• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

20700 battery in a custom sled

james.1020

Hi all just a quick question as a vaper i have loads of 18650 and 20700 li-ion cells which are 3.7 volts 4.2 when charged so i was thinking if i was to get a sled off the internet for this size batteries then put a deans connector coming off it would this work fine in my brushed e firestorm? 

Agree with catto depending on capacity of each cell but cant see it being worth it tbh if running 2s on a brushed setup better off with one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/402011693056?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=402011693056&targetid=596596254901&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006567&poi=&campaignid=6619152134&mkgroupid=84510981728&rlsatarget=pla-596596254901&abcId=1140496&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAiAo7HwBRBKEiwAvC_Q8RltZVBZTc-YBFnj8e5vUNj8xIWZbID9MSfsDyB2chFyOQTQAwLAZhoCvGMQAvD_BwE

i run 2 of these in my 1/8th truggy @ 4s get around 15mins full pelt on tracks etc on a 1/10 lighter rc you should get 25min runs times for under £20 which is pretty fair or get the bigger sized ones 5200mah if u can mod the battery tray or just her in tight :)

I have so many of these batteries and just thought it was a cheap way to use them as if in there own sled then it would be like using aa batteries just a lot better so when they run low i can just pop them out and put some new ones in the sled. the batteries are 3000mah and 4000 mah. Im not keen on lipo as its a basher for the kids and i feel like these batteries are safer.

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

They don't usually have the discharge capacity for RC, could be more dangerous than lipo due to overload risk. 

What he said - discharging at a too higher rate could be every iffy.... 

1 hour ago, james.1020 said:

I have so many of these batteries and just thought it was a cheap way to use them as if in there own sled then it would be like using aa batteries just a lot better so when they run low i can just pop them out and put some new ones in the sled. the batteries are 3000mah and 4000 mah. Im not keen on lipo as its a basher for the kids and i feel like these batteries are safer.

Those vaping batteries (i'm pretty certain we're talking vaping batteries here, things like Sony VTC6, Samsung 40Ts etc?) have nowhere near the required discharge rate. A VTC5A is already stretching it, 3000mah and 4000mah batteries have a max discharge of around 15A safely. That's nowhere near enough. 

They're also lithium batteries, everything that goes for a LiPo goes for a 18650 as well. If punctured, ruptured or even shorted, you have a lithium fire at the very least. 

Edited by m4inbrain