• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

oodboo's Tamiya MF01x beetle

oodboo

This wasn't quite fast enough for my liking out of the box. I was thinking about going brushless but with Tamiya the faster you go there faster you break it. I stuck with the stock motor (tamiya torque tuned) and swapped the pinion from the standard 16t to a 20t. Much better. That's running on 2s lipo, I tried 3s for a laugh but that was just too fast. So yeah, 20t pinion and a 2s lipo is the sweet spot for me.

Edited by oodboo
Ttpo

I've never seen this chassis before! Is it an old design?

At first glance it looked like a rear-motor TL-01, but then the dimensions look smaller and people are using them for off-road. Exactly what market is this chassis in?

33 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

I've never seen this chassis before! Is it an old design?

At first glance it looked like a rear-motor TL-01, but then the dimensions look smaller and people are using them for off-road. Exactly what market is this chassis in?

I think the chassis came out about 2 years ago. It’s an M class car like the front wheel drive M05 and the rear wheel drive M06. The wheelbase can be changed between three options, shortest being 210mm and this body is the longest 239mm. I don’t know what people are doing with them but I’m having a lot of fun with mine :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since the last update I've swapped the servo for a faster low profile one. Swapped the motor for a 12t brushed one and fitted the Tamiya alloy prop shaft. I took out the beach with that motor and it flies but the tyres also fly off so I've fitted foams and glued them. I might go back to the Tamiya torque tuned add the 12t motor is too fast for general use.

IMG_20200709_173000.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought one of these in 2019, an enjoyable build. Seems very solid. Body is yellow with black bonnet. Fitted some ali wheels and different tyres (never used the stock ones), oil filled shocks all round rather than the pogo sticks, full bearing set, 13T brushed motor with 1060 esc. It runs really well too. We have a TT02 rally class at the club so it's ran amongst those. It looks great zipping around the track! (indoors tarmac), not taken it off-road, and probably won't. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...