• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Black Fridays in the RC market.

Skynet5

Got quite a bit of stuff to buy. Tbf I'm not in a major rush anyway, but do modelsport et al tend to have Black Friday deals?

Need things like xr10 pro and xerun G2 motors
They have a sales tab see what they have

Tamiya tt02 mercades amg gt4 with trackstar 3520kv motor/esc on a 2s lipo

10 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

In a word, no.

Black Friday sales in the RC world are very poor, I've in fact never had what I'd consider a good deal/bargain in a Black Friday sale.

The best you can hope for is HobbyKing having a deal on batteries and maybe a few escs/motors/kits.

really, do they have anything in stock

5 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

really, do they have anything in stock

Not been on HobbyKing in a while so I've not got a clue, you'd have to have a look for whatever you need.

They did once have a very good sale on though, they were selling HobbyWing 1080 ESCs for £18, I picked up some big 6000 4s LiPos for about £15 each, overall I saved about 70% on my order.

19 minutes ago, Goddinaw said:

Banggood is advertising a Black Friday sale, but whether there will be any genuine reductions I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banggood have a sneaky habbit of upping prices a week or so before sale then dropping price back to usual for sale

• Like 1

Most RC shops are very poor when it comes to sales, when I got my tekno from the states with all the offeres for the 4th July sales it worked out to be around £220 (RRP £350+). 

DMS racing seem to be the best when it comes to discounts as they quite often run 10% off everything which is pretty good. 

I've got no idea of what sort of margins RC shops sell at so there might not be any room for big discounts but 10% here and there wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 1

I doubt margins for UK shops are really any different to most shops.

For example, when paying full retail from Towers, Amain or CML, when I used to order RC4WD kits from the states, they worked out at about £90-120 cheaper than UK prices, that's at full retail value, full shipping value and import taxes.

If you factor in a discount for buying in bulk, plus the discount per item on shipping and import taxes because they are costing a lot less, the mark up is huge, just using that as an example because I know the facts and figures.

At a guess I'd say the mark up is over 100% which on a £450 item is a good profit.

• Like 2

Yeah I remember those heady old days when HK did blowout sales on Lipos etc.  The last one I did, I ordered about 350 quids worth of 2 & 3S lipos ranging from 800mah to 5000mah, for 65 quid posted.  Granted, some had some fairly strange connectors on them, but nothing a few mins with the iron wouldn't resolve.  Most I haven't used yet, and are still sitting at storage charge in the garage.

Realistically though, I wouldn't expect anything similar in the current climate, as most shops seem to be struggling to get stock in the first place, so why blow it out?

Rc model shop direct have a sale on:

24 hours only!

Enjoy a 5% discount* off our already low prices on everything from our web site – Please use voucher code “hello5” when checking out.

OR

Spend over £99 and receive an amazing 10% Discount* off everything – Please use voucher code “hello10” when checking out.

Don’t delay because this offer is only available for 24 hours only and will end midnight on Friday 27th November 2020

Got me some new diff gears for the smt10 

• Like 1

Black Friday is shocking this year... not a single offer I've seen has made me thing "ooh that's a good price" and I only bought 2 things last year...  You'd think they'd want the extra sales this year

• 7 months later...

I think the only deals you can expect is a deal for accessories. The costs and margins in this industry are pretty low, so nobody is going to offer some great deals on a product like xerun G2 motors. However, sometimes happens to get second-hand pieces for a very good price, either from the official dealer, or on specialized services like newbiedeals.com . But for new ones, don't expect some mega discounts. They do that, but for complementary products, such as batteries, which is also super fine. I went to the service and got informed that I should change mine, so I am waiting for some better deals, because it's a bit too expensive.

Edited by Mirrah