• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My SCX10.2 - A Work In Progress.

An in-depth 'this is how I did it' is never boring to me, especially when you detail the pitfalls and how you get round them so thank you! Just what I needed with my Sunday morning coffee! Now, off to look at my truck... 

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2020 at 12:16, DartmoorTrails said:

I want a forward motor setup as well; do share what you find as the one I'd looked at was $150!!! Ludicrous money for a small machined piece of aluminium and transfer case.

Nice work on weathering the  fuel cell; I just painted the braces bit in matt black and sanded the red cell. Yours looks way better mate, good work.

As stimpy mentioned above, that's a lot of weight to be hoisting up there on the backend, along with the cage do you now find it a little heavy in the rear?

One of the cheapest bestest front motor mounts is using the base boggo scx /AX transmission then flipping the motor and spacing it out.....

On 05/07/2020 at 13:39, stimpy said:

One of the cheapest bestest front motor mounts is using the base boggo scx /AX transmission then flipping the motor and spacing it out.....

So the motor will then be spaced out like 1/2 inch or something on the same side as the spur?

Sorry, having difficulty visualising this!

If it is this route I can certainly give it a go but i'd be concerned there's not enough contact area between the motor and the mount plate.

22 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

So the motor will then be spaced out like 1/2 inch or something on the same side as the spur?

Sorry, having difficulty visualising this!

If it is this route I can certainly give it a go but i'd be concerned there's not enough contact area between the motor and the mount plate.

theres a few ways of doing it... Best to look on youth / RCC. But basically yes opt 1 just spacer out*, option 2 you make a new support that is also spattered but bridges to either side of the cassis for max strength. Ideally you want to cut this out of carbon for the best lightness and stiffness ratio..

Don't forget that you also don't have to mount your tranny on the skid where the manufacturer may want you to, can always move it forward also - but obviously everything we alter has a knock on effect elsewhere.

All this also depends upon your usage - if you're doing a lot of climbing etc then great, but if you're trailing mudding then these sorts of mods don't work out necessarily...

* If you were to try this option personally I would either use as larger diameter spacers as possible else I reckon she may flex a bit...

Edited by stimpy

Morning folks..

A quick update, well...quick by my standards anyway! 😆

This wasn’t something I was planning on but I came across these while looking for something else on RCBITZ, and being only £20 they were ‘slung’ into the basket..

SSD stainless steel lower links.  The Axial kit links are very light, which is good if you have a lightweight rig...but if you have a lardy rig with say...a heavy roll cage, then you’d probably want to counteract that high up weight somehow. 
I thought these heavy links would help with the CoG, along with the new transmission I recently fitted. 

See...I can do quick updates! 😂

Ot89x7j.jpg

VRd8mnj.jpg

The usual high quality from SSD, and a spare rod end is included in the pack..

1dluKGp.jpg

Job done  

q8mnJQE.jpg

There is another small mod that I did..to the Bowhouse battery tray.

I use fairly small packs, 1300 or 1600mAh which I seem to have trouble holding in place on the tray - yes, my rig makes regular use of its roll cage!  So I cut a small piece of anti-slip matting which I Shoegooed into place on the tray. This should hep keep my packs in place..hopefully.  

4mLAdSO.jpg
1EeI3o5.jpg
wArcQSK.jpg
7PQWGx2.jpg

I’m hoping to get out on Friday morning to see how it handles with the new transmission and link setup. That’s if the universe doesn’t conspire against me, like it has been lately 🤪

Thats all for now folks.. 

• Like 2

A word of warning on those SSD links Andy; the thread is very short so you may, if you decide to get all jumpy(!) break a rod end as the thread 'only' goes in like 6mm or something.

Damn annoying they supply such short threads given how fine all their other stuff is.

I had the problem on my Bomber, which granted was quite lively. But forewarned and all that - take some spares on your travels!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

A word of warning on those SSD links Andy; the thread is very short so you may, if you decide to get all jumpy(!) break a rod end as the thread 'only' goes in like 6mm or something.

Damn annoying they supply such short threads given how fine all their other stuff is.

I had the problem on my Bomber, which granted was quite lively. But forewarned and all that - take some spares on your travels!

I did think that the inserts were a little short at the time, so I’ve set them up with more thread in the rod end, than the link.  Hopefully that’ll be okay, but thanks for the heads up 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Looks great Andy; the paintjob really suits it.

Can you get aftermarket grills for that though? I reckon that'd set it off top notch mate.

Thanks @DartmoorTrails👍

I did look on Shapeways for a printed grill but drew a blank. However, I have a P-L 1978 Chevy K10  body that I’m planning on fitting at some point, along with a lighter cage, and I think a printed grill is available for the K10. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Afternoon all. It’s been a while.. 

I dug my 10.2 out of its retirement ‘home’ (a box in the spare room) the other day…and I’m thinking a resurrection is on the cards 🤔

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

I use mine regularly, good trucks👍

• Like 2