• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need advice on a 1/24 scale Crawler.

So my buddies hook up every now and then for some crawling action.

They run 1/24 scale crawlers which I’d like to get into as well.

What are my best options? I really like the realistic scale looking jeeps, flat beds etc and want to end up with a battered looking rust bucket when I’ve finished with it.

Been looking at Gelande 2 D90

Apparently a good starting point but rubbish motor. Is that true?also o it stated as 1/18. So presume about 2” larger that 1/24?

Are the other options out there that won’t break the bank.

F150 F350 , Hilux,wrangler jeep etc? Can’t find much searching blindly. Any help gratefully received. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Outback Mini due December 13th so not long to wait.   :D

John

It's was available yesterday and I ordered one as soon as I could, I just phoned Wheelspin to check and they'll be getting them tomorrow or Friday so I should have it early next week. The chap I spoke to phoned someone (CML I think) and was told they've sold out and are expecting more stock on the 20th Jan. 

7 hours ago, NOFX said:

Wheelspin are renowned for saying they have stock, then after I've ordered, they ain't  :/ . They did it so much that I stopped using 'em .

It's why I rang them and despite the assurances I was given I'm ready to be disappointed.

Back to topic, ECX are doing a version also, with a different body and tyres, and higher price tag.

This video makes me hungry.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

It's why I rang them and despite the assurances I was given I'm ready to be disappointed.

Back to topic, ECX are doing a version also, with a different body and tyres, and higher price tag.

This video makes me hungry.

This is on my want list.

had the little gelande and yeah that motor really lets it down but their is a upgrade twin motor set up that cures it. :good:

• Like 1

Agree with the above.

It’s a bit like comparing the Outback and the Mauler. The Mauler easily goes over obstacles that would stop an Outback in it’s tracks. One is a proper crawler and the other a trailer. Both good at what they do but you have to decide what you want one for,

John

22 hours ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Bought an outback. Loads of hop up bits available.
Good price and a good pedigree.

Lol, where is this pedigree you speak of?

the 1/10 outback whilst being popular and bits available for them doesn’t for one minute make it good. Yes it’s good value for money and the easiest way to get into scale crawling/trailing.

as for the mini outback, again look for parts support. The reason I recommended the little ecx version is the fact tyres are easily sourced for little money and it looks awesome too, being horizon hobby does limit shops that stock them modelsport don’t.

@Isle of Wight Basher, we need pics and possibly video too mate, you know the rules :ph34r: :whistling: :good: 

I had  a good look round for a mini Outback, ordered one and was told they are expected on the 13th too. In the end I cancelled and kept looking daily via eBay - Ordered from here in the end...works out a bit cheaper and has been dispatched!

Lol, where is this pedigree you speak of?

the 1/10 outback whilst being popular and bits available for them doesn’t for one minute make it good. Yes it’s good value for money and the easiest way to get into scale crawling/trailing.

as for the mini outback, again look for parts support. The reason I recommended the little ecx version is the fact tyres are easily sourced for little money and it looks awesome too, being horizon hobby does limit shops that stock them modelsport don’t.

[mention=14105]Isle of Wight Basher[/mention], we need pics and possibly video too mate, you know the rules [emoji185] :whistling: :good: 

Thought the eco was great. Didn't really have the budget for it as it's just for a little bit of fun.
I can see the outback is a little weak when in crawling situations but it's enjoyable.
PEDIGREE may be the wrong word. So sorry.
How about track record?
I was under the impression that the full size version was a decent piece of kit. But I'm new to this And am only going on threads on here and other people's opinions etc. My bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The original outback with some fettling was and still is a cheap and easy way into scale crawling/trailing with decent performance.

Hopefully the outback 2 has remedied some of the headaches from the original and will make it better again.

But when you compare to the likes of Axial and the SCX10 range then you realise what pedigree is in the scale RC market.

Look at the amount of aftermarket support it gets from 3rd party manufacturers. Its the kind of stuff only FTX owners can dream of.

Like i say though chalk and cheese stuff, but i am not poo pooing the outback, aslong as you realise its limitations then there will never be disappointment.

Carisma Scale Adventure is the one to watch at the moment with the Coyote. It sits a smidge ahead of the Outback cost wise but appears to have more room for customisation and upgrading.

• Thanks 1

My mini outback arrived yesterday, haven't run it yet. First impressions are:

Positive:

- Chassis / body look excellent and realistic

- Appears to be sturdy and has good articulation

- It comes across as a new born baby of an SCX10 :lol: 

Negative:

- No foam inserts in the badly glued tyres

- Decals are pre applied to the body, but in the box is the empty sheet with 1 leftover (so it looks the person in the factory couldn't be bothered lol)

- Body could do with lifting as the tyres rub when fully articulated

Although there are 3 pro's and 3 con's, I would give it a 9 out of 10 because the moment it came out the box it looked "right". Lets hope it performs well now!