point. My budget has changed though so I guess I may have to compromise.

The Typhon 6s is an idea but I would feel like I already have a Typhon, despite the speed difference.

I will look into the

Hobbao and HPI - are they well made - fairly robust - easily accessible parts?

What do people think of the Losi Tenacity models? They look a bit different not sure of their robustness?

I think I will fix the TT02S and then sell it to go towards this next purchase too. 

I have looked at the Hobao GT and the HPi RS4's, nice choices on body shells. Which do you think would cost less to go faster? I'm not sure they're fast out of the box.

I'm still interested in other options too...

Edited by iForest

3 hours ago, Guns said:

Id personally avoid HPI, I love their models, and have owned them since the 90s, but their companies financial state is so fragile Id be scared to buy anything of theirs :(

Hobao GT and a decent 1/8th combo would be my choice for what you want. 

What would be a good combination to get 50+ mph out of it?

I hear what you're saying about the HPI, although I do like the bodies they offer over just the one for the Hobao.

Another option would be a maverick strada TC, but here is the rub....could get the £125 brushed version yank the motor and esc out and fit a nice size brushless combo, if you got it right i would say maybe 60+ from it, however it may not handle well. Are you wanting a road type car like Touring car

• Like 1

That's bold. 

For something rapid, i'd go with quality stuff rather than making cheapies fly. 

Maybe wait a bit for the new Radix 4s, looks like a nice piece of kit and should get up there in speed.

• Like 2

Some helpful responses which I appreciate.

After looking at some videos of the Hobao, I think I would have to throw a fair bit of money at it to get it moving.

Watching some HPI videos of the RS4 Sport 3, they look a bit more engaging, and definitely cheaper and easier to make it go faster out the box.

Watching these videos makes me think what a great car the Typhon 3s is. It's  faster than the Hobao for sure. The Typhon moves well, I can do some some speed bump jumps with it on-road and obviously take it off road. Yes it does make me think the Typhon 6s is a good choice.

That's got me thinking, is it possible to upgrade the 3s closer to  the 6S territory without changing the battery? I'm using Gensace 6500mah 100C battery.  

I don't think I would want two Typhon body shells, I want my next car to look different.

I suppose if I sell the 3s and I could get around £320 with the Gensace battery  (I only bought them 3 1/2 weeks ago), I would simply buy the 6s (or worst case or something like it).

The Radix 4s does look interesting too, not sure if I have been spoiled with the Arrma Typhon.

Edited by iForest
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Please comment if you have a moment.

I very nearly pulled the trigger, I mean I was right there, on an infraction yesterday but just a bit of hesitation.  I think it’s the fact that I want the car to be more versatile.

I have looked at the Hobao electric stuff like the Hyper SS and the GTB and VTE (not sure on the difference of those two models).

I also like the look of what I call the racing buggies such as

Schumacher Cougar 

Team Associated RC10xx

Kyosho MP9e

Can anyone comment on any of these choices? I want to get a bit of pace out them but also some bashing.

Thanks

I think you'll find an Infraction more capable than it appears, yes it wont like being "sent" but it I think you'll be surprised at what it can do and it is more than just an out and out speed demon. Though however after reading through this thread a Typhon 6s would be a good choice.  I don't think the Cougar will like being bashed, nor the the associated though will probably handle more than the cougar and I believe there both 2wd so will have more of limitation on where you can use them. The Kyosho might not be a bad option though spares might be a it more expensive than say the Typhon (someone with more knowledge of the Kyosho might know more on that front.) 

It might also be worth waiting as I think there could be some new interesting RCs released later in the year 👍

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 20:16, m4inbrain said:

That's bold. 

For something rapid, i'd go with quality stuff rather than making cheapies fly. 

This.

Although I gaurentee most people have no idea how fast or difficult it is to get 50mph in the real world out of an R/C car and just chase a victicious number.

Just buy the best you can for your budget. A Touring car with a 3S Brushless set up will be mtnal quick regardless of the actual MPH. Very boring and 1 dimentional in my opinion but if thats what you want?

I get the Appeal of the Arrma Speed Range (Infraction/Felony etc). But I think id be very bored once the initial buzz wore off.

Id sort your budget out, and get a 1/8th Truggy, it does everything, can be lowered/road tyres to be fast as hell, and has the ability to be bashed when you get bored of going fast in a straight line.

Edited by Guns
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Guns said:

This.

Although I gaurentee most people have no idea how fast or difficult it is to get 50mph in the real world out of an R/C car and just chase a victicious number.

Just buy the best you can for your budget. A Touring car with a 3S Brushless set up will be mtnal quick regardless of the actual MPH. Very boring and 1 dimentional in my opinion but if thats what you want?

I get the Appeal of the Arrma Speed Range (Infraction/Felony etc). But I think id be very bored once the initial buzz wore off.

Id sort your budget out, and get a 1/8th Truggy, it does everything, can be lowered/road tyres to be fast as hell, and has the ability to be bashed when you get bored of going fast in a straight line.

Mulling all this thread over, i am with the above, with this to add, the OP has a Typhon 3s, another option could well be keep the typhon (very good car) but put a better motor and esc in it 120amp and run it on 4s lipo, get some road tyres and a different shell, on 4s this will easy go past 60mph

• Like 1

So my latest thoughts :

When it comes to buying anything I do prefer British options first so I think for what I'm looking for I don't have any options there but if I am mistaken please let me know.

As I previously mentioned, I do prefer the look of the racing buggies more than the bashing style, having looked further into the buggies that I mentioned previously I have added one, so now I think I'm torn between:

XRay XB8e

xrayxb8e.jpg.06b0d5814c09857240068de97cb5f126.jpg

and the

Typhon 6s

955758528_Typhon6s.jpg.4ff7ea297224ff38615ebefb16df06c3.jpg

I did like Kev Talbot's review of the Kraton that took a reasonably hard bashing, which did make me feel a pull towards that too...but I really do not like the 'flat' look of the Truggies (or the Notorious body shell either.)

In reality I can't help but think I'm going to need a few rc cars!!!

• Haha 1

I have a Nirtro XB8 and I'll be honest if you don't plan on racing the XB8e I think it will be wasted bashing plus Xray will update their cars constantly so spares might become harder to get faster than something like an Arrma. The Xray will be far superior in quality but you will literally pay for it.

• Like 1