• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA Kraton EXB - Extreme Bash Roller Speed Truck

Fly In My Soup

3 hours ago, Tony said:

@m4inbrain "that's the reason why i didn't buy a release EXB - but the second batch (12-16th of december) is fixed."

Is there a way to know if I have the 2nd batch when I receive the box today from Modelsport?

Thanks

What ESC and motor you gone for mate?

Taking advice here I might have to go to wheelspin to the suggested combo

Motor wise yeah the 2200 combo is fine these are geared low so you’ll have a few gearing options, unless your going to go with a bigger motor can down the road the 150a max8 is fine it’s practically what the use from the factory in the rtr rigs [emoji106]

The standard Kraton uses a 2050kv and 13t pinion from stock and a "speed pinion" is 15t which gears it for approx 60 with typical MT wheels, and is recommended for short runs on favourable terrain. I've seen folk recomming 16t pinions, but having run the speed pinion on my Kraton when it was stock, I don't really understand how. It does get hot unless you're just on flat smooth ground.
EXB is quite a bit heavier than a stock Kraton, so I'd expect issues with anything bigger than 16t with a 2050kv.

2200kv is a good torquey motor, and it will work ok with the Kraton, but I really don't think the gearing options will be as good as you say.

Edit: just to add a "dislike" with the Max8. They recommend that you add on the supplied cap pack if running 6s all the time, and with the EXB being a heavy truck, you will want to do that.

It's a bit of a faff to do, honestly. The Max 6, despite requiring a bit of faff to get onto the ESC tray is a better fit for the car.

17 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

What ESC and motor you gone for mate?

Taking advice here I might have to go to wheelspin to the suggested combo

Castle MMX 8s and 1717-1650. 

Bit of a premium combo from the USA, doesn't appear to be any stock in the UK. If i wouldn't have gone for that, i'd probably taken a Max6/4092 combo, with a Surpass Hobby Rocket 4092 motor, 1650kv. My neighbour is running that, runs great, but would probably need a fan in the EXB if you want to gear higher than 16t-17t.

• Like 1

I think this is the motor my Kraton runs (except the 42 version with fins, but I had to seal up the motor as it came open).

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-685e-4a79-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/bd5f179c-685e-4a79-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/St_TP4050_1950KV_5F

IMO, this is a perfect motor for these trucks.

They're very efficient, very smooth power delivery, and buckets of torque.

Only issue is shipping, of course. They're also not exactly a budget option.

22 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

The standard Kraton uses a 2050kv and 13t pinion from stock and a "speed pinion" is 15t which gears it for approx 60 with typical MT wheels, and is recommended for short runs on favourable terrain. I've seen folk recomming 16t pinions, but having run the speed pinion on my Kraton when it was stock, I don't really understand how. It does get hot unless you're just on flat smooth ground.
EXB is quite a bit heavier than a stock Kraton, so I'd expect issues with anything bigger than 16t with a 2050kv.

2200kv is a good torquey motor, and it will work ok with the Kraton, but I really don't think the gearing options will be as good as you say.

Edit: just to add a "dislike" with the Max8. They recommend that you add on the supplied cap pack if running 6s all the time, and with the EXB being a heavy truck, you will want to do that.

It's a bit of a faff to do, honestly. The Max 6, despite requiring a bit of faff to get onto the ESC tray is a better fit for the car.

The Exb runs a 12t stock or atleast that’s the option they give you in the box, if anything I’d say Arrma under gears  there trucks which also makes them run hot. Gearing is about terrain weight etc so just because you can’t run whatever doesn’t mean others can’t or will have the same temp issues. There’s plenty of folk running that combo without issue and run different gearing 

Maybe these EXB’s run different from the rtr Kraton 🤷🏻‍♂️  

Again not everyone will think soldering 2 wires is a faff and I’ve run the max 8 constantly on 6s without the added cap pack  but you are correct it is recommended you use it in certain situations 👍

24 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

The Exb runs a 12t stock or atleast that’s the option they give you in the box, if anything I’d say Arrma under gears  there trucks which also makes them run hot. Gearing is about terrain weight etc so just because you can’t run whatever doesn’t mean others can’t or will have the same temp issues. There’s plenty of folk running that combo without issue and run different gearing 

Maybe these EXB’s run different from the rtr Kraton 🤷🏻‍♂️  

Again not everyone will think soldering 2 wires is a faff and I’ve run the max 8 constantly on 6s without the added cap pack  but you are correct it is recommended you use it in certain situations 👍

Yeah I think you're right actually, it is a 12T. Not sure why I had 13T in my head. The EXB drivetrain is the same as the RTR trucks, with the exception of the LSD diffs.

I wasn't suggesting that you cant run the Max 8, like I said, It's "ok". I also said, "it will do the job". I just don't know many people who have bought and installed that combo and not ended up changing it out for a Max 6, myself included (although my reasons were different).  You go to the Arrma forum and most of the recomendations are for the Max 6, with quite a few people reporting temp issues with the Max 8 combo.

My advice was from that of someone who has been running a Kraton for over a year now. If I was buying the EXB today, I would get the Max 6. I'm not saying "you must do this", and I'm not spouting out fanboy garbage, I'm just putting my 2c out there from my own experience, and that of people running similar rigs.

The thing with the soldering is that it's actually not just soldering wires, something which is not an issue for most modestly experienced hobbyists, the issue is that its solding small gauge cable onto the middle of heavy cables that are fixed into the ESC. It's an unpleasant job to get right, even for someone who is experienced at soldering, which I am. Again, it's something that, from my experience, I think it's prudent to highlight to any prospective buyer so they can make an informed decision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Yeah I think you're right actually, it is a 12T. Not sure why I had 13T in my head. The EXB drivetrain is the same as the RTR trucks, with the exception of the LSD diffs.

I wasn't suggesting that you cant run the Max 8, like I said, It's "ok". I also said, "it will do the job". I just don't know many people who have bought and installed that combo and not ended up changing it out for a Max 6, myself included (although my reasons were different).  You go to the Arrma forum and most of the recomendations are for the Max 6, with quite a few people reporting temp issues with the Max 8 combo.

My advice was from that of someone who has been running a Kraton for over a year now. If I was buying the EXB today, I would get the Max 6. I'm not saying "you must do this", and I'm not spouting out fanboy garbage, I'm just putting my 2c out there from my own experience, and that of people running similar rigs.

The thing with the soldering is that it's actually not just soldering wires, something which is not an issue for most modestly experienced hobbyists, the issue is that its solding small gauge cable onto the middle of heavy cables that are fixed into the ESC. It's an unpleasant job to get right, even for someone who is experienced at soldering, which I am. Again, it's something that, from my experience, I think it's prudent to highlight to any prospective buyer so they can make an informed decision.

I hear what your saying just not convinced by it 😂😂👍

• Like 1

Apart from being about 40mm shorter in W/Base (and technically 1/7), and not looking quite as cool as the Mojave (imo), is there any other significant reason this is 130 quid cheaper than the EXB Mojave?  Just seems like much better vfm?

21 minutes ago, Guns said:

Anyone with experience of these and a Tekno MT410 care to chime in? What do you think is better?

The main chassis still looks 'weak' on the EXB to me?

I’ve had both now 😂

For me the main weakness on the Mt410 was the rear diff housing then there’s the chassis space it’s very very tight so your limited with things this said both can now be addressed the diff housing can be bought in alloy but there not cheap £115 and the chassis can be changed again not cheap but not really a necessity. 

So far my only gripe with the EXB is the shocks are full of slop but fixable with some £6 bushings 😂😂  but it’s yet to hit the skatepark and bmx track 😂😂 

Another thing to think of is cost these EXB’s are cheaper as you don’t need a shell and wheels and tyres 👍

4 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I’ve had both now 😂

For me the main weakness on the Mt410 was the rear diff housing then there’s the chassis space it’s very very tight so your limited with things this said both can now be addressed the diff housing can be bought in alloy but there not cheap £115 and the chassis can be changed again not cheap but not really a necessity. 

So far my only gripe with the EXB is the shocks are full of slop but fixable with some £6 bushings 😂😂  but it’s yet to hit the skatepark and bmx track 😂😂 

Another thing to think of is cost these EXB’s are cheaper as you don’t need a shell and wheels and tyres 👍

But. I cant build the EXB :(

• Haha 1

I do feel like building it is part of the fun for me. I was tempted for an RTR when ingot into 8th, but glad I built it.

Jury is still out for me. Just bought a drone to cover me over Christmas with something to play with. 

Anyone with experience of these and a Tekno MT410 care to chime in? What do you think is better?

The main chassis still looks 'weak' on the EXB to me?

Posted my comments previously (quoted below). Bear in mind that the EXB doesn't do anything particularly special that a Kraton didn't do before, Arrma largely just included the parts that most folk have been adding to them for years.
There is slightly different geometry on the suspension, slightly modified A Arms, and LSD diffs... I can't say how much difference they make (yet) but that's it, for all intents and purposes it's the same car with the same driving experience, just tougher.
I'd probably argue my Titanium upgrades do a better job than the EXB ones, but that's up for debate.

As someone who owns both an MT410 and a "Full Option" Kraton, I can honestly say that I can't pick between them in terms of a favourite. The MT410 drives like what it is, an elite level race buggy, with big truggy arms, and big wheels... on steroids... it's bonkers. I just like to the way it drives, it's super smooth and precise. You have loads of control in any circumstance, even in the air with the smaller MT wheels. You still want to jump it, but everything feels a bit more elegantly poised with the Tekno.

The Kraton on the other hand is more of a pure bred hooligan, It's not really refined at all. Sure, it has design and adjustment that's hung on from it's Team Durango roots but its mostly been stripped out for more cost efficient production (biggest annoyances are the servo saver and the steering posts IMO, I use Durango ones). It's a very raw truck, and when you drive it is just cries out to be jumped as high as you can possibly get it to jump, go as fast as you can possibly get it to go, and do skids and far as you can make it skid.

But I have owned my Kraton over a year now, and have been CONSTANTLY tweaking it to get it the way I like it, it took ages, lots of daft little problems halting my bash sessions, and a lot of mods. The Tekno on the other hand, was wonderful from the minute I put a battery in there.
Costwise at this stage, given the Kraton breaks and the Tekno just... doesn't... probably not dissimilar after 1 year of ownership. The EXB does change things, as it has a lot of the options I bought as extra equipped from the get go.

Thinking about it again, I also think my feelings on the MT410 might be skewed by the fact I have a sensored electronics set up... Which does suit the platform for sure.

In terms of building, I've made no secret of my love for the Tekno build experience, and utter distain of the Arrma QC for spares (the gearbox replacements are utter turd), but I can guarantee you will have the Arrma in pieces and rebuilt from a bag of screws and plastic at some point [emoji6]

12 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Struggling to fine a servo instock at either modelsport or wheelspin.  Got all the stuff in my basket at wheelspin.  but I hear that some Savox don't fit without some dremmelling.

Ideas?

Have a look here