• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

12 hours ago, locky said:

Finished removing paint from windscreen, just the rear left, F-150 High Trail came with window stickers. Think I'll not bother with trying to detail black window rubber trim as cant see any method.

Zi49Zma.jpg

To be fair, it looks good just like that

2 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

So my new motor/esc combo arrived today, omg there is control now! Only thing i didnt think of since i have the pro lighting system you cant plug the motor wire in for the reverse and stop lamps, but its kinda weird as sometimes when you go into reverse the stop lights come on and when reversing for a few seconds the reverse light comes on, so its a bit of a fail and a win at the same time. Since i lifted the suspension i figured i needed bigger wheels to finish it off so i liked the look of the mud slinger tyres (i am waiting on wide 2.2 rims to arrive so to fit them) but think i may have failed as they are only 20mm bigger than whats on already so only 10mm more all round if that makes sense but im not convinced i am going to be able to steer with them on! They are only 5mm bigger than the tyres that come standard on a high trail, am i missing something, are they really that much bigger?!

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

Bit of a size difference in them tyres will they fit in the wheel arch when flexing?

28 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Bit of a size difference in them tyres will they fit in the wheel arch when flexing?

Thats what im about, these tyres are 139mm and the high trail trx4 are 135, i have the same amount of lift as the high trail but im not convinced they are going to fit, the tyres on just now are 120mm but the new ones look way way bigger 

Eventually i may try raising the body a bit and put a thick bit of draught excluder foam in there to seal off the gap

Edited by wolfie1

34 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Only thing i didnt think of since i have the pro lighting system you cant plug the motor wire in for the reverse and stop lamps, but its kinda weird as sometimes when you go into reverse the stop lights come on and when reversing for a few seconds the reverse light comes on, so its a bit of a fail and a win at the same time.

Dont know if this helps assumes you have bluetooth module, In the lights dashboard, but I think it is still buggy software.
click Edit to get to the advanced settings. Scroll down to Reverse Lights and change the action from “Reverse” to “Brake”. Now your reverse lights will come on as soon as you push the throttle in the reverse direction.

5 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Thats what im about, these tyres are 139mm and the high trail trx4 are 135, i have the same amount of lift as the high trail but im not convinced they are going to fit, the tyres on just now are 120mm but the new ones look way way bigger 

Eventually i may try raising the body a bit and put a thick bit of draught excluder foam in there to seal off the gap

Well I’m very interested to see how it works out 👍

51 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

So my new motor/esc combo arrived today, omg there is control now! Only thing i didnt think of since i have the pro lighting system you cant plug the motor wire in for the reverse and stop lamps, but its kinda weird as sometimes when you go into reverse the stop lights come on and when reversing for a few seconds the reverse light comes on, so its a bit of a fail and a win at the same time. Since i lifted the suspension i figured i needed bigger wheels to finish it off so i liked the look of the mud slinger tyres (i am waiting on wide 2.2 rims to arrive so to fit them) but think i may have failed as they are only 20mm bigger than whats on already so only 10mm more all round if that makes sense but im not convinced i am going to be able to steer with them on! They are only 5mm bigger than the tyres that come standard on a high trail, am i missing something, are they really that much bigger?!

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

Those are huge and wont fit, they will scrub if not on everything atleast the shocks, rails and side trays.
Also a note, you do not need fans on the motor or the esc, unless your planning on doing 50mph in it, they dont get hot, they run cool enough to no need fans, fans reduce your runtime and are not needed, they do sound fun "buzz" but its car not a fan 😉

6 minutes ago, Redback said:

Those are huge and wont fit, they will scrub if not on everything atleast the shocks, rails and side trays.
Also a note, you do not need fans on the motor or the esc, unless your planning on doing 50mph in it, they dont get hot, they run cool enough to no need fans, fans reduce your runtime and are not needed, they do sound fun "buzz" but its car not a fan 😉

Thanks for the feedback, they are no wider than whats on their already, are you on about when turning to lock? The esc came with the fan fitted and the 1 on the motor comes on at 50 degrees and off again at 45 so doesnt run all the time, if im messing about with the trailer is used to come on with the standard traxxas system. I did think that there may be a slight fitment issue when i opened the packet, but they are bought now not much i can do about that and i doubt they would take them back, whats the worst that can happen………………….. 🤣

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Fitted this

d12zcGo.jpg

To this

loZ3T9M.jpg

will probably try it out in garden tomorrow :good:

Awesome, i just went outside in the dark to try mine out, only stayed out a wee while as its bloody cold out, was snowing here today!

I totally wanted the trx6 but really wanted a land rover, pity they didnt do such a thing, yours looks awesome though 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Awesome, i just went outside in the dark to try mine out, only stayed out a wee while as its bloody cold out, was snowing here today!

I totally wanted the trx6 but really wanted a land rover, pity they didnt do such a thing, yours looks awesome though 🙂

Cheers mate :good:

Yeh i was same got the Landy and really liked it so bit the bullit and got the 6  but im really liking the 6 tho 

Whats the general thoughts on something like this, i see there is 2 very similar ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234834963699?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LS1zRohWT--&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=534660722804&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

parts would prob be an issue but i wonder if trx6 things could used

Edited by wolfie1

33 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

It looks smart but i have no idea how good it is 

I had never seen such a thing until after i bought my land rover, i have seen the shells for sale separately,  if i had known i would own a trx6 and 1 of them shells and have a trx land rover now, but hey im happy with my landie, i have seen a range rover classic body for the trx4 but its way expensive

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Thanks for the feedback, they are no wider than whats on their already, are you on about when turning to lock? The esc came with the fan fitted and the 1 on the motor comes on at 50 degrees and off again at 45 so doesnt run all the time, if im messing about with the trailer is used to come on with the standard traxxas system. I did think that there may be a slight fitment issue when i opened the packet, but they are bought now not much i can do about that and i doubt they would take them back, whats the worst that can happen………………….. 🤣

50c is not hot these have cuttoffs in the 100s of c they do come with a fan no one uses the fan as its not needed 🙂
Width isnt the issue even with spacers they will rub due to scrub angles, i have 2.2 traxxas canyon tires they are not as big as other 2.2s so i use them on the back of the outlaw to underdrive the rear and 2.2 rc4wds on the front that are 5mm bigger on the front to over drive it.
The height is the issue, when loaded on a corner, see it will rub your metal sliders or front bumper.

Edited by Redback

I had the Hobao DC1 as my 1st crawler/trail truck  it was a kit and i guess it gave me the bug

Then i got the Redcat Wendigo bought from .A.J. a mod on forum and it showed what a crawler can do 

Then got the TRX4 out the box i was gobsmacked how good it was but i really wanted the 6 but it was a lot of dosh to splash out if it wasnt any good and thats why went TRX4

Then TRX6 do i regret it no not a jot absolutely love it . Its not as top heavy as the landy and the longer wheelbase helps it climb but it doesnt turn quite as well as the Landy 

29 minutes ago, Redback said:

50c is not hot these have cuttoffs in the 100s of c they do come with a fan no one uses the fan as its not needed 🙂
Width isnt the issue even with spacers they will rub due to scrub angles, i have 2.2 traxxas canyon tires they are not as big as other 2.2s so i use them on the back of the outlaw to underdrive the rear and 2.2 rc4wds on the front that are 5mm bigger on the front to over drive it.
The height is the issue, when loaded on a corner, see it will rub your metal sliders or front bumper.

Them xl tyres i bought are 4mm taller than the tyres on the high trail models, since i raised my suspension to the same height as the high trail i just figured they would fit, pain that they wont im not going to lie.

I did disconnect the fan from the esc from your advice earlier, when you see the combo for sale it doesnt show a fan, I initially thought i had been sent the wrong 1 when it arrived

32 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I had the Hobao DC1 as my 1st crawler/trail truck  it was a kit and i guess it gave me the bug

Then i got the Redcat Wendigo bought from .A.J. a mod on forum and it showed what a crawler can do 

Then got the TRX4 out the box i was gobsmacked how good it was but i really wanted the 6 but it was a lot of dosh to splash out if it wasnt any good and thats why went TRX4

Then TRX6 do i regret it no not a jot absolutely love it . Its not as top heavy as the landy and the longer wheelbase helps it climb but it doesnt turn quite as well as the Landy 

Trx4 is my first proper crawler, that being said i did used to do crawling with my cen gst, it was better at crawling once i changed from the 7.7cc to a 5.9cc, only difference being was you used brute force and power to get out of a tight spot where a crawler is more about finesse 

Trx6 would be better at towing a trailer with the extra axle, never know might get the ultimate hauler 1 day

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

After having fitted the Quickrun Fusion to the TRX6 i got a chance to test it today

Really impressed with the slow speed control with it

Got the Truck moving and switched cruise control on and it just crawled its way along  :good:

that looks fantastic from the look of that  this motor combo will be a permanent setup for all my future rigs 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

After having fitted the Quickrun Fusion to the TRX6 i got a chance to test it today

Really impressed with the slow speed control with it

Got the Truck moving and switched cruise control on and it just crawled its way along  :good:

Well how about that, does what it says on the box 😉 new you wouldnt be able to fault it.

• Haha 1