• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Patents

.AJ.

8 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

I can't believe the price of GPUs! I bought a brand new Zotac GTX 1070, this time last year... £370. Now look at them!

I don't really game much anymore, But I'm thinking of selling the 7970 and a R9 280X (same as 7970,Just different box) I have and coming back in a few years time when Crypto mining has crashed.

280X are going for about 130 quid, I paid £100 over two years ago brand new.

Edited by babylon

12 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

GPU prices are silly, pesky cryptocoin miners.  My R9 380x that I've just replaced is worth more 2nd hand than what I paid for it.  Same with RAM.. I bought 8Gb of good DDR4 for £40 when I built my machine and it's more than doubled now.  I just buy 2nd hand from ebay now.. 1070 for £200 and 32Gb for the same.

Back on topic : 

Patents were to encourage innovation by protecting someone instantly ripping off your new invention before you get a chance to profit from it.  Seems fair enough.  Come up with something cool and have a few years to make some money of it either by actually producing it or licencing it to someone else.

They were not for preventing competition by grabbing a patent for everything you can think of (or has already been thought of but not grabbed yet) and suing all your competitors.  Unfortunately this is a good business model now and the US patent system allows it.

I guess you can't blame Traxxas as if they didn't do it someone else would.  They could however have got all the patents registered and then chose not to enforce any of them.. protecting themselves and everyone else at the same time.  It's just less profitable.

I don't agree with this, otherwise other companies would have already done it.

I was prepared to overlook the fact the electrics probably wouldn't outlast my first packs and buy the Desert truck, but now I won't, I'll put my money into another company, one that is for the hobby, not only for there own wallets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I was prepared to overlook the fact the electrics probably wouldn't outlast my first packs and buy the Desert truck, but now I won't, I'll put my money into another company, one that is for the hobby, not only for there own wallets.

Oh my god. Every single company is there for their own wallets. They wouldnt be there otherwise.

id hate to see you lot manage a company. You’d cut all the prices to be nice to the customers and go bust!

i dont get why youve got a problem with a company making profit? Im being made redundant in June from the only job Ive ever done for the passed 16 years of my life. My company are deciding to remove the upper management position Im in. They see it as a way to be more profitable so ive accepted that. Traxxas just see this as a way to be more profitable/successful thats all it is. Business

Edited by Guns

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I'll put my money into another company, one that is for the hobby, not only for there own wallets.

Problem with that is that when a company gets large, its ran by the suits, with a sole priority of meeting targets.....

I could think of only one company thats still owned by the same family and that's Schumacher...... Which offer a limited range......

Not that I'm knocking your opinion

There has to be a limit though, I'm not saying they aren't entitled to profit, but they are still charging over the odds for outdated products that have been going for years.

Yes, go for profit, but there is no reason at all to be THIS greedy and THIS damaging to the hobby.

Who the hell actually patents a wheel?!

Come on, seriously.

Only one company I know of ;) 

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I certainly don't like it, and certainly don't intend to give Traxxas any money any time soon.  However if you don't patent a design that you use, with the current way the patent system works, someone will probably patent it and then you have to spend money fighting to use the "obvious" feature in your product.

I did wonder if they were a shareholder owned company (so therefore you have to improve profits ever quarter or grumpy shareholders) but it's privately owned by the son of one of the founders.

I think blame can be chucked their way for enforcing all those daft patents, but maybe not for applying for them in the first place.  Is that fairer?

5 minutes ago, Guns said:

Which one isn’t acceptable?

Well if you don't know, We are in trouble, 

A few drugs companies have been trying it, And are still doing it, Is it illegal, No, Is it acceptable, No, But were people have to still buy the drugs to survive there is not much they can do, But in this case there is something you can do, Maybe it is full-hardy, Maybe you are on a hiding to nothing, But there is nothing wrong with making your own stand.

How many times has it come up on this very forum with people going on about supporting your local hobby shop as we need them and they are good for the hobby,Yet here we have a company in it's own little way is destroying parts of it, But we'er still happy to give them our business. 

It's all pretty simple really, Traxxas are the bully in the playground, Everyone has been playing nicely together for years, Traxxas has walked into the playground and nicked everyone else's ball and called it there's, You now need to ask them if you can use your ball for a little while, But it will cost you your dinner money.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Guns said:

Oh my god. Every single company is there for their own wallets. They wouldnt be there otherwise.

id hate to see you lot manage a company. You’d cut all the prices to be nice to the customers and go bust!

i dont get why youve got a problem with a company making profit? Im being made redundant in June from the only job Ive ever done for the passed 16 years of my life. My company are deciding to remove the upper management position Im in. They see it as a way to be more profitable so ive accepted that. Traxxas just see this as a way to be more profitable/successful thats all it is. Business

Sorry to hear that. That sucks but after 16 years I assume you'll be set for a little bit. 

There's making people redundent as a company moves on and there's putting people out of business using loop holes. They are entirely different. Every business I've been in has never set out to put the competition out of business but make a better product. Nothing more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babylon said:

It's all pretty simple really, Traxxas are the bully in the playground, Everyone has been playing nicely together for years, Traxxas has walked into the playground and nicked everyone else's ball and called it there's, You now need to ask them if you can use your ball for a little while, But it will cost you your dinner money.

:lol:

Exactly... Childish nonsense.

Well, I guess, people who are still buying new Traxxas vehicles can't really call themselves loyal hobbyists?

They are essentially funding the lawyers that could end hundreds of other brands, not only having the potential to make new products go a bit stale, but also make it so some people can't upgrade/repair there vehicles when needed.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mond said:

Sorry to hear that. That sucks but after 16 years I assume you'll be set for a little bit. 

There's making people redundent as a company moves on and there's putting people out of business using loop holes. They are entirely different. Every business I've been in has never set out to put the competition out of business but make a better product. Nothing more. 

Thanks for that :) Yes youre correct, im being compensated well into 5 figures, but also going into a trade i know nothing about and going at it alone so very scary, but sure ill be fine. Ive got some money behind me, my Mrs earns a decentish wedge, and Ive got no children who depend on me, so im perhaps better set than some in my position? Who knows

Edited by Guns

3 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

:lol:

Exactly... Childish nonsense.

Well, I guess, people who are still buying new Traxxas vehicles can't really call themselves loyal hobbyists?

They are essentially funding the lawyers that could end hundreds of other brands, not only having the potential to make new products go a bit stale, but also make it so some people can't upgrade/repair there vehicles when needed.

Just my opinion of course.

Guessing as youre a ‘loyal hobbyist’ uve never ever used the internet to buy a part and everythings been ordered in my your local hobby shop then?

• Like 1

Just now, Guns said:

Guessing as youre a ‘loyal hobbyist’ uve never ever used the internet to buy a part and everythings been ordered in my your local hobby shop then?

I don't have a local hobby shop, it closed down after 26 years of successful trading, through people like me, who bought from him for years :D the closest shop to me that actually has any stock of anything I'd be interested in is around 100 miles away each way, that's no longer considered local, nor is it practical, plus they do online trading, so I buy stuff through them online.

I don't have a choice but to order online for most stuff, I would much rather go to a shop, have a browse, make purchases etc... But that just isn't possible when I live in such a rural area.

On that note, the two most local shops to me, both around 100 miles away, don't actually have shops as such, they are more like collection points, so I still wouldn't be able to go in to browse and buy, I'd still have to order through them online (which I do, as one is Modelsport)

While I don't feel you needed that explanation, I hope that answers your question ;) 

BTW, literally the ONLY reason Im a Traxxas fan boy is cause they actually appear to develop a parts supply/spares network. Ive got money burning a hole in my pocket to buy a new model. Id love a Savage Flux or a Vorza. Nope not in stock.  Same with Arrma, same with Hobao spares. Losi literally doubled their prices few months ago. You can tell me all this is Traxxas fault, but theres more to it than this...

Just now, Oh How Original said:

I don't have a local hobby shop, it closed down after 26 years of successful trading, through people like me, who bought from him for years :D the closest shop to me that actually has any stock of anything I'd be interested in is around 100 miles away each way, that's no longer considered local, nor is it practical, plus they do online trading, so I buy stuff through them online.

I don't have a choice but to order online for most stuff, I would much rather go to a shop, have a browse, make purchases etc... But that just isn't possible when I live in such a rural area.

On that note, the two most local shops to me, both around 100 miles away, don't actually have shops as such, they are more like collection points, so I still wouldn't be able to go in to browse and buy, I'd still have to order through them online (which I do, as one is Modelsport)

While I don't feel you needed that explanation, I hope that answers your question ;) 

It does and thats fair enough. Have your ‘Loyal Hobbyist’ Card back haha

• Thanks 1

Just now, Guns said:

It does and thats fair enough. Have your ‘Loyal Hobbyist’ Card back haha

I am one of probably few who would rather get off my backside and go to a local shop lol.

Love checking out new models, getting hands on, picking up the odd bargain etc... But sadly, I can't anymore :( 

My my, not an encouraging history for traxxas !!

They've been in a courtroom more times than a lawyer......

Here's all the lawsuits they've ever filed;

July 2, 2014 Traxxas vs Namero (redcat) ( Regarding terremoto 1/8 rtr)

https://www.scribd.com/document/232575603/Traxxas-v-Namero-LLC-d-b-a-Redcat-Racing

• jan 22, 2015 traxxas Vs Amazon (reg. Quadcopter frame)

https://www.scribd.com/document/253554788/Traxxas-v-Amazon-Complaint

• Aug 2, 2016 Traxxas vs hobbico (arrma durango) (reg. Integrated centre point steering system in model vehicle)

https://www.scribd.com/document/320063741/Traxxas-v-Hobbico-Amended-Complaint

• Oct 29, 2014 traxxas vs hobbywing (reg. Electrical connectors)

https://www.scribd.com/document/244989570/Traxxas-LP-v-HobbyKing-Corp-Complaint

• Feb 14, 2014 traxxas vs hobbyshack (dhk) (reg. Waterproof receiver box)

https://www.scribd.com/document/207017292/Traxxas-v-Hobby-Shack-D-B-A-Global-Hobby-Distributors important to note these where not the maker of the dhk hunter, with the offending receiver box, but the distributor four the u.s

Here's the icing on the cake

unknown date Traxxas even sued the company who made their factory:043:

https://www.law360.com/articles/408089/hobby-car-co-sues-dallas-architects-over-32m-complex-plan

unknown date Here's another one, traxxas sued 'extreme machines' 

http://www.ndtexblog.com/?p=691

• july 10, 2015 traxxas sues hpi racing

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/texas/txedce/2:2015cv01267/161386

• July 23, 2014 traxxas sues wpl????

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/georgia/gasdce/1:2016cv00081/69461

• 2008 traxxas sues ofna

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/texas/txndce/3:2008cv01702/180385

• 2010 traxxas sues xi you arts toy company (autoscales)

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/texas/txndce/3:2008cv01702/180385

• there's also a few citable references that show traxxas forced dollarhobbyz to cease "breaking" new traxxas models for parts, this was settled through mediation that dollarhobbyz agreed to become a supported stockist and thus forth would only sell traxxas models (complete) or traxxas parts in bags (obtained direct from traxxas)

And a lot of bad feeling from other distributors tower hobbies etc etc

Here's the job advert traxxas put out for the patent attorney, lol

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/jobs/Patent%20Attorney.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiw6p6lvLfZAhVsIsAKHWGMD6YQFjAGegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0whmauOzMteErE0HJRuqzc

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Well traxxarse...what an absolute joke of an rc company u really are ..nothing they do surprises me any more..the only people that will suffer because of their ridiculous behaviour is the general hobbyist. 

Like ive said before if the time comes that they are the only rc company left, that will be me done with this hobby...id rather set fire (much like their electrics) to my money than give it to these idiots!

Edited by superduke
  • Like 3

Here's the only times I've found that traxxas have been sued

Here's field motorsports attempting to sue traxxas over monies power from licensing the 'monster jam'

Tried to sue four $1.2 million!!!!!!!!!!!

june 26, 2014 Traxxas won

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/texas/txedce/4:2014cv00463/153611/29/

Excerpt from case

Plaintiff Traxxas LP (“Traxxas”) is a Texas limited partnership with its principal place of business in Collin County, Texas, which designs and builds remote-controlled cars, trucks, and other vehicles. Defendant Feld Motor Sports, Inc. (“FMS”) is a Delaware corporation with its principal place of business in Aurora, Illinois. This case arises out of a dispute over the amount of royalties owed as a result of the Monster Jam Merchandise License Agreement (the “License 
Agreement”) entered into by the parties on or about September 20, 2010. 
 FMS contends that Traxxas failed to pay certain royalties allegedly owed under the License Agreement. FMS conducted an audit and provided the results of that audit to Traxxas on March 12, 2014, which concluded that Traxxas owed FMS $1,174,987.58 in unpaid royalties. 
Traxxas disputed that the royalties were owed and the amount of royalties owed, and on April 14, 2014, filed a petition in the District Court of Collin County, Texas, seeking a declaratory judgment that Traxxas “does not owe [FMS] royalties on the Excluded Stampede Models” (Dkt. #5, Ex. E at ¶ 19). However, Traxxas did not serve FMS with process at that time, and parties

And another company sueing traxxas

Textron specialized vehicles vs traxxas

June10.2015  https://dockets.justia.com/docket/georgia/gasdce/1:2016cv00081/69461

Edited by Fly In My Soup