• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Exceeding the limits of brushless motors

jjl5590

Hiya,

I'm looking for more speed out of my rig without resorting to an expensive TP 4070cm...

Currently run a SSS 4092 2140kV on 6s with no issues.

Would 8s break the motor? I think it has a 45-60k rpm/min max speed. Theoretically I'm not going to be going WOT for long periods of time due to space constraints, or if I am it will be on grass. So that should keep the motor RPM down...

If the motor does break, would it still be able to brake the vehicle? That would be my main concern!

Normally the Rotor goes when you over rev the motor, which will more than likely lock the motor and possibly kill the esc 

This motor locked up and nearly somersaulted a 14kg 5ive-B, luckily I wasn’t on power when it let go and the esc survived 👍 

3-E802606-9257-4-C07-AFB0-9-A85-B1-D272-

4 minutes ago, RadioFish said:

Sorry to barge in with the daftest question but can some one explain WOT for me please?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Wide Open Throttle 🍻

• Like 1

Kevin Talbot runs higher voltages than the motors are designed for, doesn't seem to cause many issues. Not saying that makes it OK, but if it's a quality motor and you don't gun it with the wheels off the ground, it should survive. 

At the end of the day, it's down to you to decide if you want to take the risk. 

9 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

Hiya,

I'm looking for more speed out of my rig without resorting to an expensive TP 4070cm...

Currently run a SSS 4092 2140kV on 6s with no issues.

Would 8s break the motor? I think it has a 45-60k rpm/min max speed. Theoretically I'm not going to be going WOT for long periods of time due to space constraints, or if I am it will be on grass. So that should keep the motor RPM down...

If the motor does break, would it still be able to brake the vehicle? That would be my main concern!

that’s too much for that motor, if you wanna higher speed gear it up, I assume we are talking about 1/8 scale right?  motor has enough power so shouldn’t be an issue