• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

8 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

are you going to work the winch of a keyfob or of a spare channel on the receiver ?

if you want to run it of a spare radio channel youl need something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192629728655

oops the above links for my light strip on off lol its this youl need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N75NT5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I had your winch ESC bookmarked already, I like the idea of running off the battery direct for the winch (or lightbar), but for a few quid I took a punt on one of these that run from the receiver to try:

https://www.injora.com/products/winch-ch3-control-line-panel-for-1-10-rc-crawler

When I get the winch I will multimeter it to see how much current it draws and decide if I want to use it or add more wiring for battery powered ESC option. I got 6channel radio on sale so not going the "garage door remote" route. Does the ESC you used give you speed control on the winch as well instead of just back/forward?

Not found a decent lighting controller yet, not sure I want indicators but I like the idea of stop/reverse lights. Job for later, for now will just connect the headlights/rear lights to the ESC with supplied wiring as a starting point.

same idea :good:

the leds run of the receiver and they plug into the battery port on it 

but theres also this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CC24VZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 minutes ago, whitecitadel said:

Thanks, I had your winch ESC bookmarked already, I like the idea of running off the battery direct for the winch (or lightbar), but for a few quid I took a punt on one of these that run from the receiver to try:

https://www.injora.com/products/winch-ch3-control-line-panel-for-1-10-rc-crawler

When I get the winch I will multimeter it to see how much current it draws and decide if I want to use it or add more wiring for battery powered ESC option. I got 6channel radio on sale so not going the "garage door remote" route. Does the ESC you used give you speed control on the winch as well instead of just back/forward?

Not found a decent lighting controller yet, not sure I want indicators but I like the idea of stop/reverse lights. Job for later, for now will just connect the headlights/rear lights to the ESC with supplied wiring as a starting point.

No its just a 3 position switch so out off in that im using 

it might if the control was reostated tho 

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Looks like i am joining the DC1 owners club as there WAS a brand new grey RTR on ebay for a way to tempting price, it should be here wednesday

welcome to the club, prepare to fiddle with the shocks, the stock ones are pretty tight so a wee bit filing on a plastic part inside slackens em off quite a bit cant remember exactly what part and im using the 2 stage springs now which are an improvement over the stock ones 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/08/2021 at 21:03, whitecitadel said:

I am parking the lights for now as I am losing track of what I ordered for which bit ... a bit.. will sort the lights later in detail, suspect I will end up with a lot of wires so will need to work it out on paper then cut the looms down and solder it to be neat🙂

hehe welcome to the club, the dc1 is deffo the most complex model i have built but i love it and some people take a dog for a walk but dad and i just take our dc1's for a walk, even had a dog walker say wow those are strange looking dogs lol

theres something kool about the chilled out nature of trail trucks and they are an awesome break from the usual fast stuff, we need pics of it when it is finished 🙂

• Like 2

Welcome to the DC1 club Jack and i really hope you like it mate

As Yrkoon said we really like ours  and a lot of other parts fit em as well so upgrades are easy if you want/need em

So welcome aboard mate :good:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Welcome to the DC1 club Jack and i really hope you like it mate

As Yrkoon said we really like ours  and a lot of other parts fit em as well so upgrades are easy if you want/need em

So welcome aboard mate :good:

Cheers storm, i dropped lucky at there was a new DC1 RTR on ebay for £260 shipped, it seems to fit the bill for what i am after, so was rude not to, should be a nice addition for my FB group and YT traildrivers channel

• Like 2

Assembled the axles tonight, once the diff covers are on the diff feels very “stiff and binding” more than I am happy with. Took it apart again and checked correctly assembled but still the same once re-assembled.

Looking through the axle the centre of the crown is dead centre of axle so all looks correct - anyone else have this and did the pinion/crown “bed in” to be smoother with running?

On 11/03/2021 at 21:55, MrPeaski said:

On the same assembly once I fitted the covers, both diffs were quite notchy, so I pulled them apart and flipped the bearing carriers 180 degrees, which improved things, but not enough.

I ended up cutting some slivers of paper! (12mm x 4mm) to put in before the bearing carriers to shim them up. This worked and they are smooth now.

@MrPeaski

sounds like the same thing I am seeing, so you put shim under bearing carrier to space crown out from the pinion (move diff outward in axle)?

I also took it apart and 180 the carrier which helped but not enough.

Strange thing is the diff looks central when viewed down the axle.

@whitecitadel

Yes, I put a single thickness paper shim cut from a piece of 80gsm plain white printer paper, under the bearing carriers.

It has basically spaced the gear wheels apart by 0.1mm and eliminated the slight binding mine had.

It may over time, bed in and not need it, but I haven't had any problems with it and they're still in now.

It could be just moulding tolerances are a little tight in either the carriers or diff case

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 2

@Jack Reacher Looking good👍

If you read through this thread, there are a couple of options mentioned for alternative shocks.

I went a different route (previously posted) and fitted some G-Made Aeration shocks.

They work fantastic as a trip to the beach a couple of weeks ago tested. Over wet sand ripples the body stayed level and the wheels tracked the bumps so much better than the stock items.

Only thing is they are a hassle to fit as in all fairness they are a little too big diameter wise.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

im in the DC1 club now, my RTR bargain has arrived, its new and very nice, looks a great rig just needs some mods to make it a good crawler, already done steering end points to stop CVD pins sheering, waiting on wheel weights so i can fit weighted metal beadlocks with swamper tyres then need to look at the poor shocks

DC1 5.JPG

DC1 4.JPG

DC1 2.JPG

Nice, now go get it dirty! Haha

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, whitecitadel said:

Not much love for the shocks!

Not assembled mine yet, do the dual rate springs help? Might file down the piston like others did when assembling.

I wont try to improve the stock shocks, will find some 100mm replacements, i have a set of budget 90mm ones on my SCX10 that are availavle in 100mm, they are not stunning but will be much better than stock ones

22 minutes ago, whitecitadel said:

Not much love for the shocks!

Not assembled mine yet, do the dual rate springs help? Might file down the piston like others did when assembling.

The dual rate springs to nothing to help, nor does the 4 link suspension kit. Filing an extra flat in the piston is the way to go 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, everclear1984 said:

The dual rate springs to nothing to help, nor does the 4 link suspension kit. Filing an extra flat in the piston is the way to go 👍

I was just going to say I’d have a good go at improving the stock shocks first before buying replacements .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I wont try to improve the stock shocks, will find some 100mm replacements, i have a set of budget 90mm ones on my SCX10 that are availavle in 100mm, they are not stunning but will be much better than stock ones

I reckon you can get them working sweet with a bit of modifying mate .

6 minutes ago, tomr said:

I reckon you can get them working sweet with a bit of modifying mate .

I would say mine must be really bad, still think just replace them, interesting they have a very light oil in them, i emptied one shock thinking it was heavy oil and the lightest oil i have is way to heavy, dont want to spend on the stockers only to find not a lot of improvement