• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheel wobble

Jetman_71

The left side looks relatively normal, many crawlers out of the box have some degree of wobble (i'd call that borderline).

The right rear on the other hand, i'd get that sorted as well - that's too much. That almost looks as bad as my TRX4, and that had basically a bent axle. It also looks like (i might be mistaken, hard to judge) that it's more pronounced in reverse, which would lead me to believe that it's not just an uneven tyre. 

You also got a flat spot in the tyres. :D

Edited by m4inbrain

I would actually say that especially on the rear right, you should be able to tell just by looking if the wheel is sitting correctly in the bead. There should be a small rubber ridge around the rim, where it clamps the bead. That should be the same around the entire wheel. You can see the ridge better here.

71GB-gERgwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Check if there's a gap somewhere, or clamped further than that ridge. 

I remember my slash 2wd in reverse lol that was nuts. 

I try to ignore wheel play now unless an obvious way to fix it. As long as it goes straight and fast no care lol. 

Yes that video is not normal. Time for process of elimination! :D

1) Remove the tyre, does the wheel still wobble? If no, your tyre is uneven or not sat correctly.

2) Take the wheel and hex off, is the axle crooked that the hex sits on when you run/turn it? If yes, your axle is bent.

3) Have you tried switching the left and right wheels, does the wobble follow where the wheel is fitted? If yes, probably the wheel or hex is warped.

On 07/09/2020 at 18:45, Gampla said:

Even my tt02 has wobble and I torque the nut down it has full adjustable front and rear plus I said some wobble,
You also gotta remember a stock rc car cant change camber or toe

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Erm my hubs and links on my cars are standard and I have a small amount of camber and toe adjustment 

OK, an update - after some to and fro and the retailer (who to be fair has been very good) contacting Axial and the fact that I’m not willing to start repairing a brand new out of the box car I am going to return it.

Of course things never go as planned and they have no more 1.9 Wraiths in stock. Budget is still the same and I’m looking for a crawler that I can give a scale look to. 

Any suggestions as an alternative to the 1.9 Wraith if I can’t get one?

OK, an update - after some to and fro and the retailer (who to be fair has been very good) contacting Axial and the fact that I’m not willing to start repairing a brand new out of the box car I am going to return it.

Of course things never go as planned and they have no more 1.9 Wraiths in stock. Budget is still the same and I’m looking for a crawler that I can give a scale look to. 

Any suggestions as an alternative to the 1.9 Wraith if I can’t get one?
Have you got way to get hold of new set of rims see if it is the rims or if it actually driveline issue?

Thanks for the quick reply Gampla.  The retailer wants me to swap the wheels over and then video again.  If the damage was a result of me crashing it etc I’d happily look at repairs / other solutions but not straight out of the box.  I would expect it to work with minimal adjustments. Really frustrating when all you want to do is just get out and drive.

Thanks for the quick reply Gampla.  The retailer wants me to swap the wheels over and then video again.  If the damage was a result of me crashing it etc I’d happily look at repairs / other solutions but not straight out of the box.  I would expect it to work with minimal adjustments. Really frustrating when all you want to do is just get out and drive.
You would be better off getting a spare set of wheels that way if you pop the tyre you can still go out and have fun, if have you taken it apart to see if the wheel bearings are OK?