• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Coming back to the hobby - lipo age

jayuk022002

I have been out of the hobby for since 2014.  

I have bought a new scx10 for some trail running and havent thought about batteries at all.  I have some Gens ace lipos that have been stored in my shed in a container  that were new in 2014.  I have checked them every year to make sure voltage was ok and rebalanced.  They have only been used a handfull of times

Is it worth even trying to use these or best off just buying some new ones?

Edited by jayuk022002

I'd say charge them at 1C and just keep an eye on them (you should anyway)

If they haven't puffed they should be fine.

Considering you've been monitoring them on a regular basis and you've kept them balanced, I don't foresee any issues.

Edit: Welcome back!

Edited by James1986

On 10/01/2020 at 18:48, CattoCattoExo said:

worst case scenario would be they catch fire,

And burn your house down (if charging)

destroy your R/C (if runninng).  Ever tried to reach in to a burning R/C to dissconnect the battery and try and remove it?  DAMHIK

Six year old LiPos, I would replace they are not THAT expensive .  Is the replacement cost really worth the potential to wreck your R/C or your home.

24 minutes ago, soup said:

And burn your house down (if charging)

destroy your R/C (if runninng).  Ever tried to reach in to a burning R/C to dissconnect the battery and try and remove it?  DAMHIK

Six year old LiPos, I would replace they are not THAT expensive .  Is the replacement cost really worth the potential to wreck your R/C or your home.

thats why i made the point to make sure they tested good before use, and, ill always suggest  to use a charge safe bag or box to avoid massive damage while charging IF something does go wrong.

obviously to be absolutely sure theyre safe to run, new is better, but given that theyve been maintained through their storage period, id assume theyd be good to use

If they were on storage charge they should be OK, they might not perform as new, but they will be fine in a trail truck. As said above just keep extra careful eye on them when charging the first few times. As long as they don't puff up and have very unbalanced cells they will be OK. 

I'd use them, lithium tends to work on cycles, as far as I am aware, although I'm no expert, so from what I do understand, leaving a battery not connected to anything at the correct voltage shouldn't have a negative effect.

Since 2014 is quite a long time granted, but I've got batteries from 2015 that I still use now, they have been hammered.

Yours has simply been sat there doing nothing.

How long do batteries sit in shops before they sell, that one on the back of the shelf, or left behind in a factory.

I really wouldn't worry, just do as you should with all LiPos, treat it with respect, it should be good to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup.  How long have they been sitting on 'a shelf' not six years I'll warrant .  Use them (carefully) if you must, but to my mind six years old, ditch them and buy new ,you're not saving/paying THAT much.

But then what do I know of your circumstance .what level of risk you are prepared to 'undergo'. 

MY take is, ' I' would change but...

Edit :- for personal opinion

Edited by soup

On 23/01/2020 at 19:03, babylon said:

They will be fine,They will either work or won't work, Contrary to what some will try and make out, Lipos are not cemtex.

Never seen one spontaneously combust , eh?

4 minutes ago, soup said:

Never seen one spontaneously combust , eh?

But why would it? If there was evidence that suggested the OP's about to cause Hiroshima number 2 just because his lipo's have been sat on a shelf in storage for 5 years  then surely the manufacturers would be obliged to stamp them with some sort of 'use by' date?

If you're that concerned, charge them in the garden on a baking tray so they can be easily disconnected from the charger and moved to safety.

16 minutes ago, J.K said:

But why would it? If there was evidence that suggested the OP's about to cause Hiroshima number 2 just because his lipo's have been sat on a shelf in storage for 5 years  then surely the manufacturers would be obliged to stamp them with some sort of 'use by' date?

If you're that concerned, charge them in the garden on a baking tray so they can be easily disconnected from the charger and moved to safety.

This isn't applicable to this particular case, but in general, they indeed do. They tell you to not charge over-discharged lipos. Note, this isn't applicable in this case since the OP (from what i gather) did indeed made sure the voltage didn't drop to bad levels, but a lipo left by its own devices over 5 years will go flat. I know, because it happened to me. Now, it was only 3 years, and the pack was still somewhat okay (3.4v per cell - from full) - and i don't exactly know if they discharge linear or if it slows down with lower voltage, but chances are that a lipo left to its own devices over 5 or 6 years discharges to the point where you'll puff it if you try to charge as usual. 

And as we know, puffing is a potential fire hazard if the wrap kinks or tears. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Two pictures from the gallery on this very site. Batteries have been puffing and going bang from day one,  

gallery_13349_5_735.jpggallery_4125_5_35278.jpg

Remember when I posted that eBay deal for them cheap Floureon packs, When the 10X 2s  packs cost 35 quid ,  Still not used any of them, Been sitting here on storage charge since then, What was that 2, 3 years ago.

20171223-142609-1.jpg20171223-143038-1.jpg

On 29/01/2020 at 12:55, J.K said:

As long as you don't put it in water.

Yes there are workarounds, or rather ways to do things were if it all goes wrong you don't harm yourself, but ask yourself is it worth it. Especially with the likes of Zop being so, relatively, cheap.

Spontaneosly combust was probably the wrong phrase LiPos tend not to explode or go on fire unless you are doing something to them (charge , discharge, puncture etc)

So much scaremongering though. An AA battery could explode if not charged/handled correctly and i've been recharging some of mine for nearly 10 years!

There's honestly no reason (or even evidence to suggest) why a lipo that's been sat at storage voltage for 5 years would explode if you charged it. If this were the case then they wouldn't even be allowed to be sold!