• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is there a 1/5 scale electric truck?

Trexdominator700l

Electric rc’s and long Grass arent a great combination regardless, youre asking for trouble. Why do you have to run in long grass?

I think the X-maxx is your best bet, I recently picked up a second hand one (my third) for a decent price. A £1000 will get you a full rtr on the second hand market.

a Traxxas UDR, Or Losi Super Baja Ray might be a good shout

24 minutes ago, Guns said:

Electric rc’s and long Grass arent a great combination regardless, youre asking for trouble. Why do you have to run in long grass?

I think the X-maxx is your best bet, I recently picked up a second hand one (my third) for a decent price. A £1000 will get you a full rtr on the second hand market.

a Traxxas UDR, Or Losi Super Baja Ray might be a good shout

Because other than the airstrips most of the fields are long grass most of the time

Well, it arrived Friday, I rather impressed at how tough it is, it took a lot of punishment and only received minor injuries!

In the end we had a make shift ramp with the help of a forklift!

Great little model.

Are there any others which are can take similar amounts of punishment, jumps, flips , very hard landings etc.

I fancy getting a spare.

Edited by Trexdominator700l

On 25/06/2019 at 11:23, Trexdominator700l said:

Well, it arrived Friday, I rather impressed at how tough it is, it took a lot of punishment and only received minor injuries!

In the end we had a make shift ramp with the help of a forklift!

Great little model.

Are there any others which are can take similar amounts of punishment, jumps, flips , very hard landings etc.

I fancy getting a spare.

What did you buy in the end?

Just seen these, yes the arrma Kraton v3, very impressive little truck, handles the grass with no issues, on the first day or two we set up a jump with the aid of a forklift, it was going pretty high tbf, no real damage. Can’t believe how tough this thing is, and it’s fairly quick. Far supper to my old monster beetle and cat 98. Think I might get the talion next, sod paying 1k for the big traxxas lol.

thanks for the advice all, much appreciated

3 hours ago, Trexdominator700l said:

Is it really twice as good though?

Quicker? Stronger? pity arrma don't do a 1/5th scale kraton!

Its 10 times as good as any 1/8th imo. Its so unique!

its not faster or stronger than your Arrma in stock form. Its just far more of an occasion to use. It drives like a lazy 1/8th, yet its absolutely huge. Im smiling as I type this and Ive not used mine for ages 

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Its 10 times as good as any 1/8th imo. Its so unique!

its not faster or stronger than your Arrma in stock form. Its just far more of an occasion to use. It drives like a lazy 1/8th, yet its absolutely huge. Im smiling as I type this and Ive not used mine for ages 

After building numerous large brushless rc's.... I can appreciate and forgive traxxas /or any other Companies.... for any out the box durability issues on large scale electric rc's....

Getting anything that large to be durable is a feet of engineering in itself.... & when coupled with the fact that people often abuse them much more due to their ability to go on most terrains easily...its quite astonishing they survive what their owner put them then through

Hats off to their R&D department.....

As for arrma.... I reckon if they made a large scale... It would be a spectacle to see... 

19 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

After building numerous large brushless rc's.... I can appreciate and forgive traxxas /or any other Companies.... for any out the box durability issues on large scale electric rc's....

Getting anything that large to be durable is a feet of engineering in itself.... & when coupled with the fact that people often abuse them much more due to their ability to go on most terrains easily...its quite astonishing they survive what their owner put them then through

Hats off to their R&D department.....

As for arrma.... I reckon if they made a large scale... It would be a spectacle to see... 

The X Maxx ISNT a traditional large scale, I ran mine at one point alongside a Losi DBXL, and it’s completely different to a ‘proper’ 1/5th. However, that makes its better IMO and is more of a compliment than a flaw. Its a plastic scaled up TENTH scale IMO, its closer to a budget 1/10th scale than a traditional 8th scale with alloy chassis etc.

That REALLY compliments it in terms of it is to use. It makes it unique. Youve got the drive of an 8th scale, but its absolutely massive. It becomes a spectacle. Each use is an event. And, you can use it like a 8th scale truggy, you can take it to the skate park and use it. Its just an amazing RC. Its far from perfect, its nowhere near as strong as, for example a Losi dbxl/5ive, I genuinely cant see how youd break one of them BUT, YOU CANNOT USE A TRUE LARGE SCALE LIKE AN XMAXX. Imagine a 5ive at a skate park? But despite being all plastic, its decievingly strong!

The X-Maxx gets alot of hate. Its expensive and plastic. And the stock electrics arent great. Large scale purists will argue its not a pure large scale, and tbh it isnt. Traxxas arent the best company morally either. 

HOWEVER, I can assure you there is nothing on the market like the Xmaxx. I know mines not stock, but its still sensibly, and I can confidently say its by far the best RC ive ever used, bar none.. 

Took some quick pics of mine as they're next to me. Nor the best but you get the idea. The E-Revo is same sized as your Kraton, in fact the wheels are bigger and wider than a stock Kraton.

9QV5odn.jpg

XPR88AZ.jpg

2Dfg4Xz.jpg

Makes the E-Revo look like a kids toy lol

My Xmaxx has a few mods, nothing mental, but performance is on par with a 1/8th scale (geared for 60mph, rolling wheelies on demand etc) and can handle the skate part relatively well. Perfect R/C :D

Edited by Guns
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I would have said xmaxx too if your friend has a 1/5 the xmaxx could trade paint and mayb keep going lol. Rather than get smashed out of the way spat out the rear of the petrol. Hate traxxas but I love the xmaxx once their cheaper I'll get one. Or theres so many around you can build from rollers. 

Edited by RCbutcher

• 4 months later...
On 25/01/2020 at 14:50, 1111 said:

Batteries for these beasts are going to be expensive to run and maintain. 1/8 scale is cheaper the 1/5.

Not really, I didn't pay much for a pair of 4S Batteries from Hobbyking. wasn't noticeable different from running my 1/8ths on 6s

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Guns said:

Not really, I didn't pay much for a pair of 4S Batteries from Hobbyking. wasn't noticeable different from running my 1/8ths on 6s

My 2x4s 6200 for the DBXLE 2.0 were roughly the same price as 1x6s Graphene. 

The majority of decent 1/8th bashers (even buggies nowadays) are 6s. That's why there's a 6s in their name. And even the ones that don't have a 6s in their name (and that's not many) still run 6s, like the E-Revo. 

I can charge 4 packs in an hour, with equals 2 sets. I'll roughly manage an hour driving on those two sets depending on how hard i go. Petrols and nitros need batteries too, as a sidenote - servos don't run on magic. Hobbyking batteries are some of the best value packs out there, to the point where major youtubers run ROAR approved graphenes etc. Electric 1/5th is more expensive than petrol trucks to buy, too (DBXL = £999, DBXLE = £1199 - a converted 5t will come in at least at £1600-£1700 if not more).

Yes, gassers are still superior on runtime and recharge time, but who cares? It's horses for courses, I only run electric because that's what I like. Over time I've amassed enough cells to power Texas, I can run my cars all day, no problem. Charging doesn't take any time at all, that's because I do other things while they're charging, I hardly sit there watching them!

If you've got some where you can run petrol, to me it's a no brainer. I got so fed up with dealing with a dozen or more batteries I will never go back to large scale electric. Charging that many is a pain but so is storage charging, discharging those you didn't use.  A morning at the track needs hours before and after just dealing with batteries. Or I could have one, perhaps two 2S and that's it.