• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ftx vantage help save my sons birthday please

harry87

Sounds to me like something is jammed. That would also cause the esc to heat up quickly. The wheels turn freely in opposite directions, that’s the normal function of the diff but with all wheels on the floor you should be able to push the car forwards easily. How comfortable are you with a screwdriver? Start by taking the motor off and see if you can turn the pinion freely, if that moves plug in the electronics and see if it runs with the motor out. If the motor spins then you need to look in the gears box. Never had an ftx, does the manual have any teardown instructions?

3 minutes ago, oodboo said:

Sounds to me like something is jammed. That would also cause the esc to heat up quickly. The wheels turn freely in opposite directions, that’s the normal function of the diff but with all wheels on the floor you should be able to push the car forwards easily. How comfortable are you with a screwdriver? Start by taking the motor off and see if you can turn the pinion freely, if that moves plug in the electronics and see if it runs with the motor out. If the motor spins then you need to look in the gears box. Never had an ftx, does the manual have any teardown instructions?

No not in there it came rtr

23 hours ago, harry87 said:

Do you know any upgrade kits that come with everything to upgrade to brushless or know what I need to get n is it a big job?

going to brushless would require a new brushless esc and motor and probably a new  pinion gear, then you would have the hassle of setting up the brushless esc etc

just a simple thought, can you see any thing like a little pebble between the spur and pinion gear? just bascially any thing that could be jamming it?

edit : just had a look at a pic of a bare chassis, on the bottom of your car near the back, can you see like a wee slit and just inside is there a gear you can see? if so it is easy for small bits of debris to get in and jam it, does that gear turn when u try to move it?

this link may be of use https://www.ftx-rc.com/image/data/FTX5527/files/FTX Vantage Manual.pdf it  has exploded views of all the parts :)

Edited by Yrkoon

On 11/06/2020 at 18:32, harry87 said:

Not sure what you mean sorry buddy you got facebook could I add you?

20200611_182947.jpg

20200611_183046.jpg

How come the motor has rotated between these two photos? Did you take it off and put it back?

On 13/06/2020 at 01:51, Yrkoon said:

going to brushless would require a new brushless esc and motor and probably a new  pinion gear, then you would have the hassle of setting up the brushless esc etc

just a simple thought, can you see any thing like a little pebble between the spur and pinion gear? just bascially any thing that could be jamming it?

edit : just had a look at a pic of a bare chassis, on the bottom of your car near the back, can you see like a wee slit and just inside is there a gear you can see? if so it is easy for small bits of debris to get in and jam it, does that gear turn when u try to move it?

this link may be of use https://www.ftx-rc.com/image/data/FTX5527/files/FTX Vantage Manual.pdf it  has exploded views of all the parts :)

Yes got I running with a new motor now buddy but its lasting about 4 meters then have to let go n pull throttle again for it to go another 4 meters 

Sounds like the escs getting overloaded. Could be some sort of resistance in the drivetrain if you've already replaced the motor. Esc could still be a dud tho :(

Edited by fnknan

• 2 months later...